Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wanting to start up

silverfox

Lairian
I have loved sphynx since I first saw 5 in town the owner wanted me to give them a bath, at first I thought that it was going to be hard to get them in, because of my tortty hatted water. but once i got the water done they came in and jumped right in to the water and started plaing.
Ever since I have wanted to have at least one but when I started looking for them found out that there arn't many breaders, and none in new mexico. I have watted tell I was out of high school and i am still getting ready thought i am in coladge, to start breading in new mexico.
The main thing is i want to get all of the home work on the bread and find out the best ways to start up and keep going before I get the breading pair and start.
any info will be verry nice.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No offence but I think you are a bit away from starting to breed yet.
It's not only a matter of having two cats and being able to take care of them as pets.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Get a show alter first.
Good breeders do not allow people to get a whole sphynx at first.
You have alot to learn before you can breed.
Also do not use a breeder just because they are in your state or area.
You need to make sure the breeder HCM scans their cats.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No offence and I do wish you well, but a coladge (sic) student probably isn't in a stable enough position in life to consider breeding. Plus a breeding pair isn't a great idea, it takes more than 1 female to keep a stud satisfied.

susi794

Staff member
That's for sure! And it can cost THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars if even one tiny thing goes wrong. A college student doesn't usually have the resources for that. You aren't ready to breed just because you can somehow get a male and a female. Look up the threads here about taking breeding seriously.

firehillqueen

Banned
I have loved sphynx since I first saw 5 in town the owner wanted me to give them a bath, at first I thought that it was going to be hard to get them in, because of my tortty hatted water. but once i got the water done they came in and jumped right in to the water and started plaing.
Ever since I have wanted to have at least one but when I started looking for them found out that there arn't many breaders, and none in new mexico. I have watted tell I was out of high school and i am still getting ready thought i am in coladge, to start breading in new mexico.
The main thing is i want to get all of the home work on the bread and find out the best ways to start up and keep going before I get the breading pair and start.
any info will be verry nice.

College? Really?

spygirl

Banned
I have to agree with all these posts. I do not breed sphynx cats, but I do breed ball pythons and crested geckos. Before we moved to this smaller house, I used to breed rats and button quail. I always have a savings account ready in case something goes wrong. And believe me, no matter how much you plan, something will eventually go wrong. Its heartbreaking and expensive. At this point, I've invested thousands of dollars in my animals and you can bet that I'm making sure I've got my bases covered.

I think its great to have a dream. But lots and lots and lots of research must be done to ensure the safety of the animals in your care.

Bella07

Banned
I'm on my phone, so it's difficult to post. But, as a heads up:
-I think you meant "breed" not bread.
-Again, it is not breading. It's breeding.
-I think you meant "college."

My advice:
Breeding is a costly endeavor. You must study pedigree upon pedigree, attend shows, scan for genetic problems (ie. HCM), etc. The lost goes on to great entail. If you are serious about breeding, then you must find a reputable mentor and go from there.

silverfox

Lairian
thank you all for your input, this is the reason i asked is so i can learn more about what will have to be done. would it be right for me to get like the male cat and keep him as a pet then latter down the line get a girl?
Or should I hold off altogether tell i am out of school to even look at having a sphynx?
I asked so that way i could see what people who have expereance could tell me what i will need to do and consider.
thank you and please keep the aswers coming.
:Dizzy:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Silverfox, you have done the right thing by asking questions and honestly I think where you are now in your life I would hold off on breeding. If you can have pets in college then start looking at the sphynx and breeders but I would look for a pet and have it fixed this way you will learn all about the breed.
We breed now and let me tell you it is hard work and does come with alot of heart ache, we are having our male fixed next week and are going to enjoy our pets.
There is so much involved all around in breeding and is very costly, just to start with a breeding pair they will cost around $2000 each. Then you have the vet bills and breeding you will go thru a ton of food.
My opinion is start with a pet :Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
Silverfox, you have done the right thing by asking questions and honestly I think where you are now in your life I would hold off on breeding. If you can have pets in college then start looking at the sphynx and breeders but I would look for a pet and have it fixed this way you will learn all about the breed.
We breed now and let me tell you it is hard work and does come with alot of heart ache, we are having our male fixed next week and are going to enjoy our pets.
There is so much involved all around in breeding and is very costly, just to start with a breeding pair they will cost around $2000 each. Then you have the vet bills and breeding you will go thru a ton of food.
My opinion is start with a pet :Laugh:

I totally agree!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree also.
Do not breed and if you want a sphynx get a whole.
No it would not be right to get a whole male at this time.
Whole males tend to spray and will be desperate to mate.
Some will cry if they can not get a female.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You sound like you really love the breed. It not only takes a mature person to start a breeding program, it takes someone that has the time and resources along with a substantial cash reserve. It is a serious endeavor to take on. I have thought about it over and over. I could not take the heartbreak of what happens in a cattery. You can have sick cats and kittens that don't make it. The males can hurt other cats, spray everywhere in your home and the females yowl constantly when they are in heat. This is too much drama for me and I am a tough person. Cats are a very fragile and unique species. Think very hard on this one. Good luck.:ThumbsUp:

silverfox

Lairian
thank you all I really do want to know everyting that i should and shouldn't do for breading i will only be school for one more year and i would like to start up when i am married so then i can be a stay at home mom to cats.
thank you for telling me that it would be better for me to start out with a pet shynx first and i was wondering if any one could give me the site/number to a good breader.

