Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know there has been a post on which vaccines to use and not use - but I am at work and in a hurry. Dinka is at the vet this morning for his neuter. The tech said he has not had his leukemia vaccine. I told her that I would have to get back with her on that. Do I vaccinate?:Dizzy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know that, like rabies, Feline Leukemia can only be contracted through direct exposure to an infected animal-- since sphynx are indoor cats, you almost certainly don't need it. Secondarily , any vaccine has a small risk of complications. I have chosen not to vaccinate for feline leukemia, and I don't think it's needed for the majority of Sphynxs.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here is an article from Holistic Cat.

The article makes sense to me. Vets really push these vaccines and I am starting to think it is wrong. I may be blacklisted from this vets office but I am going to speak my mind.:Struggle::Struggle:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here is an article from Holistic Cat.

The article makes sense to me. Vets really push these vaccines and I am starting to think it is wrong. I may be blacklisted from this vets office but I am going to speak my mind.:Struggle::Struggle:

I agree with this article, I don't know why this is all necessary, with our 2 furry's we did the 1st year of suggested shots. Then at 5 and 10 years, then they are too old to go through it anymore. They have been healthy with no problems. I'm starting to wonder if the 5 and 10 year shots are even necessary!

JacksMom

Banned
In all my cat owning years I have never given the fe-leuk vaccine. My personal thoughts are my cats are ALWAYS indoors and do not for any reason come into contact with animals/other cats. I, too, understand that they can contract it from another cat even sneezing on them...not sure if that is true, but if it is, I was always sure that my cats were not exposed to neighborhood cats even through my window screens! I, personally, am of the thought/belief that "less is more" when it comes to vaccines. I don't "over" vaccinate, and personally I only do rabies/distemper every 18 mos, not the typical 12 mos. However, my cats never go outside and are not exposed to any animals that I am not completely aware of their health and vaccines.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do not give the leukemia vaccine it killed my Lucy and also is in the contracts of all my cats and most other breeders contracts not to give it.
It voids the contracts.
Do not let the vet push that shot on you.
I have had vets push it on me also but refused.

Shauntay

Banned
I agree with the other posters, I would not recommend the leukemia shot.

I had taken in a rescue many years ago who was pregnant. I helped her through parturition (the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced) and cared for her and her kittens for two months when the kittens started dying. After 2 of 5 passed, hours from each other, we took in the entire family to the shelter. I was told they all tested positive for Felv. They were all sadly euthenized as per the shelter`s decision. As I had pet cats of my own during the time I cared for Nayisha, I had my gang tested as well. Only my youngest tested positive. At the vets advice, we vaccinated. It took him three days to die. He could not move, could not eat...it was heartbreaking! At that time in my life, I was of the thinking that making the decision to euthenize an animal was `playing god`, so Timber passed slowly and naturally. That experience has changed my views on the topic needless to say. I know this may be circumstantial but the vaccine did nothing for us. Also, although my other two cats had been in constant contact with Nayisha, and Timber, neither of them contracted Felv.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everybody - neuter went well. He got his pain meds and the vet said he will probably sleep through the rest of the day and night.:LOL::LOL::LOL:NOT-Dinka's eyes are dialated and everytime I check on him he starts rolling on the floor all lovey and purring then wants to play attack. He has NOT slept. It is 9PM and he is in his room staring at the litter box. I am afraid he has an addictive personality - loves the meds. Also I asked the vet about his constant weeping eyes. Vet says he has a duct that goes to his nose. Any additional tearing pools up into the inner corner of the lower lid and would drain from this duct into his nose. It could be a birth defect or the deep wrinkling that keep this from happening. Nothing serious. He gave me eye drops to give him. If it does not work then the vet could run a small fillament through the duct to open it up. Very tedious. I won't have that done. (This is the same vet that did surgery on Kika's eye, my last Sphynx and did a fantastic job). Thought it was informative. This vet spent 45 minutes with me talking about the leukemia virus. He informed me of different drug companies that made it, how they made the drug and so on. He also said that in the 80's and when the virus was rampant - he was appalled at how many cats he had to put down. Also the drugs are made different these days. The main complication rom the vaccine would be a tumor. It is how and where you inject it. There is one company that has an air driven injection but he beleives it might not deliver the amount needed, they did this to avoid the tumor issue. He said the vaccine is so different these days and is not made from the live virus anymore. Just info I thought I would pass along. Thanks for asking about Dinka. Beleive me - he is doing great.:Smile:

