Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vetericyn ear and eye wash?

meandmytwo

Lairian
Hi all.

With the popularity of Vetericyn wound spray, I am wondering if anyone uses the same brand of ear cleaner. There is also an eye wash.

I have tried several brands of ear cleaner and don't really find it more effective than using just very warm water on it's own. I feel the need to do this daily but will skip the odd day when I'm having more fun chasing my boys around than actually catching them :0. I wet and wring out a cotton round to wipe as much as I can followed by a swirling with a couple qtips, regular and precision, usually one of each. It works - it just doesn't keep the ears clean for more than the day. When using ear cleaner I have never squirted it right into the ear. Would doing so keep their ears cleaner longer? I know some of you squirt/flush and others do not. Is that what it's for - flushing to loosen the build up deep inside? (Most instructions on the products actually do say to do this.) Personal preference?

For eyes, again I use just water and find it effective for the day but it needs doing most everyday. Like ears, I will skip a day of eye washing if they are only moderately mucky. Then they can just shake their head and I'll get it off the wall instead ;).

Both of my boys have had trouble with an eye infection recently, they were red with a bit more discharge than usual, but that is cleared up and now it's just the regular sphynx goop. So that's good!

I have seen the admin video of ear cleaning with the cotton ball :). I do that sometimes and it's fine too. But still need to do it each day if we want clean ears all the time. Perhaps (somewhat) dirty ears is ok as long as it's not bothering them... Do we do all this for our own benefit? :oops:

Thoughts on any of this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It’s funny you ask, because I literally just bought the ear cleaner yesterday to try! I have always used Zymox and it works pretty well, but I’m hoping the Veterycin will have more antimicrobial effects. Ellie’s wars have been bothering her more than usual. She doesn’t have mites or yeast (I know how those smell) but could have overgrowth of other bacteria potentially and I’m hoping the new ear rinse will help if that’s the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I used the eye and ear cleaner from vetericyn. It works really well but my crew hates it (they hate all ear and eye drops) so now I hardly use it

meandmytwo

Lairian
It’s funny you ask, because I literally just bought the ear cleaner yesterday to try! I have always used Zymox and it works pretty well, but I’m hoping the Veterycin will have more antimicrobial effects. Ellie’s wars have been bothering her more than usual. She doesn’t have mites or yeast (I know how those smell) but could have overgrowth of other bacteria potentially and I’m hoping the new ear rinse will help if that’s the case.
I’m hoping the antimicrobial properties will help us too. Hoping you see a difference!
Let me know what you think. I’ll probably give it a try.

meandmytwo

Lairian
I used the eye and ear cleaner from vetericyn. It works really well but my crew hates it (they hate all ear and eye drops) so now I hardly use it
I knew someone must have used it! Thanks.
My boys usually behave when I use just water but they put up a bit of a fight when I use products. Maybe it’s the smell.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I knew someone must have used it! Thanks.
My boys usually behave when I use just water but they put up a bit of a fight when I use products. Maybe it’s the smell.
In humans there is actually science behind being able to TASTE eye drops and ear drops. This is because the sinuses are all connected. I wonder if there is something similar in cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro