Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

USA Today article about Sphynx & pet therapy

Annelies

Lairian
this is so cool, I think that it's totally true, animail can help people recover! Thanks for the wonderful article!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's great!! The only thing that caught my attention is when they said there were only "several thousand in the US". I know they're rare and maybe it's because I hang out here (where it seems like EVERYONE owns a sphynx---as it should be haha), but it struck me as a low number. Are my babies rarer than I'm giving them credit for? lol

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a great story, Brooke...thanks for sharing! :ThumbsUp: The more I go on the animal therapy visits with Piglet, the more I see how ideal our beloved sphynx cats are for this kind of work. :BigSmile: The residents and the kids we see on our visits always comment on how calm, sweet, and soft Piglet is once they start petting her. No matter how bad they feel or what kind of day they've had, they all feel better and smile more once they've been around the Pigster for a few minutes.

Next month Piglet and I will be participating in a new program in Denver called "Shots for Tots". This program provides free vaccinations for disadvantaged kids; the therapy animals are there to comfort the kids as they are getting their shots. The "Shots for Tots'" coordinators are pretty excited to be getting their first "therapy hairless cat" for their program next month!

Brooke, I will forward this story to my associates at the American Humane Association...they will be tickled pink to read it! :Smile:

Back