Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vaccinations

MoBaldock8

Lairian
I had a question about vaccinations regarding my kittens. I recently switched vets due to an overwhelming time it takes to be seen by our vet, even in the event of an emergency (sometimes up to three weeks!). I was told by our original vet that you can never vaccinate a kitten in the scruff of the neck, for reasons I cannot recall, but this new vet did vaccinate in the scruff of the neck.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this and why you would avoid vaccinating in the neck, or if it is even a concern at all.

Thank you!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@MoBaldock8 I am not a vet and this is no way set in stone, but recently most vets do not vaccinate in the scruff. Some studies have shown possible tumors might be linked to vaccinations, so they are choosing areas to vaccinate that are closer to limbs in case of the need for possible amputation etc.

They are now also trying to get vets to administer the same vaccines in the same spot should people change vets or get babies without a history and if complications arise they have a better idea from what vaccine.

Here is an article I found...again I am not a vet, but shows they are staying away from the scruff and trying to regulate what areas are used.

Administering the Vaccine
The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) recommends that each type of feline vaccine be given to cats in a specific location on the body.

For feline 3-way or 4-way combination vaccines that do NOT contain feline leukemia, the injection should be given on the outside portion of the right front leg below the elbow joint.

For rabies vaccines (which are administered by your veterinarian) the injection should be given subcutaneously on the outside of the right rear leg below the knee.

For feline leukemia vaccines, the injection should be given on the outside of the left rear leg, below the knee.

Hope this helps a bit. I think it is great that they are standardizing some things so it helps owners in the future.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our first vet vaccinated in the scruff of the neck, the new one did it by their legs. You can ask them to put a note on your file to have vaccinations done by the leg in the future if you wish.

MoBaldock8

Lairian
Thank you guys. My husband asked after the first vaccination was done and she did say something about tumors, but she seemed to brush it off. I'll ask them to do this differently next time. We are going through a frustrating time finding a vet we trust and like!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I recently had a member share with me a pic after their baby had been vaccinated. It was an adult cat, but the vet put 2 big X marks on the vaccination sites after getting 2 shots. I thought it was great the vet wanted reference marks should bumps occur the next day etc. It seems to be the buzz and it is great they are tracking.

Back