Vaccines?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by Ode, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Ode

OdeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $918.31
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am trying to figure out what vaccines my Sphynx should really have? Ive been reading none from some websites? Is this what is really safest?

2. Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $216,964.24
    Ratings:
    +19,600
    @Ode welcome to sphynxlair. Most sphynx do get some vaccines while at the breeder. After that it depends. Some say no vaccines, others say yearly vaccines for some diseases. @Catzzzmeow If I'm right there is a thread with what kind of vaccines are commonly adviced and what not. Can you post the link for @Ode? Thanks

3. Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $438,628.29
    Ratings:
    +33,301
    • Scary sphynx
    @Ode Here is the thread mentioned Vaccines

Our breeder has it in her contract NOT to give FIP or FeLV. If we do, then her contract is null/void. Our vet is onboard with this as well. We also make sure we never have 2 vaccinations on the same vet visit. Our vet says it is safer to stagger them by a couple of weeks.

We live in NY and vaccinating against rabies is required. Some states it is not a law.

• Like Like x 2
    • Zab

ZabV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43,887.58
      Ratings:
      +4,899
      • Blue Sphynx
      Here in Sweden the vets recommend yearly vaccinations. I've asked why and the vet says that even if the cat is indoors we humans drag in stuff on our shoes. It also affects our insurance if we choose not to vaccinate yearly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Ode

OdeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $918.31
        Ratings:
        +6
        Thank you. I read through it and am still not sure what to give. I feel as if there aren’t any vets around here familiar with Dphynx, so I haven’t given my cat any since her first vet visit, she’s 5 now and is getting cold like symptoms, which she had when I got her as a kitten. Now I’m worried it’s bc she needed vaccines these past years that I e never done because my breeder said they don’t need any after the ones I took her to get.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
        • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $438,628.29
          Ratings:
          +33,301
          • Scary sphynx
          Take your baby in due to the cold like symptoms. Discuss vaccinations with your vet. They most likely won’t give a vaccination if your baby is sick but you can feel more educated about what you do want to give. @Zab is correct that you can bring in things on your shoes etc, so vaccinations are important. I just would not give the 2 I mentioned earlier.

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $102,243.13
          Ratings:
          +11,025
          • Butterflies
          • Red Sphynx
          • Pink Sphynx
          • Black Sphynx
          @Ode , always best for peace of mind to bring to vet check for any cold symptoms . Ask too out seasonal allergies

What are her cold symptoms ?Any green colored eye discharge?

I personally do not over vaccinate my adoptees - it's a discussion I have had with my vet -
          Like the rabies shot 3 yr amd 1 year is actually the same vaccine but labeled different bcz different state requirements etc . There is a titer test and some research has found it can last up to 10 years!
          You can ask your vet about titer testing too as an option .

Years ago My Bengal kitty had a life threatening reaction to his vaccines .
          my vet and I discussed it and exempted him. He lived 16 years .
          It's all very individual kitty to kitty so good to chat with your vet

When I moved here I was expecting my new vet to ream me about not updating annual /vaccinating .I was a little nervous going in to be honest . To my surprise all went well amd we had a great discussion- he was treated , we had a good discussion and they did not push vaccines bssed on my kitties health.

Like mentioned I definitely would NOT do the FIP or Felv vaccine and I will not do the Lepo vaccine on my pets either .

Many vets do like the Merial brand vaccines -
          Always ask what brand they use

do you give l-lysine supplement?

Keep us updated often

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
        • Ode

OdeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $918.31
          Ratings:
          +6
          Thank you! She does not have discharge when she was a kitten she did it was bad. I bought L-Lysene and she’s doing better even from just doing that. I’m calling a new vet to see if anyone is familiar with Sphynx. This was very helpful!

• Like Like x 1
          • Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $102,243.13
            Ratings:
            +11,025
            • Butterflies
            • Red Sphynx
            • Pink Sphynx
            • Black Sphynx
            @Ode , sending positive vibes! Keep us updated
            Do you have a pic to share so we can all awwwwh over :) ?

I live in a small town and couldn't find s sphnyx specific vet
            I did find a vet who is open minded , takes lots of them with pets during visits ,
            Amd will call amd consult with colleagues about Sphynx related issues we deal with.

You can also post a thread for a vet referral in your area:)

Always best to get vets diagnosis , meds on board early if needed to clear up any issues brewing

I am no longer afraid to go to my vets office amd let them know my choice not to over vaccinate My indoor only Sphynx and Bengal .

Never had any issues even when I took a feral cat in - we did vaccinate him since he was outside 24/7. take him and another neigh cat Raven to the local shot clinic each year( who happens to be the vet we go to )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018