Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vomiting/Diarrhea after eating feather

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So yesterday, Vega destroyed their Da Bird attachment. He was running around playing with the feather and seemed fine, then I heard this slithery noise and only a portion of the feather was there. He had eaten about 2/3-3/4 of the thing. He was eating, drinking and playing as normal for the rest of the day. This morning, they were both awake, went into the sun room, wanted to play, ate...then Vega threw up twice. I caught him pooping and the first portion of the bm seemed normal then turned into a soupy brown mess.

I'm a bit concerned about the feather blocking him up, although it seems that naturally it should be something he should be able to digest. It was one of the natural colored ones, so no obvious dyes. I also switched them from Natures Variety raw to Stella & Chewy's raw yesterday.

I'm hoping this is just a combination of new food and injesting the feather. Thoughts?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I loved your picture of Da Bird...but we gave up feathers long ago due to having 2 separate feather issues like you are speaking of. Scared the crap out of me both times. We went to emergency vet (of course both times on a Sunday...lol) but truly within 2 days it passed, so do not freak yet. Make sure they are eating and drinking. One time our girl kept getting a kind of gag reflex, but after day 2 it passed. Thankfully it is not like a string. We now have toys that are supervised only and as soon as it starts to shred we throw out. I hate feather toys because they love them too much...lol. Before I buy a toy now, I literally pull on it. I ask myself will bell come off to easily, will it shed etc. 2 vet bills we paid for them both were months worth of food bills lol.. Update us, but feathers should break down pretty easily...fingers crossed.

live2flythesky

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I used to feed Stella and Chewy's to my dog, Buddha. He vomited a few times the first few days which I thought was normal from the transition, but then it got to the point where every poop was diarreaha and he was vomiting after every meal.

I don't know if the food could have anything to do with it, but if it was me, I think I would switch Vega back to the old food until you were sure the feather passed without problem. Otherwise, you just won't know if it is the food or feather

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So yesterday, Vega destroyed their Da Bird attachment. He was running around playing with the feather and seemed fine, then I heard this slithery noise and only a portion of the feather was there. He had eaten about 2/3-3/4 of the thing. He was eating, drinking and playing as normal for the rest of the day. This morning, they were both awake, went into the sun room, wanted to play, ate...then Vega threw up twice. I caught him pooping and the first portion of the bm seemed normal then turned into a soupy brown mess.

I'm a bit concerned about the feather blocking him up, although it seems that naturally it should be something he should be able to digest. It was one of the natural colored ones, so no obvious dyes. I also switched them from Natures Variety raw to Stella & Chewy's raw yesterday.

I'm hoping this is just a combination of new food and injesting the feather. Thoughts?

I would guess it is the food change. Keep an eye on him and see if anything changes for the worst.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I used to feed Stella and Chewy's to my dog, Buddha. He vomited a few times the first few days which I thought was normal from the transition, but then it got to the point where every poop was diarreaha and he was vomiting after every meal.

I don't know if the food could have anything to do with it, but if it was me, I think I would switch Vega back to the old food until you were sure the feather passed without problem. Otherwise, you just won't know if it is the food or feather

great advice will take one thing out of the equation

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As far as the feather goes, I think other than possible dyes I wouldn't worry. I mean they ingest feathers in the wild right? I think also that the vomiting and poo issues could be caused by the stella and chewys if he isn't used to it yet....

Keep an I out, I know you will and let us know.

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for your replies. I just got home from work and found no vomit...I'd fed them before I left and gave them some more just now. I felt around Vega's abdomen a bit, and he seem to have any discomfort so I'm hopeful this is something that was a temporary issue. Definitely going to take him in if it continues though

Back