Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vestibular? Ataxia?? Help

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cat Pacey had an episode of idiopathic vestibular disease about 2 yrs ago. It was scary! She woke me screaming and had nystagmus, vertigo and slight head tilt. I got her to vet immediately and all in all she ended up back to normal.
So this past Monday she started screaming ( yowling) and presented with similar symptoms as before but this time would paw the air and extend out her leg. She was wobbly and pupils dilated.
So I took her to ER vet and was given a diagnosis of ataxia/vestibular and given marbofloxacin 1/2 tab every 24 hrs. They checked her blood panels and nothing turned up abnormal.
She was exhausted and gobbled up food when we got home. I was told by vet if it didn’t get better to go to primary vet ( 48 hrs).
So she did seem a little better as at times she would move normally.
Ended up taking her to primary vet that following day and they felt it was vestibular.
They did BMB test for heart issues as her brother Brody has HCM. Nothing there.
She isn’t diabetic either.
She eats and at times just gobbles up the food. Don’t see her drinking but she does 1and 2 in litter box.
She sleeps a lot bc I also give her meclizine. She sometimes just lays there with eyes open ( fear?).
I will try to post the videos of when it started.
She has eye drainage and shakes her head. Her brother had been licking inside of her ears. So gotta be inner ear right?
Please be sending prayers, positive vibes and HUGS.
I have another appt on Monday.
Hope the videos come thru ok.
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_6251.MOV
    23.5 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    49.8 MB

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Also on the second video you can see her hike up her rear like she is going to poop but not the case.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was only able to see one of the videos. It does look to me like it is an inner ear issue though. But I hate that they are treating the symptoms and not the cause. Why has this happened twice now? They need to get in there and find out why she is having these issues.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was only able to see one of the videos. It does look to me like it is an inner ear issue though. But I hate that they are treating the symptoms and not the cause. Why has this happened twice now? They need to get in there and find out why she is having these issues.

Yes I feel the same. They spoke about an ocular device and going in but wanted to wait. Think we are at that juncture. I’m going to ask.
She is up and eating now and is a little off kilter. But at least she isn’t pawing the air or throwing her leg out.
Sorry about the videos. Couldn’t load due to file size. Which one did you see??

Sheldon13

Staff member
I saw the first video with her lying on her right side and holding her left leg up.

I hope your vet will do some greater diagnostics.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I saw the first video with her lying on her right side and holding her left leg up.

I hope your vet will do some greater diagnostics.

Yes I hope so too.
Warmed up some food for her and added water. I put her in bed with me and she stayed. Her pupils are dilated and she’s purring but haven’t gotten up yet to see how she’s moving but I’m sure it hasn’t changed

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh and another thing she doesn’t track my finger when I go in front of her eyes but if I’m close she moves her head some.
Keep up the sending vibes, prayers and hugs my Pacey’s way!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our girl had episodes where she stiffened and reached her paw over her head. She was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. Some cats will yowl during the seizures, some will flail their limbs and some will lose bodily fluid. Others will exhibit symptoms like yours in the videos. Our girl would walk out of them and she seemed in a daze during the incidents. Then would come through literally walking and finally straightening out. I am wondering if your baby might be experiencing the same. @Crombie00

Over the years I have seen others share the same scare...it always started with pawing over her head. Will be looking for updates as I am sure your info will help others in the future as well.

Last edited:

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our girl had episodes where she stiffened and reached her paw over her head. She was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. Some cats will yowl during the seizures, some will flail their limbs and some will lose bodily fluid. Others will exhibit symptoms like yours in the videos. Our girl would walk out of them and she seemed in a daze during the incidents. Then would come through literally walking and finally straightening out. I am wondering if your baby might be experiencing the same. @Crombie00

Over the years I have seen others share the same scare...it always started with pawing over her head. Will be looking for updates as I am sure your o fo will help others in the future as well.
Wow your story does sound a lot like what is going on with Pacey. It was like she was pawing at the air and would throw her leg out but as you saw it was like slow motion.
She is up, ate, peed and went downstairs and is sitting in the window catching sun right now.
She has done all those things you mentioned except lose bodily fluids
I will keep you and everyone updated.
If you can tell me anything else about what treatment was done or anything else please do and thank you so much!

