Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Views on Rabies Vaccination

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What is everyone's view here on the rabies vaccination? I have done a lot of research on the topic but have found it hard to decide since half say no and half say yes. LOL
Where I live it's law that they are vaccinated for Rabies, but I called the City and talked to my vet and as long as I sign a form stating it's due to the breed I don't have to administer it, my vet said she will just keep him quarantined away from other animals when he is in to be neutered (September 7th eeeek)

He's had his 3 sets of kitten shots and I was told he should get a distemper at a year?! I would appreciate any input from other members on what vaccines you administer and about the rabies.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We recently "chatted" about vaccinations and rabies. If you do a search for rabies or vax's you'll read our many varied opinions... I for one only vax their 1st year, use non-adjunct vaccines, and if you can get away with not having to do rabies, GO FOR IT! We recently had someone write in whose cat had a sarcoma from a rabies/vaccine shot... Do not use FT DODGE vax! Miralx PureVax seems to be the best...

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hate all Vacc's. I also give only kitten/puppy shots and then no more. If I could get out of the rabies I sure would but thats just me. It's the law here and my vet wont let me opt out.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We recently "chatted" about vaccinations and rabies. If you do a search for rabies or vax's you'll read our many varied opinions... I for one only vax their 1st year, use non-adjunct vaccines, and if you can get away with not having to do rabies, GO FOR IT! We recently had someone write in whose cat had a sarcoma from a rabies/vaccine shot... Do not use FT DODGE vax! Miralx PureVax seems to be the best...

Thank you so much for informing me, being new to the forum I'm still trying to navigate myself around. I will take a look for it. It took some negotiating but my vet agreed not to vaccinate for rabies, I just need to sign the form and submit it to the City. I also read that if you do have to administer any shots its best to do so as low on the hind leg as possible incase there is a reaction. I've also heard the Purevax is the best :)

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You're lucky you all you have to do is sign a form! Wish more states would do that!

Yeah... their solution (drug co. & vets) is to give the shots either low on leg or tail in case of sarcoma's. They then can amputate leg or tail! THAT'S CRAZY! Imagine if they did that w/humans???? Why can't these dam drug companies make something safe for out cats/dogs???

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You're lucky you all you have to do is sign a form! Wish more states would do that!

Yeah... their solution (drug co. & vets) is to give the shots either low on leg or tail in case of sarcoma's. They then can amputate leg or tail! THAT'S CRAZY! Imagine if they did that w/humans???? Why can't these dam drug companies make something safe for out cats/dogs???

It's law where I live too to have the rabies vaccination but it took a lot of persistence and talking to the right people in the city I live that I was able to make this arrangement. I also had to sweet talk my vet into it. Im basically signing an "against medical treatment" form. I don't plan on ever traveling outside of the country with him so I cant for see any problems as of yet.

wundrlust

Lairian
My boys had their baby shots then one round of adult....no more. I did read up on it and decided not to give them anymore.

Back