Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vaccines, Why should and shouldnt?

Gaily

Lairian
I have a question about the normal 2 No no vaccinations that everyone talks about.
But I wonder what happens if your cat comes with you everywhere? Would you still need to not vaccinate or would you. I understand some people void the contract. though what does it do to a Sphynx if you do.
(I also have a cousin who adopts felines with Felv I know that i wont be able to take them over to their house. cause of it. but what if i end up getting gifts from my cousins like shirts for my cat..... I dont want to make them sick by accident. I also own an Outside cat that will become an inside cat when our old 17yr old girl dies.)

Ive read over and over on many threads but i just dont understand them so separated and parted.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've taken my sphynx a lot of places with me, and they only get their rabies and yearly vaccine. No FIP or Felv ever for my guys. Its not worth the risk in my opinion for my guys anyway. I've heard that many sphynx have died due to a negative reaction to the vaccinations.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In the UK when you take home a kitten older than 8 weeks of age, it has almost always been vaccinated already. The standard vaccinations seem to be;
This thread has made me realise though, I don't actually know if my 2 boys have all of the above, or just some... :rolleyes: Well, Butchie is due for his annual booster in March, so I'll ask then.

Sheldon13

Staff member
To add to your question, I’d like to know what is so bad about the FIP vaccine? It is a heartbreaking and deadly illness with low survivability, so I just wonder, is it not worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I found this link below interesting/informative and it covers many aspects of the question to vaccinate or not and which ones. For me, I personally feel there is no reason to expose our cats to foreign/uncontrolled viruses/bacteria. Might be a control freak at heart lol. We do take our cats out in pouches and even to the pet supply store, but they do not get exposed to the floor etc. as much as we want them with us as often as possible, we prefer to not worry about the “what ifs.” Our vet did share some exotic breeds are more susceptible to reactions to meds and vaccines.

Back