Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Waiting and Waiting and Waiting

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just am going to vent a bit here. I am a full time college student/single mom. I do not work right now as I get really good scholorships to school. I will be ok not working all summer, but I would have to be on a pretty limited budget. I had applied for one random job this summer as it was with the federal government. I had an interview and a call back and they told me as long as my background check came back ok (which it should) that I had the job. They were supposed to let me know May 14, then they changed it to May 19th, then May 23rd, well its June 1st and I am sick of this waiting. I email, I call, nothing! I have to sign my son up for daycare and if they want me to start June 7th like they said they NEED to tell me ASAP. I can't sign him up if they tell me on Friday afternoon and expect me to be there Monday. UGH I am frustrated! And if I get this job there will be a litter robot in my future!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Typical government. Good luck. Government employees get pretty good benefits.

Now may I vent. I have a job interview today with a bank. I feel really confident that I will get it. They too require a background check. I'm worried because I have an outstanding issue with the State of Texas. I'm on probation. Once the probationary period is up, this offense is supposed to be 'sealed' and I won't be convicted of the crime.

Through previous experience I know that this information does show up on a background check which irks me to no end. Do we have any lawyers here that may have some free advice for me?

I won't say the offense I committed but it was truly a victimless crime. I did not hurt anyone either emotionally, financially or physically. And as for the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty'. Well that's total BS. You can sit in jail for months until your case is heard. And while you sit in jail, you lose your job and your apartment, and everything in your apartment. And they wonder why so many people are repeat offenders. So now you're left with nothing and god forbid you really are innocent. How in the heck do you go about recuperating everything you lost?

Sorry, I'm just worried that a stupid background check is going to keep me from getting this job.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope we both get our jobs! I know they called one of my references today so thats a good sign. The only thing I am worried about is a spotty job history. I was a military spouse at one point and I have had many jobs. I was stupid would get bored and quit and find something else. So they asked me about that. I worked last summer, but before that I hadn't worked in two years! The only bad thing in my background would be my credit, my ex trashed it for me.

You now have me very curious to what you "did" LOL

I hope they don't care, and if it wasn't money related I feel your chance are good at the bank!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Typical government. Good luck. Government employees get pretty good benefits.

Now may I vent. I have a job interview today with a bank. I feel really confident that I will get it. They too require a background check. I'm worried because I have an outstanding issue with the State of Texas. I'm on probation. Once the probationary period is up, this offense is supposed to be 'sealed' and I won't be convicted of the crime.

Through previous experience I know that this information does show up on a background check which irks me to no end. Do we have any lawyers here that may have some free advice for me?

I won't say the offense I committed but it was truly a victimless crime. I did not hurt anyone either emotionally, financially or physically. And as for the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty'. Well that's total BS. You can sit in jail for months until your case is heard. And while you sit in jail, you lose your job and your apartment, and everything in your apartment. And they wonder why so many people are repeat offenders. So now you're left with nothing and god forbid you really are innocent. How in the heck do you go about recuperating everything you lost?

Sorry, I'm just worried that a stupid background check is going to keep me from getting this job.

You have a right to worry. If its a felony offense most banks will not hire even if its victimless. I'm not a lawyer but my last boyfriend put me through enough I have enough Ohio knowledge to know! As far as your probationary period, how much longer do you have on that? It can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for an expungement to take place depending upon your lawyer and how "snappy" they are with filing paperwork. Even after your expunged it should not show on your record. Atleast it doesnt here in Ohio. Texas could be different. Honestly I'd be open in your interview about your background and speak with confidence, don't show attitude like you did here in your vent. They will pick that up and count that against you. But as an employer I'd rather hire someone who was upfront with me about their background and what I may see then someone who didn't mention a word. And if you speak confidently about it and maturely then I'm sure if its truely something small then they may overlook it. If they don't bring it up themselves, they will ask for questions at the end of your interview, this is when you'll want to bring up the background issue.

Goodluck, finding a job anywhere these days is very difficult.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just did my interview. It went pretty well. I think.

Yes, it was a felony but I haven't been convicted. So I have been arrested for a felony but not convicted. As for the offense, screw it, I'll say. It was a fake prescription for 20 pain pills for my own personal use. A real honest to god victimless criminal offense.

I was stupid. Very stupid. But in my defense, if I knew it was a felony, I never would have even considered pulling a stunt like that.

