Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wanting to adopt a Female (Nebraska Native)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilSarah

Lairian
Hello all.

I've been looking for a Sphynx for a while now. I currently live in an apartment in Nebraska and have wanted a pet for years. The only issue, the building only allows cats and I have an allergy to them.

Now I realize that the Sphynx is in no way allergy free but with regular care and cleaning I believe the allergies will be manageable. Also females are believed to produce less of the allergy causing Fel D1, which is why I'm only looking at female cats.

I'm not going in this blind ether. I would love to schedule a "cuddle" meeting to see if the allergies would be a major issue. I don't want to cause any more stress because of having to re-home. I just need to find a Sphynx home to visit.

I've been looking around for breeders and adoptable cats but I'm not sure who is legit and what I should be looking for. I found this site quite by accident and it seemed like you all were more than willing to help.

Please let me know your thoughts. I need all the advise I can get. I want to provide a forever home for one of these wonderful cats because I believe more then anything she would be a great fit.

She can be any age and I am willing to travel a bit, but I can only do weekend travel at this point. So somewhere close would be ideal. Also I won't be able to actually house a cat until the middle of next month when I've got everything sorted out.

Thank you all for any help.

susi794

Staff member
Good luck in your search--hope you can tolerate one of these little angels.....and that you find what you're looking for.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I certainly hope you find a sphynx. They will change your life. I mean it.

My advice to you is keep your nose to the ground. It may take a while but if you check here and other places, you will eventually find a breeder or member willing to let you come by. Heck, if you lived close to Texas I'd let you come by and check out Butterball.

You are right, they are not allergy free but the allergies are much less with a sphynx. Not to mention not getting hairs everywhere.

Umm, I guess that's it. That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
I applaud you for realizing that Sphynx are not hypo allergenic. But bathing can help those with sensitivities.

I wish you luck on your search and hope you can find a Sphynx close to your home to meet in person.

Last edited:

Bella07

Banned
Good Luck with your search! Even though I have 5 furry animals at home, I am slightly allergic. You know, runny nose, itchy eyes, congested...etc....But, I've learned to tolerate it. When I met a bunch of Sphynx cats, not one reaction out of me! So, hopefully it'll be the same way for you too. Best of Luck in your search! Also keep an eye on Craigslist and Hoobly, they will pop up every now and then if you watch closely.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Goodluck in your search and welcome to the Lair. I have a Sphynx kitty because my boyfriend is deathly allergic to "cat hair",,so we needed a bald kitty to enjoy and after much enjoyed searching I found the one for us! Goodluck and I hope your allergies don't hold you back from getting one of these delightful kitties!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like you are doing all the right things, I'm sure you will find the right baby for you!

AprilSarah

Lairian
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I will keep my eyes open and ear to the ground for anything promising and let you all know if things work out.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Common sense will also help with your allergies- IF you have a slight reaction, keep the kitties out of the bedroom (because they like to sleep on pillows and you shouldn't have your head on a pillow with allergens in your face all night long). Baths, wipe downs will help as well.

Good luck!

And that is what it might come down to, as much as I would love to share my bed with them.

Hello and welcome! My husband has asthma and is allergic to just about anything with fur. Our Sphynxies give him no trouble what so ever! At first we said no cats in the bedroom just in case but both sleep in our bed...:LOL: Still no allergy issues! I hope you will be as lucky! They are phenomenal animals!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well one of the cats slept in the bed last night and no allergy issues at all.

AprilSarah

Lairian
SEARCH UPDATE:

I have found a breeder very near to where I live. They seem legitimate. I've contacted them and have started the process that will hopefully lead to a new family member.

The kitten I'm looking at right now is a white blue-eyed female who is simply gorgeous.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can you pm me the breeders site?
I would love to see pics.
BTW I have severe asthma and allergies and have 7 cats.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome!! Best of luck in your search! I really hope the breeder works out for you. I also have severe allergies to just about everything, including cats and dogs. I have such a minor reaction to my sphynx that I don't even take allergy meds for them. Once you get a sphynx, you will wonder how you lived without!! I'm crossing my fingers for you:ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I did not pm you back because my pms are full.
There are some nice looking sphynx on the breeders website.
I also have heard of them.
Are you going to get the female?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
SEARCH UPDATE:

I have found a breeder very near to where I live. They seem legitimate. I've contacted them and have started the process that will hopefully lead to a new family member.

The kitten I'm looking at right now is a white blue-eyed female who is simply gorgeous.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, AprilSarah.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of my boys came from a breeder in Nebraska. She was very helpful, kept in contact throughout (and afterwards) and he arrived healthy.

Good luck:ThumbsUp:

AprilSarah

Lairian
I did not pm you back because my pms are full.
There are some nice looking sphynx on the breeders website.
I also have heard of them.
Are you going to get the female?

Yes that is the idea. I'm actually going out of the country fro two and a half weeks but I get to pick her up when I get back. The breeder has been very helpful and so far things are looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back