Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vet in NYC area for tooth extraction

Alouette

Lairian
Hi!

Ellibelly came to me with broken upper canines from the home she was seized from (unfortunately she is a rescue with a very sad backstory :unsure: ) - at the time the vet said to leave them be until they got worse/started giving her trouble, and at her last check up he thought that they should probably go soon. Unfortunately, her vet doesn't do surgery (it's a small local clinic), and referred us to a large emergency hospital that I worry won't be as personalized as I'd like for her given the breed-specific concerns that I have.

This will be her first time under anesthesia since I rescued her two years ago, and I'm kind of nervous. Does anyone have a rec for a good vet with experience with Sphynx and/or dental surgery?

Cheers!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am not in the NYC area, but hopefully someone will chime in. I just want to remind you to make sure your vet does not use Ketamine as the anesthesia.. If a cat has an underlying/undetected heart condition, it can be fatal. I would also recommend the blood work up be done prior to the cleaning. I always feel better doing that Please share your experience with the community as I am sure your info will help.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just want to say thank you for taking her in
giving her a forever home, love, spoiling, nourishment,
and providing medical needs. Best wishes, with the tooth
extraction. Let us know she's alright.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You might have some luck posting on a Facebook buy and sell page for your area (or a rant and rave, those kind of pages). No need to be personal, just recommendation for vets for tooth extraction. Then you can call and look into the suggestions :)

Hope you can find a vet!

Minerva

Lairian
I recommend Animal General, I'm currently in a similar situation with my baby Minerva - her left upper canine has split in half and she needs deep cleaning on her other teeth. She just seems to have bad teeth in general. They do dental procedures during the weekday and do blood work day of to make sure everything is ok.

Hope this help

Back