Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Very concerned for my cat, any advice?

alex617

Lairian
This is what the neurologist emailed me after she saw the video:

"That looks like vestibular symptoms – head tilt to the right, wide head excursions and ataxia, leaning and ataxic. The vestibular part of the brain is the deep inner ear, brainstem and cerebellum. Any disfunction there from any cause could result in vestibular symptoms.

My medical recommendations would be the same – ideally a cardiology consult before a brain MRI under anesthesia. I thought I had heard a gallop type abnormal heart rhythm and this breed is known for having cardiomyopathy. So to be the most safe, I would ideally have a cardiologist opinion before anesthesia. MRI would be looking for a tumor, stroke or infection/inflammation.

I don’t think that looks like a classic seizure based on body posture."

Obviously, the next step is a heart scan, but if I can barely come up with the money for a scan, idk how I will afford an MRI. I don't think I could ever have another sphynx after this. It's just so heartbreaking to watch her deal with something at all times and being in the position where I can't get her the care she needs now is devastating. For 9 years she's ALWAYS had respiratory issues, allergies, diarrhea, and now this. She can't ever catch a break, there is always SOMETHING wrong health-wise. :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@alex617, (((hugs)))) and positive vibes for sweet Khaleesi. so very sorry you and her are going thru all this. when she has these episodes does her body get cold to the touch or any rear leg weakness or vocalization? I ask because my girl had clot episodes. once I got her to the vet she was fine. I would ask the vet if any possibility of a F.A.T.E. episode clot? the tell tale sign for my girl was cold lower extremities and sometimes a yowl. she would recover in 5-10 minutes. I could not afford an MRI. for my girl once the clot passed, some of the tests would not show it because the incident already passed. I could not do an MRI and my vet and I talked about conservative treatment options. not saying this is what she has but something to ask to rule out.

sending lots of prayers for your baby girl. following closely for updates.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Bless your heart I understand not wanting to get another. Many people choose that. It’s just not worth it to them. That’s a personal decision.

I agree with your neurologist. It’s really important they rule out HCM with a heart scan because if she has it the anesthesia and fluids can kill her in the scanner. Have you applied for CareCredit? It’s interest free if you pay it off during the promotional period. You can discuss with your vet 6, 12, or 18 months.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It is very hard having to make choices on what to do and then layer on top of that can you even do them. Positive vibes are sent.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is what the neurologist emailed me after she saw the video:

"That looks like vestibular symptoms – head tilt to the right, wide head excursions and ataxia, leaning and ataxic. The vestibular part of the brain is the deep inner ear, brainstem and cerebellum. Any disfunction there from any cause could result in vestibular symptoms.

My medical recommendations would be the same – ideally a cardiology consult before a brain MRI under anesthesia. I thought I had heard a gallop type abnormal heart rhythm and this breed is known for having cardiomyopathy. So to be the most safe, I would ideally have a cardiologist opinion before anesthesia. MRI would be looking for a tumor, stroke or infection/inflammation.

I don’t think that looks like a classic seizure based on body posture."

Obviously, the next step is a heart scan, but if I can barely come up with the money for a scan, idk how I will afford an MRI. I don't think I could ever have another sphynx after this. It's just so heartbreaking to watch her deal with something at all times and being in the position where I can't get her the care she needs now is devastating. For 9 years she's ALWAYS had respiratory issues, allergies, diarrhea, and now this. She can't ever catch a break, there is always SOMETHING wrong health-wise. :(
I know there is always something that you have had to deal with and she is so lucky that you are trying so hard for her because she relies on you for everything and she loves you very much. You are doing the absolute best you can. @alex617

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I, like you, was skeptical about the pheno and didn’t do it right away but my Pacey is now on it and has improved. So I’m thinking she was having seizures but still unsure and need to find out.
When I saw the video I thought vestibular bc that’s what Pacey had about a yr ago. But it was one episode and that was it.
I have an appt with a cardio for echo and then neuro next day. This will be next week so I will post what I find.
My heart goes out to you!! And I hope you find the cause and a solution for this sweet baby. Don’t beat yourself up bc you are there for her. Hopefully you can get the credit to pay for her care. BIG HUGS!!!

alex617

Lairian
They prescribed Benazepril and Clopidogrel. The vet's notes say this "Focal septal and papillary muscle hypertrophy and irregular structure, moderate left atrial enlargement."
Not sure how a feel about giving her benazepril. Is it really necessary? Her blood pressure was fine a month ago, and again today.

alex617

Lairian
I just hate shoving pills down her throat, and now I have different medicines to give her daily. Are there other forms that work for you guys? Can I mix it with food? Also both medicines are round tablets, that I have to cut into 1/4ths to give her. There has to be a better delivery system than poorly cut jagged little bits of pills that I have to force down her throat every day.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would highly recommend you buy some size #3 empty gelatin capsules. You can shove the little ¼ tablets in there so she can’t taste them. Then use a pill gun, put the capsule in it and dip the tip in olive oil. Then administer. Slips right down.

You can also try pill pockets but mine fell for that for only so long.

I’m so sorry for the terrible news. Something none of us wants to hear for our babies.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry, I was really hoping Khaleesi would catch a break this time. The good thing is that now you know and you have meds. I've had cats live with meds for years and I truly believe they had a good quality of life. Remember she doesn't know she's sick anyway. You just see what each day brings and make it a good day for both of you.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just hate shoving pills down her throat, and now I have different medicines to give her daily. Are there other forms that work for you guys? Can I mix it with food? Also both medicines are round tablets, that I have to cut into 1/4ths to give her. There has to be a better delivery system than poorly cut jagged little bits of pills that I have to force down her throat every day.
I’m so sorry to hear this news.

You can get the tablets compounded instead in a liquid form from a compounding pharmacy and then syringe them down her throat.

You can also crush the tablet and put it in a syringe with some water to make it a liquid form but you need to check with the manufacturer/Vet/compounding pharmacist if this tablet if administered this way loses its efficacy.

You can cover the tablet in a soft treat.

You can crush the tablet and mix it in with some food (I would check if this would change is efficacy though with the vet).

You can use a pill popper and syringe down water

Make sure she is comfortable in a towel or blanket in a comfortable position. Use lots of words and talk her through the process.

Following the administration of the tablet give her a treat if she doesn’t have any allergies.

alex617

Lairian
I've got two types of the pill hiding treats, and the gel capsules once she figures out the treat situation. I didn't get much information about HCM from the cardiologist, or at least her level of hcm, is that a thing? I guess I kinda want to know what her prognosis is, do we get a few more months with her, a few more years? Is she currently in CHF? I'm worried if she ever is, I won't know because a lot of the symptoms are things she has struggled with her whole life. What's weird is that she did say her ataxic episodes are likely NOT from the HCM, and that if it was, it would be very strange. She hasn't had one since Jan 12th though. I personally feel like it had something to do with her not eating and the diarrhea. Because she has been eating SO good, and her poops are as solid as I have ever seen, she's even more affectionate and playful. I'm scared to even type any of this because it may jinx the situation. Anyways, I'm thankful to all of you for the advice and the ear, or eyes in this case. :)

Back