spygirl

Banned
Glad the neutering went well! That's kinda funny that he loves his meds. Hehe.

It's been a while since I've had a cat, so I am not at all familiar with cat vaccines. Can someone please explain to me why these vaccines are not recommended? Or point me somewhere that has an explanation? In researching breeders, I noticed that with most you void the contract if you have the vaccines done.

I'm very curious about this and only want the best for my future sphynx!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never given the FeLV vaccine, heard way too many horror stories about it. But those were from back when it was new and all they had were modified live vaccines. I'm seriously reconsidering my stance if they have killed vaccines. I allow only killed vaccines to be used on my kitties.

And since I enjoy being the harbinger of doom and rocking the boat... I will say that even though our kitties are indoors and are allowed outside only while supervised... all it takes is a kitty sneaking out and getting into a frakus with a neighborhood stray and bingo, your cat can get FeLV. Could happen in a matter of minutes. So if the vaccines are safer nowadays it may be worth reconsidering whether or not they should be given.

I'm glad Dinka is doing well. By tomorrow he probably won't even realize he's missing anything!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I still would not give it.
It killed Lucy and it is in most breeder contracts not to give.
I also had vets pushing it and still refused it.
My Lucy died in 2001 from it.
Also vets get paid to push it I know that for a fact.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Medically speaking, I'm sure there have been a lot of changes from 2001 to now. That's almost 10 years.

And yes, vets push it. I don't think anyone in their right mind would deny that. We could even discuss whether it gets pushed because vets like the money they make from it or because they want to see cats protected cause they're tired of having to put FeLV + cats to sleep.

My surgeon pushes surgeries. I know for a fact he loves the lifestyle that his patients pay for. But that doesn't mean I was willing to withhold my money and suffer with gallstones. I frankly don't care why vets - or doctors - push something, so long as its beneficial to me in the end. And if the vaccine is now safe then it could very well be beneficial. Should I never get dental work done on Pedda because I've had 2 kitties die within hours of having their teeth cleaned back in the 90's? Personally I just don't think that's a very realistic viewpoint to have.

Like I said, it's something to think about. And saying that most breeders don't recommend it or that it invalidates their contract really isn't a good defense of the "do not vaccinate" position. Perhaps it's also time for breeders to study the vaccine and data and reconsider their positions too?

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I still have a hard time with vaccinations... I get my tetanus, when I was young I only got the shots necessary to go to school.... No flu shots, no antibiotics ( twice in my life when I really needed them I did take them) I am 35 years old have have had the flu once when I was 16, and bronchitis in my 20'w neither of which I took anything for except for chicken soup and orange juice.... So because my parent's didn't overload me, and let my body build it's own antibodies I am one of the healthiest people I know. My 10 year old cat kind of went the same way, got his kitten shots, his 1 year booster and the minimum shots at 5 and 10... He is healthy as an ox! You just have to question why they overload everyone and everything with pharmaceuticals, yes some are helpful, I know, but are they all needed every year and is it really necessary? Just something to think about.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
I'm sorry, but I am mildly offended that people think Vets "Push" vaccinations. We strongly recommend them at my clinic, but if someone doesn't want certain ones, we don't go further. We'll suggest them, and tell the benefits of vaccinating, but if they decide not to, we don't push it.

Vaccines have come a LONG way in the past decade. Chances of a reaction now are 1 in 100,000.

Hell, we even have a distemper vaccine for ferrets now with a low reaction ratio.

