Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wanting to rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoeyGirl

Lairian
Hi everyone I have fallen in love with the Sphynx breed and have been looking to rescue a sphynx for awhile. Unfortunately all I have come across have been scams :(. I live in central California and am willing to travel to anywhere in California and Nevada. If a cat is in a desperate need to be rescued I may be willing to travel farther. If you have any questions please feel to ask. If you know anyone who may be looking for a new permanent home for a cat or kitten let me know and I can give you my information or visa versa.
Hoping to add a baldy to our family soon,
Natasha

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

How much are you willing to pay?
I live in Central California also.
The rescue charges around $500.
I can write them and say you are interested if any sphynx come in.
I have offered to volunteer with them.
Please be careful of the ads out here.
There are a few bad breeders that have been putting sphynx in ads out here.
These cats are very sick and some even have HCM.

ZoeyGirl

Lairian
I think that would probably be my limit for a rescue. I guess it just depends on the cat. There have been alot of breeders out here that I noticed that are purely breeding for money and the quality of cat is not there nor is the quality of care. I've decided on rescuing/adopting because I would rather help a kittie in need then fund one of those catteries.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I almost made a very bad mistake getting from one of those bad catteries because I knew nothing and was only looking within 4 hours from here.
Have you ever touched a sphynx before?
If not we have some shows coming up in the valley and I will be there with mine.

ZoeyGirl

Lairian
I have actually. I use to work at a vet clinic and we had a couple of them come in and that was the start of me falling in love with them. Id actually be very interested in going to a show if it was close enough.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I honestly think you are shooting yourself in the foot if the only reason you are choosing to go through rescue is because you do not want to fund a 'bad cattery' as you put it.

If you want to rescue because you feel like it is your place to adopt a neglected cat- then please, by all means do so... Or if you cannot afford a kitten from a reputable breeder (and I hate to say it- but not all good breeders charge $1800 for their kittens)- then please rescue, but please don't discount the good breeders because of the bad ones you have encountered.

A good breeder is invaluable. As much as the thought of spending probably $1000 sounds like a lot- when a kitten comes to you from someone who cares, who will provide a health guarantee and lifetime support for a kitten- you can't even put a pricetag on that! While you can adopt- but you may very well spend that $1000 on a cat that does not have any guarantees to his life and you will lack a support system for said cat (well, this site is a good support system- but most of you know what I mean).

I obviously think rescuing has a wonderful place in our society, but it disheartens me to hear people say they would prefer to adopt rather then deal with a breeder. It is obvious when those type of comments are made that a relationship with a great breeder has never been established before.

ZoeyGirl

Lairian
All are very good points and I can assure you that what I stated in my previous post was not the only reason for me to choose to adopt/rescue. I have both worked and volunteered for my local SPCA so rescueing and adopting is something I firmly believe in. I understand the benefits of buying from a reputable breeder. I could afford to buy one from a cattery but I am choosing to take in a cat that may need a permanent home no matter what happens down the road. There are a couple of good catteries that I have found near here that I will probably get a kitten from in the future but for right now my mission is to open my home to provide a wonderful family to a cat that hasn't had the chance to experiance that.
Thank you for caring enough to ask abou it sleepheadkitten!
I honestly think you are shooting yourself in the foot if the only reason you are choosing to go through rescue is because you do not want to fund a 'bad cattery' as you put it.

If you want to rescue because you feel like it is your place to adopt a neglected cat- then please, by all means do so... Or if you cannot afford a kitten from a reputable breeder (and I hate to say it- but not all good breeders charge $1800 for their kittens)- then please rescue, but please don't discount the good breeders because of the bad ones you have encountered.

A good breeder is invaluable. As much as the thought of spending probably $1000 sounds like a lot- when a kitten comes to you from someone who cares, who will provide a health guarantee and lifetime support for a kitten- you can't even put a pricetag on that! While you can adopt- but you may very well spend that $1000 on a cat that does not have any guarantees to his life and you will lack a support system for said cat (well, this site is a good support system- but most of you know what I mean).

I obviously think rescuing has a wonderful place in our society, but it disheartens me to hear people say they would prefer to adopt rather then deal with a breeder. It is obvious when those type of comments are made that a relationship with a great breeder has never been established before.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, then I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you! I just adopted out two girls from S Cal- they were dropped off at a kill shelter and needed a specific type of home due to their temperment and age. So they are out there- it's a bit of luck, a bit of research and sometimes expanding your search a bit :D

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You just missed the Visalia cat show.
It was 2 weeks ago.
We have have a show in Modesto this month then another in Fresno on May.

Killey333

Lairian
Hello! My name is Kelly and I'm new to Sphynx lair. I was wondering if you ever found a kitty to rescue? I genuinely admire your convictions and want to thank you. If people lack the type of compassion you display humanity would be doomed. Well, I'm rambling, it's what I do!
I may have a male kitty of eight months old that needs rescuing! He comes with an interesting story. Painfully shy around new people, but warms up quickly!

TotenEngel

Banned
Hello! My name is Kelly and I'm new to Sphynx lair. I was wondering if you ever found a kitty to rescue? I genuinely admire your convictions and want to thank you. If people lack the type of compassion you display humanity would be doomed. Well, I'm rambling, it's what I do!
I may have a male kitty of eight months old that needs rescuing! He comes with an interesting story. Painfully shy around new people, but warms up quickly!

where are you based?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We just had a new posting for 2 sphynx needing a home- It's in New Jersey but maybe some arrangements can be made. Check it out:BigSmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back