Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

vet visit....

jwylde

Lairian
Not sure where I should post this so.....here goes
I had it all typed out on my blackberry yesterday and apparently it deleted :Angry:

So hugo went to the vet, he looked at his ears and told me there was a problem, i then informed him that i was scared to poke around with q-tips. The vet was great this time, perhaps last time he was in a bad mood.... this time went really well. He showed me a diagram of cats ear so basically the ear canal is vertical and then makes a right turn like an L and that is where the ear drum is, so you actually can never hit the ear drum :BigSmile:

Also his weight is 13.6 and the vet is not happy about that at all, he said his target weight is probably 11 pounds and that he needs to start eating vegetables like carrots and celery (if possible) because if he continues at this weight it will be major problems when he gets older..... he also said that 1/4 cup two times a day was plenty and that dry food is 3 times more fattening then wet food. I forget the exact ratio but it is something like 1/3 of a cup of dry food is like 1 cup of wet food ( i think that's right....) not sure....
so vegetables and diet, HERE WE COME!!!
other than that, he's great :Cool:

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear he is doing so well! Some cats do tend to gain on free feed. Good luck with the new feeding regime.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear that all is well with Hugo, even if he does need to lose a little weight. Good luck with his new diet!

I'm bringing all of my kitties in for a annual vet visit this Friday and I have a feeling my vet will tell me the same thing about my male Siamese. He's become a little chunky lately and has gone from a slim 9-10 lbs to 11.5 lbs. Any more weight and I'll have to put him on a diet...LOL!

Brooke

Banned
Not sure where I should post this so.....here goes
I had it all typed out on my blackberry yesterday and apparently it deleted :Angry:

So hugo went to the vet, he looked at his ears and told me there was a problem, i then informed him that i was scared to poke around with q-tips. The vet was great this time, perhaps last time he was in a bad mood.... this time went really well. He showed me a diagram of cats ear so basically the ear canal is vertical and then makes a right turn like an L and that is where the ear drum is, so you actually can never hit the ear drum :BigSmile:

Also his weight is 13.6 and the vet is not happy about that at all, he said his target weight is probably 11 pounds and that he needs to start eating vegetables like carrots and celery (if possible) because if he continues at this weight it will be major problems when he gets older..... he also said that 1/4 cup two times a day was plenty and that dry food is 3 times more fattening then wet food. I forget the exact ratio but it is something like 1/3 of a cup of dry food is like 1 cup of wet food ( i think that's right....) not sure....
so vegetables and diet, HERE WE COME!!!
other than that, he's great :Cool:

Glad to hear that Hugo had a good vet visit. :ThumbsUp:

What was the problem with his ears? Were they just dirty? Did the vet look at his ear debris with a scope and see any yeast or bacteria? I've heard of many vets that aren't familiar with our breed that see the black gunk and instantly assume they have mites or an infection, often when it isn't the case. Did he give you a good ear cleaner and teach you how to properly clean his ears? Please be very careful when poking around with Q-tips and never put them in further than you can see. We have a member here who's cat was recently injured from an ear cleaning! The best method is to soak a cotton ball with ear cleaner, or pour some ear cleaner into the ear, gently massage the base of the ear to break up the dirt and debris and then wipe it out with the cotton ball. Only use the Q-tips to get in the folds that you can't get to with the cotton ball, and never stick the Q-tip into the ear canal.

The key to weight loss is taking it slow. I'm surprised the vet suggested feeding him vegetables - cats are obligate carnivores, and vegetables are not a part of their necessary diet. What food and how much is Hugo currently eating? We can make some great food recommendations for you to help get his weight down. Look for high quality foods that are higher in protein and low in carbohydrates.

Also, what is his activity level? It would be really beneficial to get him some interactive toys (like Undercover Mouse, Fling-a-ma-String, or DaBird, those are the top favorites in my house!) that will give him hours of play time to get his activity level up and increase his heart rate. Exercising is important for weight loss in kitties as is a good diet... An extra half hour of play time every day will be a huge help -- and he'll be a happier kitty! :Smile:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The key to weight loss is taking it slow. I'm surprised the vet suggested feeding him vegetables - cats are obligate carnivores, and vegetables are not a part of their necessary diet. What food and how much is Hugo currently eating? We can make some great food recommendations for you to help get his weight down. Look for high quality foods that are higher in protein and low in carbohydrates.

Actually, Brooke, I wouln't mind getting those food recommendations, too, for Reno, my Siamese. He always seems to gain weight during winter. :Sad:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Another recommendation for interacting with your kittiy for play time a lazer light. They will chase it for ever. Just be very careful and do not let it hit their eyes!!! If you have children also supervise them while allowing them to play with the kitty and lazer light. I'm always worried they aren't quick enough to keep the light away from their face!

Goodluck with the new diet and exercise!!

Sara074

Lairian
Hola, supongo que tu sphynx esta castrado, porque normalmente comen mucho mas y suelen engordar.
Venden pienso seco para gatos castrados y tambien hay pienso seco para gatos que no engordan, pienso light. Te recomiendo que antes de darle verduras que no son buenas para su estomago les des estos piensos que no engordan tanto y evitaras una buena diarrea.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Be very careful with the ears.
My metors cat had 2 broken ear drums from a ear cleaning done by the vet and she needed surgery.

Back