Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Using other litter box question

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I currently have a small kitten size litter box downstairs and a regular size top entry litter box upstairs. Sophie uses the small downstairs litter box- which is great- but I eventually just want her to use the upstairs one.

She will climb on top of the top entry box but I've only gotten her to go inside it twice. She doesn't seem to think its a litter box? I purposely go into the room multiple times a day and she will follow me and sit on top of the box. If I look interested in it she will look inside of it.

I have no problem giving her all the time she needs but I didn't know if I should do anything now so she doesn't discredit it as a litter box all together. One of the times she went inside it then jumped out and went downstairs and went in her downstairs box!

I'm using Dr. Elsey's with Cat Attract in both boxes. I considered taking the top off the litter box temporarily but was afraid it might scare her.

I can't tell if its just a matter of time or if I should do something now. Any suggestions?

Brooke

Banned
This sounds kinda gross, but try taking some of her poop from the other box (and maybe a lump of pee, too) and put it in the top-entry box. Hopefully that will help her make the connection and know what she's supposed to do when she's in there. And, as always, lots of praise and maybe a treat or two whenever she goes in the box - even if she doesn't leave anything behind, just so she knows it's good to go in there.

Is your goal to eventually eliminate the kitten box downstairs? When you're ready to do that - this is gross too, but let the kitten box get dirty and she will most likely prefer to use the clean one upstairs. Good luck!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, have you tried putting some of the used cat litter from her downstairs box into the one upstairs? Also you could try putting the downstairs box upstais next to the other one and she might gradually start to use both then you could try taking the other one away? I think taking the top off might work too, once shes used it a couple of times sure she'll be away!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you Brooke and Sam! These are great ideas.

I just put some used clumps in the upstairs one. :ThumbsUp:

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Any luck yet?

I've seen the top entry boxes and they look like a dream for keeping litter contained but I'm not sure my girls would be inclined to put that much effort into getting inside. They like to saunter in and out of our covered ones, lol.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Leave the lid off for a little bit and add some of the litter from the other pan.
You can also sit her in the pan so she will get used to it.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Cats can be really picky with thier litter boxes...she could just like the actual litter box. Or she could like the location. I would say try swapping out the boxes. But the one upstairs downstairs, and vice versa. I had a cat that wouldn't touch one litter box, and peed on the floor next to it. I ended up taking the top off, and moving it to the laundry room, and she's done her business in it ever since. lol Cats can be so wierd sometimes

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
YAY Sophie is doing really well so far. I took a risk and removed the downstairs litter box completely. I knew I'd be home for a few days so every time she went to where the box used to be I took her upstairs.

Turns out she didn't like the upstairs box because it was too far of a jump to get inside it. I put a box under it to lift the liner and litter up higher. Then she would freely go inside it.

I did what you guys said and took some "items" and litter from the old box and that worked!

Just now, she went from playing downstairs up to use the box for the first time. I gave her a treat on her way back down the stairs and she started purring. She makes me melt! :Adore:

Last edited:
Back