Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vet said it’s harmless melanosis

Bgriffin989

Lairian
Hello all! My 3 year old cat stormy has developed this weird discoloration on her belly over the past 4-5 months. She’s been to the vet 2 times and they said it’s melanosis which is harmless. The issue is it started out as just one dime sized spot and has continued to spread and is now covering her whole belly. I contact the vet for a 3rd time and had her looked at and he said the same thing. It’s just melanosis.. has anyone seen this on their cat before? Don’t know what todo to stop the spreading. Thanks!

Oh and she is eating and drinking fine and playful as ever. I do notice her cleaning it more. It just feels dry and almost scaley. But it’s not raises or warm to touch.

Attachments

• 30EF4B6F-D749-4780-9B1F-6006089AA6A2.jpeg
    30EF4B6F-D749-4780-9B1F-6006089AA6A2.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 9CE89A60-ACE7-406A-A535-B93BD8E1FCF4.jpeg
    9CE89A60-ACE7-406A-A535-B93BD8E1FCF4.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 97

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bgriffin989 , welcoming you and Stormy to the lair family.. agree would ask to rule out if yeast? let us know if the malaseb shampoo helps.. do you use exfoliating gloves with the shampoo:

do you use scented litters? switched litters recently? some do get yeasty on worlds best, walnut, etc type litters.

here is a link

please keep us updated, all paws are family.

Bgriffin989

Lairian
@Bgriffin989 , welcoming you and Stormy to the lair family.. agree would ask to rule out if yeast? let us know if the malaseb shampoo helps.. do you use exfoliating gloves with the shampoo:

do you use scented litters? switched litters recently? some do get yeasty on worlds best, walnut, etc type litters.

here is a link

please keep us updated, all paws are family.
Hello! Thank you I just received malaseb shampoo and some hypochlorous spray for her belly. I have previously always bathed her every other week with Hylyt shampoo (hypoallergenic shampoo for animals) but never wear gloves. The litter I use and have always used is Dr. Elseys ultra cat litter and have had no problems with it or with my other sphynx. Her food is the same as it’s always been and she is eating normal as ever. I just don’t know what is causing it but I’m hoping the new shampoo and spray I got at least stops it from getting worse.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bgriffin989 , keep us updated on your baby.. using the same here dr elseys ultra and hylyt for years too with my crew.
hopeful the shampoo and spray will help. btw, what is your other babies name.. look forward to pics and tales.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping it is yeast and the shampoo clears it up…will get looking for updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Bgriffin989 , did vet rule out urticaria pigmentosa ? we have seen with a few nakids in group. there are some pics/previous threads you can find using the top right search box

tagging @Toa and Ross

Looking at the photo it doesn't look like Uticaria Pigmentosa to me. But I'm not a vet so always good to ask the vet if it can be UP if the shampoo doesn't work. UP is mostly more red scabs that turn into wounds and causes eye issues and makes a cat lethargic

TopherP

Lairian
My boy also has the same thing. Vet has said it was harmless too. He's had dermatitis before . The dark patches have changed and grown, hes much darker now than when he first arrived but doesnt seem to bother him at all. He's very playful with lots of energy.

Attachments

• 20220125_165348.jpg
    20220125_165348.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220125_165241.jpg
    20220125_165241.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 81

Grizou

Lairian
My boy also has the same thing. Vet has said it was harmless too. He's had dermatitis before . The dark patches have changed and grown, hes much darker now than when he first arrived but doesnt seem to bother him at all. He's very playful with lots of energy.
My sphynx has developped black spots since the end of January. We've changed his food and given him antibiotics. They are more brownish than black now. I haven't finished the medication yet so hopefully they will all disappear!

Attachments

• 20230213_151434.jpg
    20230213_151434.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 44

Rihmeek604

Lairian
This has also happened with Rihmeek, I noticed that it has gotten worse and dry and extremely flakey. I’m trying aloe Vera to soothe it since he keeps licking his belly and it’s causing the skin the chap.

We’ve been trying different trials of single protein foods too and nothing is helping.

Grizou

Lairian
This has also happened with Rihmeek, I noticed that it has gotten worse and dry and extremely flakey. I’m trying aloe Vera to soothe it since he keeps licking his belly and it’s causing the skin the chap.

We’ve been trying different trials of single protein foods too and nothing is helping.

Grizou

Lairian
Thank you for all the information. My cat has started these patches early February. They are now fading away. The patches on his belly may remain however. I'm glad to know that I don't need to worry!

Back