Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Justified143

Lairian
Has anyone heard of Sphynx or any other cats getting cancer from their vaccine site? My 7 year old male Sphynx got a huge tumor on his back, between his shoulders. I've taken him to two vets and both agree that his mass was caused from his vaccination site. He had surgery to have it removed only for it to come back even much larger within 6 months. To make him comfortable, he's had a 2nd surgery but I won't put him through that again as the mass is very likely to come back. His prognosis doesn't look good at all. I'd appreciate any info any of you may have. Thank you

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry to hear this news. There have been some discussions here about certain vaccinations and which not to get as there is a risk of sarcomas. Many breeders will void contracts if you get certain vaccines as well. It has become more rare for sarcomas to happen with changes in vaccination frequency, not administering 2 different vaccination in same area etc. Here is a previous thread with more Info. http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...-for-my-sphynx-fibrosarcoma.8925/#post-123779.
You can also type in sarcoma in the search area and several more threads pop up on the topic. I respect your decision to not put your baby through more surgery.. Positive thoughts are sent.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry your baby has gone through this and you to.
I know your heartbroken. I wouldn't put him through any more surgeries
either. I think you have his best interest and just enjoy him.
Try to keep him as pain free as possible. Prayers for your baby and you.
Keep us updated about him.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your little are going through this.

Our little ones are so sensitive, I can't imagine what your going through.

Stay strong and enjoy your baby!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone heard of Sphynx or any other cats getting cancer from their vaccine site? My 7 year old male Sphynx got a huge tumor on his back, between his shoulders. I've taken him to two vets and both agree that his mass was caused from his vaccination site. He had surgery to have it removed only for it to come back even much larger within 6 months. To make him comfortable, he's had a 2nd surgery but I won't put him through that again as the mass is very likely to come back. His prognosis doesn't look good at all. I'd appreciate any info any of you may have. Thank you
Sorry to hear of your issue, unfortunately as @Catzzzmeow had mentioned, it does sound like Sarcoma and there has been a link associated with Sarcoma that some experts say a tumor at the injection site can form and it can go either way, cancerous or malignant. They say its more prevalent with the FeLV and or rabies vaccines injected into the shoulder, neck area. Its a theory that vaccinations cause Sarcoma in some animals in most cases according to some experts.

Justified143

Lairian
Thank you all for your input, advice and well wishes for my guy. I'm reading the suggested threads and other info suggested. It's wonderful to have this site to get info and support from like minded Sphynx lovers. My babies (I have a brother & sister) both give me so much. We will cherish what time we have and try to think positive thoughts to try and make the rest of his days as stress free as possible and to spoil him even more than they both already are.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just know we are here for you :) Your baby is living in the present and knows nothing else but your love :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I'm so sorry for you and your sphynx boy. I hope the tumor will stay away for as long as possible. Keep my fingers crossed for you.

Back