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Tried to upload a new video but said file was too large.
Her brother went over to lick her and off she went towards the stairs. It was like watching a drunk kangaroo. She didn’t hurt herself luckily. Too fast to stop her!
I plan to show the vet tomorrow.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Wow your story does sound a lot like what is going on with Pacey. It was like she was pawing at the air and would throw her leg out but as you saw it was like slow motion.
She is up, ate, peed and went downstairs and is sitting in the window catching sun right now.
She has done all those things you mentioned except lose bodily fluids
I will keep you and everyone updated.
If you can tell me anything else about what treatment was done or anything else please do and thank you so much!

Our girl never flailed or lost bodily fluid. The first time it happened we rushed to the vet...he said to keep a log on the intensity, frequency and longevity of the episodes....any major changes and then we would look at at 2 options...testing and/or meds. He said that testing is very expensive( thousands) and even if we found what was “misfiring” in her brain most likely they would only regulate through meds. So I asked outright what would you do if she was his cat and he said wait and see. He said some people need to know the why and have expendable income to find out...he shared that the brain is so complex that even if we found the why, the treatment for idiopathic epilepsy usually is meds. She had a few more episodes that year and we arranged the house to be as safe as possible...miraculously they just stopped..it’s been a few years now knock on wood and nothing. Hubby has worked from home 4 years now and has seen nothing. Again not a vet, but sounds very similar. She was 4 years old when she had her first episode. The vet said she was young and the reason he didn’t want to start anti-seizure meds is because the long term side effects were something to consider. Idiopathic means no known cause. If your vet diagnosis the same, let me know and I will give you tips on what we did to make the house safer.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Tried to upload a new video but said file was too large.
Her brother went over to lick her and off she went towards the stairs. It was like watching a drunk kangaroo. She didn’t hurt herself luckily. Too fast to stop her!
I plan to show the vet tomorrow.

Try uploading to YouTube and ousting the link here.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our girl never flailed or lost bodily fluid. The first time it happened we rushed to the vet...he said to keep a log on the intensity, frequency and longevity of the episodes....any major changes and then we would look at at 2 options...testing and/or meds. He said that testing is very expensive( thousands) and even if we found what was “misfiring” in her brain most likely they would only regulate through meds. So I asked outright what would you do if she was his cat and he said wait and see. He said some people need to know the why and have expendable income to find out...he shared that the brain is so complex that even if we found the why, the treatment for idiopathic epilepsy usually is meds. She had a few more episodes that year and we arranged the house to be as safe as possible...miraculously they just stopped..it’s been a few years now knock on wood and nothing. Hubby has worked from home 4 years now and has seen nothing. Again not a vet, but sounds very similar. She was 4 years old when she had her first episode. The vet said she was young and the reason he didn’t want to start anti-seizure meds is because the long term side effects were something to consider. Idiopathic means no known cause. If your vet diagnosis the same, let me know and I will give you tips on what we did to make the house safer.
Thanks for the info!! She went to vet this am and they think it’s seizures. Put her on prednisone for 5 days then next options if that doesn’t clear it up is either phenobarbital or a neurologist.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have an appointment in about 30 minutes w. bet.
Thanks for your help! She went to vet this am and they believe it’s seizures so she was put on prednisone for 5 days and if that doesn’t help it’s either phenobarbital or a neuro. So please keep your fingers crossed etc.
Again thank you!

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The steroids were prednisolone for anti inflammatory. Wanted to add that for all reading and posting on here.
Thank you all for your continued help!!
Pacey is sleeping now

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
My fingers are crossed. Glad you went in doing some research and gathering some info just so you didn’t go in and walk out completely surprised. We opted not to go to a neurologist. Our vet said that they will want to do more tests and as I shared the cost is high and with the brain so complex, they might never be able to pinpoint and if they do, it often means the same meds that your vet would give a try...phenobarbital is the go to for most for seizures meds is also what our vet said.

I am hoping as quickly as the they started they stop just as fast for your baby like it did mine.

One thing I did once ours started, I really gave thought to anything different in the house. Cats can be very sensitive to oil diffusers, candles, essential oils etc and they can bring on seizures. You might want to give thought to if something is different in your baby’s environment as well for a long shot. @Crombie00

Back