Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Verify CFA and TICA Registration?

Adam

Lairian
We are looking at a couple breeders and we are wondering if anyone knows of a way to verify CFA and TICA Registration online

We are looking at the CFA & TICA websites but do not see any kind of directory

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Not quite sure what you mean. The cattery should be registered a simple google search should do it. If not ask breeder for proof.

Adam

Lairian
Google searching their name with TICA only brings me to a small list of 14 breeders worldeide who have signed the TICA code of ethics and that seems short.
Maybe I'm missing something.

I might be being overly skeptical but, how do I verify their "proof" from a document they made themselves?

Adam

Lairian
To clarify my question I'm asking if TICA and/or CFA offer a database of registered catteries(sp) that I could search for the breeder on

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am not sure I can help, but feel free to PM me your breeder’s name and the name of the cattery and I will try to research.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I did the same while researching. There is a database of sorts on both sites, but neither are very user friendly. With TICA I believe the only way is to search backwards.... Go to their website and navigate to Cat Breeders. There should be something that says ‘Check if you cattery name is already taken.’ Then, it pops up the whole list of registered names, and you can go through and find the cattery name. CFA is similar. In the navigation menu, select Breeders, then Cattery Name Index and select the letter of the name you are seeking out and scroll and scroll until you either find them or not!

Now that being said, THE MOST important thing that qualifies a good sphynx cattery, in my opinion, is yearly HCM scans on all breeding cats yearly. A quality breeder will have those records on hand and happily send them over. CFA and TICA memberships are great too. A cattery that HCM scans annually will almost without a doubt be registered to one or both. There is also a website that you can type in the king and queen sphynx’s names and go through their HCM scans history for over a decade through their family trees! Downside is, it’s completely voluntary to report to the site, so not an end-all-be-all resource.

That was a lot of info, sorry. I just went through the whole process you are in now. They have a hefty price tag, so you’re smart to do your research!

Adam

Lairian
That's great! I will do some more hard research on their sites to try and find those.
If it comes down to it I will call them to see if they can verify breeders over the phone haha

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks Adam, I was happy to confirm my kitty came from a Tica registered breeder on this website. I've had her for a year now and I lost confidence in the cattery when I got her. At least I feel a bit better now!