Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Want to breed. But can't handle spraying!

Jourdoom

Lairian
Im a new sphynx mama to an adorable kitty boy who's just a little over a year and I want to breed him but dunno how to go about that and how to find someone or anything at all. He sprays my house down and if drives me bonkers! I am about to just say screw it and get his junk cut off!! Any advice???

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know nothing about breeding other than it is a full time job and has to be done with your heart all the way in. I personaly couldn't do it. I would get him fixed =\

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Did you get breeding rights for him from your breeder?

I have never heard of a way to deter the spraying, from what I've heard most breeding males do it.

Why don't you keep him as a pet (neutered) and spend a lot of time researching the breed and breeding and see how you feel then. That's what I would do at least :)

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe you should find a breeder and see if they would mentor you. I know they are so cute when they are babies, but your first concern should be the health of the breed. Has yours been scanned? Personally I would neuter him, especially if spraying is a big issue for you. I don't think this can be avoided in a breeding male. The integrity and health of the breed should come first!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Sounds like your gut is already telling you what to do. If spraying is a problem, breeding will only create more issues. From all I have read it is very expensive and labor intensive. Enjoy your baby, get him neutered and love him to pieces. Last thing you want is to have frustrated feelings toward him when he is only doing a natural thing. It is healthier for him to be neutered.

Patti

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I will agree with all the above, we have bred in the past and believe me it is no easy task. You have to take lots into consideration! The fact that the spraying bothers you is big in the no column. Then you have the contract, breeding rights, finding the right female, more breeding rights and contracts. Health of the cats. Plus lots more for the cats and kittens. Then you have you and your family, job, home, do you have the extra space? You need at least one room dedicated to kittens, and you need everyone in you home on board with the decision. It takes lots of time and dedication. You have to be willing to sacrifice for the cats and kittens.

BrianT

Lairian
As a amateur breeder of 2 litters now, I can tell you our stud has never sprayed one time. This usually only happens when there is another intact male around. If it is just a stud and a female, you shouldn't have any problems. ;0) GOOD LUCK!! It is one of the greatest experiences my family have ever shared! The hardest part is letting go of the kittens when the time comes.

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A contraceptive implant. Then he can live safely with the females too until he is " needed" .so often the breeding males are kept alone. Very sad. Google it maybe?

marti Patterson

Lairian
Hi Brian T, I'm reading this thread and am so happy to find a breeder that has positive feedback. I have 3 sphynx, the youngest I just adopted with breeding rights. He will be my only non-nueterd male. I have yet to purchase the female. Im thinking 4 months from now. I have the time, space and intense desire to breed them. Any advice you have would be awesome....thanks so much for your positive outlook ❤

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
This is an older post from 2014 but I will tag @Brian T in hopes they might respond to your comment above. Good luck. Is the breeder you got your male from going to be your mentor? We have seen that having a mentor has been very helpful to newbie breeders. @marti Patterson