Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vet in Sacramento, CA area?

Phyrias

Lairian
Hey all!

Ill be a first time owner of a precious boy in mid September! So exciting and can't wait.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a vet in my area with some knowledge about the breed. Any suggestions??

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! How exciting you'll soon be owned by a sphynx.
Hope members in your area can advice you about a vet.

Phyrias

Lairian
Thanks! Mee too. I checked the post regarding vets already but did not see anyone near my area. I have seen a few post similar to this but people sent messages instead of posting, so I'm hoping someone can help :)

Jocy24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I lived in the area I went to Loomis Basin Vet. First time I went Harry made the rounds of the staff and disappeared in the back so everyone could meet him lol.

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
Loomis basin is fantastic, however I’ve only been there once on an emergency with my boy when he went into CHF. They were amazing and informative and helped me a lot. However they do also have a regular clinic...... I can’t speak to the clinic as we were in emergency.
Not sure where in Sac you live but we are having good luck at West Roseville Vetrinary Hospital. The staff is extremely nice, and the doctors are the best I’ve found in the area. They are very very proactive with sphynx and I appreciate that.
Over the course of my girl and my boy whom both I lost to HCM 17 months apart, here’s the vets we tried.
Cats only vet: they are good but don’t know very much about the breed. Doctor is reactive to things not proactive, and lots of times she has no answers for things. They are not afraid to run up very unnecessary vet bills, big vet bills and still have no answers.
Rocklin ranch vet: terrible. They run up very large vet bills and use high pressure scare tactics. They do not know much about the breed and misdiagnose about 80% of the time. Staff is very cold, rude, and short with clients.
Blue oaks vet clinic: doctor and staff are really nice, they just refer you to marqueen emergency for everything because they do not know much about the breed.
Willow rock vet: amazing doctor, staff is not very friendly. Doctor knows his stuff but if there’s any issue he’s unsure of he will send you to Loomis basin emergency. Which is how we ended up there in April 2019.
In the past we’ve used sunset animal hospital for other pets and they are terrible.
We’ve also tried to go to mercy pet hospital in an attempt to try a better vet, per our new breeders recommendation, however after making an appt on a Thursday for the following Tuesday they called Tuesday to cancel without offering a new appointment. Just got “sorry we overbooked and are to busy to reschedule right now”. So we researched and decided on west Roseville vet hospital based on the reviews, and also we’d been there once in 2017 with a savannah kitten we had that was very sick and they diagnosed her with fip, and they were correct. So I knew they were on their game and knew unique breeds and illnesses, and I’m really pleased so far. Hope this helps. Sorry it’s so long.

Last edited:

Phyrias

Lairian
Thanks! I love all the details! I live out in near Rancho Cordova area. I believe I found a vet that seems to have some pretty good reviews Country Oaks Pet Hospital in Fair Oaks but I will definitely look into West Roseville.