Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

uuugggghhhh....

skinandbones

Lairian
So Luna is sick... AGAIN. Heres the run down of her medical record.

She's 7 months old today. She has a heart murmur that docs have said is anywhere from a I-III grade (i'm saving the money for a cardiologist, but it keeps getting sucked up by vet bills).

First she had URI shortly after I got her. Then she got gross eye that we finally cleared up with terramycin (sp).

She got cough with drippy eyes that they put her on clavamox. She got off of those and then rebounded by getting a fever and wet lungs that they gave her MORE clavamox for.

Then she has two raw rash spots on her front legs and her back heels are busted open (they started as small bruises a few months ago and now have gotten much worse) and the legs are swollen just below the heels. the doc said it was probably a skin infection and gave her an antibiotic shot and prednizone (sp) (this was last saturday)

NOW she is starting to get a fever again and her lungs are sounding a little sloppy and she still has the rash and heel issues.

ARGGGG!!!! I love my baby so much! I haven't even been able to get her Rabies shots because she's had so many immunological issues. I need to get her healthy, fixed, echo-ed and happy! :Sweat:

Any thoughts?

Brooke

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear about your sick baby. :Cry:

You are definitely on the right track planning to get an echo. Can't stress that enough!

For the URI and eye issues, has your vet recommended L-Lysine? It's an amino acid that helps keep feline herpes at bay and works as a great natural immune booster. If you do a forum search here for Lysine, you'll find tons of information about it.

I'm curious about the rash/swollen legs. What does your vet think is causing that? Does the medication seem to help?

skinandbones

Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear about your sick baby. :Cry:

You are definitely on the right track planning to get an echo. Can't stress that enough!

For the URI and eye issues, has your vet recommended L-Lysine? It's an amino acid that helps keep feline herpes at bay and works as a great natural immune booster. If you do a forum search here for Lysine, you'll find tons of information about it.

I'm curious about the rash/swollen legs. What does your vet think is causing that? Does the medication seem to help?

She said she thought it was skin infection and she said if it wasn't that then maybe it was mites... I don't know.... I've been putting bacitracin on the open wounds to keep them from getting infected and this has helped a little but they are still so sad looking and you can tell that they are uncomfortable to her.

I've heard about the L-Lysine, I actually just use a regular vitamin that you get from walmart and crush it up into their wet food. Its helped with the eyes, but everything else has gone to crap lol.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my poor Luna! 7 months old and having all those problems? Have you contacted the breeder? Things like this seem to be too often lately? You seem to be headed in the right direction as Brooke said.
Another reason to do your research before buying pets, I know it can be easy to get caught up in the excitment when getting A new pet, but most of the time A little research goes A long way and saves us from A broken heart and lots of $$$.
Best of luck I hope that things start to look better!

skinandbones

Lairian
Oh my poor Luna! 7 months old and having all those problems? Have you contacted the breeder? Things like this seem to be too often lately? You seem to be headed in the right direction as Brooke said.
Another reason to do your research before buying pets, I know it can be easy to get caught up in the excitment when getting A new pet, but most of the time A little research goes A long way and saves us from A broken heart and lots of $$$.
Best of luck I hope that things start to look better!

havent talked to the breeder lately. i'm going to try and get ahold of her again.

sucky thing is I wasn't told about the murmur before I had her. Now, don't get me wrong, i wouldn't trade her for the world! but, i would have liked to have known before i fell in love with her, ya know? (love at first sight)

i got her from the same breeder that i got my other sphynx maggie from (who is just peachy as far as i can tell, however i'm going to get her screened for HCM as well, as i recall the doc saying her heart looked a little big when she was really little)

I just want them to be healthy!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would talk to the breeder ASAP.
I hope she feels better.
You can track her lines and see if there is HCM in them.

PitRottMommy

Banned
You need to speak promptly with your vet about changing medications. Using steroids on a pet that has a weakened immune system is a bad idea. With her upper resp. problems showing up again, its time to visit with him/her specifically about Luna.

Feline herpes can cause eye and upper respiratory problems. It's likely this is what she has considering her consistent battle with the problems. As Brooke mention, Lysine is a wonderful supplement to help both.

I'd advise you to call your veterinarian tomorrow, before you give more steroids.

skinandbones

Lairian
You need to speak promptly with your vet about changing medications. Using steroids on a pet that has a weakened immune system is a bad idea. With her upper resp. problems showing up again, its time to visit with him/her specifically about Luna.

Feline herpes can cause eye and upper respiratory problems. It's likely this is what she has considering her consistent battle with the problems. As Brooke mention, Lysine is a wonderful supplement to help both.

I'd advise you to call your veterinarian tomorrow, before you give more steroids.

the vet gave her more clavamox. She tried to give prednisone again and I turned her down (I'm in nursing school and know that the steroids can be counter productive to immune health so I decided that we would forgo that recomendation) also got drop for yeast infection in her ears. I'm going to give her some benydryl for the rash and l-lysine and pray. I'm also looking for a new vet who knows my breed. (the lady today said that she didn't even realize that sphynx needed baths (huh?!) they don't have someone there that I can see on a consistent basis.

So that's where we stand for now

Brooke

Banned
the vet gave her more clavamox. She tried to give prednisone again and I turned her down (I'm in nursing school and know that the steroids can be counter productive to immune health so I decided that we would forgo that recomendation) also got drop for yeast infection in her ears. I'm going to give her some benydryl for the rash and l-lysine and pray. I'm also looking for a new vet who knows my breed. (the lady today said that she didn't even realize that sphynx needed baths (huh?!) they don't have someone there that I can see on a consistent basis.

So that's where we stand for now

Good call on turning down the steroids! If it is FHV (and it sounds like it is), steroids could actually cause a flare-up. Lysine is the best thing for keeping it at bay, and antibiotics only to treat secondary infections during a flare-up. If it gets really bad, they can treat with anti-virals, but as I'm sure you know, there is no cure - just treating the symptoms until the immune system can push the virus back into remission.

If you could tell us a bit more about this rash, maybe we can offer some help there. When did it start, what does it look like, etc...? Since you're giving benadryl, I assume you think the rash is an allergic reaction to something - perhaps her diet?

susi794

Staff member
:Cry: OMG--poor little Luna! So sorry to hear of all her woes. No fair having so many issues when you're just 7 mos. old! :Angry: But not fair at any age either for that matter. Get better soon, Luna!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Luna, sorry to hear she is going through this and so young.

I hope you're able to find a new vet familiar with the breed. Feel better Luna!

Back