I work in an exotics clinic, I HAVE to know what causes reactions and what doesn't, because with animals like ferrets, that are more susceptible to vaccine reactions, you have to know your stuff.

I'm sorry if you've had an animal that has passed away from a vaccination, but that is NOT the norm.

Also, veterinarians do NOT get PAID to push vaccines. At least, not in Canada. I van't speak for the States, but here, they do not. Hell, we have even orded in ALTERNATIVE vaccinations for people who dislike modified live.

Your experience might be different, but as a registered veterinary technician, and someone who is very passionate about the veterinary feild and someone who has nursed patients through vaccine reactions AND the HOST of diseases they protect against, I am FOR vaccinating.

I didn't get one of my STRICTLY INDOOR cats vaccinated againd FIV a few years back. My aunt left her dog with us while she was on vacation. Dude was terrified of the dog. Cody(the dog) spooked him one morning and he ran through the screan door. THROUGH IT. bolted. He was missing for two days. Must have gotten into a cat fight. When he finally came home, I took him to the vet, and he tested positive for FIV.

Yes, you can have strictly indoor cats, but there is NO GUARANTEE that they won't one day, accidently get outside.

The choice is yours, but I'm erring on the side of safety.

I should also mention that as someone working in the veterinary field, I, myself am vaccinated against rabies, and get yearly blood tests to ensure my titer is high enough in antibodies for it.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It all boils down to a risk assessment.

The question of getting a particular preventative treatment done is: "Do the risks of not having the procedure outweigh the risks of having the procedure?"

for me, I feel the risks of my kitties contracting leukemia was so low as to be negligible. and the vaccine has been associated with a particular type of cancer at the injection site -sarcoma .

I'd follow up and say that if a person doesn't feel like they know enough to make an informed decision, then following the advice of well-respected authority would be the way to go.

here is the CFA's article:
Cat Fanciers' Association: Vaccination Guidelines
and I wasn't able to find TICA's recommendation.

Last edited:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope this clears up the vaccination issue. Times have changed and so have the drug manufacturers. My vet also said that you can pick up leukemia through clothing etc. - rare but can happen, and the most common form of contraction is through any body fluids. I have a water feature in the back yard that the cats LOVE to drink out of. Strays have been known to jump the fence into our backyard. I am not going to take any chances.

That is something I can say for my vet office - They never pushed anything on me. When it was time for Gable's "booster" vaccinations, we discussed all of the different vaccinations, types, manufacturers, etc. The risks of indoor vs outdoor cats and she gave me her recommendations. They are always open to discussions and other opinions.

When Gable got his rabies vaccination, he developed a lump at the injection site about 3 weeks later. I was so worried. When I called, the vet called me back, informed me that he thought it was nothing serious but he wanted me to come back in at no charge to me.

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Leukemia vaccine is already important for pure Indoorcats . Why ? It's simple. Even when the infectious only get from cat to cat happens, it is not ruled out the cat hair. a simple visit of a friend who has cathairs with leukemia can transfer them . It is quite rare but the case went to a couple of times with my vet.

Leukemia-free tested cats without outdoor goings get suddenly leukemia.

Because my parents in law have one leukemia cat and i do , keep to safe mine , the vaccination

Beloverly

Lairian
I vaccine all of my animals I have ever owned completely up until there 1st year shots are complete then I do not vaccinate ever again, with the exception to rabies. I keep that shot up to date as far as the normal vet's standards go...

I also do all of my animals shots myself, I feel better that way for some reason.

slscogin

Lairian
I have a question about all this vaccine stuff. Im much more familier with canine vaccines, not so much cats, so help me out here.... Are Sphynx cats MORE suseptable to side affects or illness from vacs than a regular fuzzy cat? what if I plan on taking my future naked baby on outtings with me to the petstore, friends places, etc..... I will never let my cat out w/o a leash/harness, but would really enjoy taking him with me anywhere that i can. I guess there is not way to be 100% sure we would never come across a sick cat. what type of vaccines should i give or avoid??

Back