Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vet Question

rainonlens

Lairian
(I'm sorry in advance if this has been asked a squillion times already...)

Just in terms of the general check-up...we'll be taking them for a quick check-up the second day we have them (in our contract with the breeder) and I was just wondering what to expect.

I've lived with/around many animals throughout my life, but I haven't dealt with many vet situations and I want to make sure we walk in prepared.

Any advice as to what to look for? Maybe any specific questions I should ask? I'm assuming it's just going to be a quick look over, check out their eyes/lungs/heart, etc. I'm just afraid all of a sudden they're going to say they have to do some standard test that costs a million dollars. Not that I'm not thrilled to spend money on these sweet things! Just don't want to be taken advantage of because we're walking in blind. Even more specifically, with this breed, is there anything specific I should have them double checking? Or paying special attention to, at least.

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!! :)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The vet should not do any tests accept ask for a stool sample.
Do not let them push you around.
Also do not let them push shots on you.
A vet tried that with me and I refused.
It might be in your contract not to give certain shots.
It is in the contracts of my cats and I will never give a leukemia shot again after it killed my Lucy.
FIP shots are bad also.
You should only have to pay for the vet visit when you go.
The fecal is done at home.
When you go to the vet they should weigh the kittens.
Check the heart,take the temp,check the teeth eyes and gums.
Also check the ears.
Do not let them say they have ear mites.
The black stuff in the ears is oil.
Also they get black stuff in the nails which is oil also.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yea - be sure you know what your kitties current medical history is. I read mine front to back and knew it by heart and then they tried to give her a shot that she had just received a few days prior and they said it wasn't on their medical record copy but I insisted they call the previous vet and verify because I knew she had gotten it already. Thank goodness I did. Not sure it would have hurt her to get it twice but I wasn't taking any chances.

They were nice about it tho and just moved on. Goodluck!

rainonlens

Lairian
Awesome! This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm definitely a 'stand my ground' sort of person, so I'm not worried about being taken advantage of by being bullied into something...but more so that a lot of vets know the right words to use to totally freak you out and make you spend lots of money. Unfortunately, because we assume they have our kitties health as their top priority, I'd probably believe just about anything they told me that sounded helpful. That being said, I hope very much to find a vet I can trust. The local cat-only vet office is closed to new patients. :(

I'll make sure I'm totally up to date on their current shots, health situation, etc. So I guess I'm not walking in totally blind, but stuff like the ear mites...I can totally see someone getting ripped off because they're unsure. Crappy when honest people are taken advantage of because of a position of power. I haven't settled on a particular vet yet...so I'll do some calling around and see what the 'feel' I get from everyone is.

Thanks so much for this advice!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
When calling vets - be sure to ask how many Sphynx clients they currently have and if they are famalair with the breed? Some will supply references.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Everyones advice is very good:ThumbsUp: I would just like to remind you to make sure you like and trust your vet because without that you will never be happy.
The ear mite thing is a definite, sphynx just have oily ears. Check your contract and go over it with your breeder about the shots that are not recommended. Bring all of your paper work from your breeder to the vet so they can see what was done ect.
Best of luck, we can not wait to hear how it goes!

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
The first thing you will encounter is the check in desk.
Most of what a day practice sees are DSH (domestic shorthair) or DLH (domestic longhair). They get some pure bred cats, but probably not many Sphynx. So, make sure they enter the breed code correctly in their computer system (and from personal experience, I can tell you that if Sphynx are not included on VetNet, they CAN create the breed code for them!)

The desk may also want any vax history, paperwork, etc to attach to the chart they will give the doctor. Either make a copy before hand, or ask them to copy your originals and give them back. I HAVE lost originals to the vet's records.

The vet will do a physical exam, lots of touching and feeling, listening to heart and lungs, looking at eyes and in ears. Yes, Sphynx have ear gunk. Yes, a vet may assume it's a sign of ear mites. Because YOU truly don't know for sure if your kittens do/don't have mites, I'd let them swab a sample and look at them under the microscope which is the only way to see them. If it comes back clean, yahoo, if not, pretty simple drops to get rid of them. Either way, I'd want to know for sure on that first exam.

I am a big freak about overvaccination and I also follow my breeder's contracts. So, if they suggest waiting until a certain age, or using a certain type of vax, I DO insist my vet follow it. If I get guff, I tell them IF they admin whatever, MY HEALTH GUARANTEE is VOID. I haven't had a vet force the issue after that.

Rabies is a legal matter governed by state laws. If your kittens are old enough for rabies vax and haven't had them, you may not be able to talk yourself out of that.

As M2M said, you collect the fecal sample at home and they will look at it during the visit and let you know if you need to deworm again. Some may offer flea/tick prevention that also controls some varieties of internal parasites. Up to you if you decide to purchase it.

Really, other than the wellness visit and optional vax, the only tests I can think they might ask to do is for feline leukemia and feline aids. Again, probably up to you, but in the event they were positive for either, you would have immediate documentation and recourse with the breeder. If you wait 6 months and test and get bad news, the breeder has grounds to say they sent them healthy and YOU exposed them to the disease.

I usually opt for everything but the vax and wait on those per my contract.

rainonlens

Lairian
You guys are wonderful!!

I will absolutely make sure we make copies of our contracts before bringing them with us. I'll also make sure I get a list of the names of vaccs the kitties are coming with. I know they're getting their 'first sets' as we speak, but don't know any of the official names. The breeder is sending full health reports with them, so that should be some good insight as well.

I spoke with a vet who's near my work (has been there for 30 years) and the receptionist said they have a technician who brings her Sphynx to work almost every day! Bingo!!

They were really comfortable, casual (in a good way) and I think they're the right choice for sure. They said to give them a call closer to the date and they'd be more than happy to have us!

susi794

Staff member
The vet sounds good--many vets haven't ever seen a sphynx, let alone a daily visitor, so that sounds promising for sure. The fact that you got a good, comfortable vibe is also good. Everyone has given you good advice, just remember as far as tests are concerned--this was a substantial investment and just remember that the tests are for your protection as well as the health of the kittens.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Really, other than the wellness visit and optional vax, the only tests I can think they might ask to do is for feline leukemia and feline aids. Again, probably up to you, but in the event they were positive for either, you would have immediate documentation and recourse with the breeder. If you wait 6 months and test and get bad news, the breeder has grounds to say they sent them healthy and YOU exposed them to the disease.

I usually opt for everything but the vax and wait on those per my contract.

Question - if your kitty was tested as at 8 mths and was negative - do they need retested if they don't come in contact with other kitties?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I always say look at your vet like your pediatrician... Just like you wouldn't leave your infant child in the care of a ped who makes you uncomfortable, doesn't answer questions, is grumpy, etc, you also shouldn't leave your pets in the care of someone like that. The vet is there for YOU and YOUR ANIMAL. If you get the feeling like he/she is a pompous 'you know what'- go to a different vet hospital.

So many people fail to realize how much choice they should have in their vet care... You should be informed by your vet and you should walk out of there feeling comfortable, not like your wallet was just raided and you have no idea why!

Back