Oh, the background check didn't even come up in our conversation. In fact, it hasn't been mentioned yet and this is my 2nd communication with them.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well I want a litter robot for sure, but I have been eye balling a breeders website who has a savannah I really really want. LOL

For some strange reason I got an email today about someone trying to rehome a breeding pair of bengals. It was out of the blue but they must have heard I was a crazy cat lady. She said she was 250 for them THUD but I don't know if I want them. They are in Colorado Springs, so if you know anyone... LOL I need a breeding pair of bengals like I need a hole in my head. They have no papers so whats the point in breeding them?

Here is what she said:

unfortunately i dont have papers for them. I "rescued" them from an ex friend of mine who was getting divorced and her husband was trying to have them put to sleep for no reason what so ever.

it's very obvious in looking at them and meeting them that they're exotics. :)

the best part of them, i think, is that if you wanted , they aren't fixed yet, so you could breed them, but if not, you'd be more than welcome to have them fixed. I just want them to find a good home, and if that good home could be with someone who knows exotics, that'd be great.

i hate to get rid of them, but like I said , my landlord is convinced that they're like bobcats or something (even though she's seen them) and she will NOT let us keep them.

Here are the pictures, I know nothing about Bengals

Attachments

• bengal.jpg
    bengal.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • bengal2.jpg
    bengal2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10
  • bengal4.jpg
    bengal4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bengal 3.jpg
    bengal 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
  • bengal 6.jpg
    bengal 6.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9
  • bengal 7.jpg
    bengal 7.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
  • bengal 8.jpg
    bengal 8.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8

Bella07

Banned
Oh well, who wouldn't want more money???
I'm trying to renovate my house right now, and all of my extra cash is going to that project. But, once the house is done, the first thing that I want to buy is a Sphynx!
And I hope you both get the job :ThumbsUp:

As to the bengals, they are cute! But, with no papers, nor do they look show quality, I really hope whoever adopts them gets them fixed.

Let us know when you know about the job!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I told her I would keep an ear out for someone, I don't want to intro any cats until I get this URI licked for good, plus I don't really have an intrest in/or know about bengals.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think you have me sold on Savannah anyways. I just saw her ad on craigslist so I don't know what craigslist fairy gave her my email. I hope she finds a good home for them!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They do not look pure Bengal either and should not be bred.
Bengals do get HCM.
BTW Leo the Bengal my sister got to replace Ty is very mean and she has to get rid of him.
The asking price will be $300.
My sister will get a kitten in his place.
He was a return once before.
You do not know the history of those cats either.
They are from a BYB and may have many problems.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I just did my interview. It went pretty well. I think.

Yes, it was a felony but I haven't been convicted. So I have been arrested for a felony but not convicted. As for the offense, screw it, I'll say. It was a fake prescription for 20 pain pills for my own personal use. A real honest to god victimless criminal offense.

I was stupid. Very stupid. But in my defense, if I knew it was a felony, I never would have even considered pulling a stunt like that.

Oh, the background check didn't even come up in our conversation. In fact, it hasn't been mentioned yet and this is my 2nd communication with them.

Well goodluck anyhow, I hope it all works out!

susi794

Staff member
Praying you will both get the jobs. Gato--forgive me, but what you did was stupid--but ya know what? Everybody screws up--everybody is stupid sometimes. It sounds to me like you have already paid a dear price and that you've been punished enough--I'm hoping that your nightmare will soon be over and that you will get this job and things will look up for you.

Inferno12

Banned
Yes, typical government. I work for them so I know. Hang in there and it may not be such a bad thing that you havent heard from them. Lots and lots of paperwork to do!

GatoLoco....yes very stupid thing BUT we all make stupid mistakes. I hope you get through this and get your job! I do feel that once you to the time for a crime that you should be able to get on with your life!

Good luck to you both and keep us posted.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know they have called all 3 of my references, so now I am still... WAITING. They wanted me to start on Monday but now there is no way I can find daycare in that short amount of time. Ugh, frustrating! They need to let me know ASAP.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know they have called all 3 of my references, so now I am still... WAITING. They wanted me to start on Monday but now there is no way I can find daycare in that short amount of time. Ugh, frustrating! They need to let me know ASAP.

Hopefully they will reward you with both a job offer and some time to make proper daycare arrangements. I wish I lived closer. I'd pop over to babysit.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I wish! I shudder at the thought of putting him back in daycare I have had two awful expiriences with daycars and I am super nervous about putting him back in. In August he starts at the top rated daycare in my city but he has been on the waiting list for 18 months and finally got in! Its at the college and will be a brand new building. This summer daycare stuff has me worried. My gramma has been watching him but she just can't anymore. Too many health issues and a too rowdy toddler.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I GOT THE JOB! Ha I love it already I asked her what the hours were and she is like oh well you can set your own hours THUD wow!

Back