silverfox

Lairian
Thank you all for the advice, I would still like all the info I can get about breading sphinx so I know all that I can. I want to do this right with out hurting any cats or me so please keep the info coming it is helping alot.
thank you:Exclamation:

Bella07

Banned
Thank you all for the advice, I would still like all the info I can get about breading sphinx so I know all that I can. I want to do this right with out hurting any cats or me so please keep the info coming it is helping alot.
thank you:Exclamation:

I really think that it would be great for you to visit cat shows anytime they come to your area. You can google TICA and CFA show calenders to find out. This would give you a great perspective on the breed, and let you meet other breeders, who share the same passion as you. You need to find a show and breeder mentor. You need someone in person, who is able to guide you and teach you everything that you need to know. You need to research, research, research. You need to know all about the Sphynx breed standard. You need to learn the breed, learn about HCM and other diseases, etc. You will never stop learning. Good Luck.

Lottaskin

Lairian
1. You will need a house that you own to breed cats. You do not want a landord to kick you or the cats out.

2. You will need your own house because you will need seperate rooms for males and females. You should only have 1 or maybe 2 litters a year to keep your cats healthy.

3. Unfixed cats spray and there is very little to do about it. They get stressed out easily and will look for a mate. Male AND female cats will pee all over the house and you will frankly just have to deal with it. Hence a boy's room is very necessary not just for keeping them from breeding and chewing on the girls but they can pee all over the walls and keep the stink in there (though it doesn't stay in there).

4. You should breed for a reason. Why do you want to breed? To make money? (doesn't happen fyi) To make the breed better? You need to have a goal.

5. You ust be prepared to keep all of the kitten sif you can't find homes for them. They are YOUR responsibility and none of your kittens should ever end up in danger or at a shelter.

6. Purebreds are amazingly more difficult to breed than anyone can convey to you. These cats also have rampant heart disease. HCM that you do NOT want to be breeding into. Even if you try your hardest you will most likely end up with a tragedy. Well.. a good chance.

7. You need to know what a sphynx looks like. Not all sphynx are good breeders. You need to know what shape their head should look like, how their bellies should form, how they feel weight wise, how their ears should look like. This will take years. I am not trying to discourage you this is just how it is.

To do this you MUST go to a cat show with a good number of sphynx. Ask the judges (many different ones) what they like or do not like about a sphynx. Ask the owners what their cats best features are or worse.

This is why people want you to get an alter and show it.. so you can train yourself to k now what it is a sphynx should look like. It should not look like an oriental nor a persian.

8. You will need to wait 1 year before breeding your cat. You will then need to find a board certified cardiologist to scan it's heart and deem whether it's breed worthy health wise or not. If there are heart abnormalities you must neuter and start over. these scans can run anywhere between $150-$700 per cat per year and should be done every year.

You will need to train yourself on diseases. 99% of ALL catteries are carrying some disease. Bring in two different cats from two different catteries that should make it about.. 100% Get to know what chlamydia, kennel cough, FIP/corona virus, mycoplasma amongst other things and pyrometria. If a girl is not bred she can get an infection of the uterus that could kill her. So you need to keep your eye for it.

9? 10? You will need to find a breeder that THEY THEMSELVES scan for HCM and offer health guarentees and have good feedback from other buyers. If you don't you could be in a world of loss, heartache and law suits over kittens you've sold that suddenly die. You will also need to make a contract and study the legalize wording to keep yourself and your cats protected.

You absolutely need to be stable in order to sart breeind. It's not fair to them if you just decide to quit or decide to move back home where you can't have cats.

12. (lol) What will happen to your cats when you decide to have a human child? Most moms will get rid of the cats and family members will badger you. Will you have time to clean 4 litter boxes and feed a baby every 2 hours?

13. Obviously you speak a different language but your English is really bad and I think it gives an aire that you are not educated. I'm sure you are but it would help to take some English classes so there's no misunderstandings between you and your mentor.. ( you will need a sphynx mentor to hold your hand by the way.. trust me). I do not want to be insultive in any way saying this so please don't take it like that. Or you could get a very good sphynx mentor who also speaks your language. If you have to tube feed a kitten you really want your T's crossed so-to-speak.

You should buy a cat health book too so you can recognize diseases and get them treated right away.

I know when I was first starting I was very insulted when people would say don't breed! So I do not want to say that. It's super hard to breed purebreds. People won't say it but kitten death statistics in a cattery can be like 70%. It's super hard. And who is to say your cat WANTS to be a mom. My first sphynx did NOT want to be a mom and I was up every hour feeding kittens and if you have a job... those 9 hours your gone will most likely kill a kitten if you have to hand rear it which happens a LOT.

Also keep in mind over 700 litters are born every year of just sphynx kittens. There are plently to go around and it's harder than you think to rehome them. Prices are dropping dramatically and fast. A $1200 sphynx kitten last year is only worth $700 this year. And with all the vet expense you will end up in debt.

You should also know it costs a couple hundred to show your cat per show (dependent on driving and type of show) so that also goes out the window and you should really earn some ribbons before breeding your cat. Just so you have the approval of a judge that says yes, this is a decent enough sphynx to be bred.

I could go on.... :)

Gizzymom

Banned
1. You will need a house that you own to breed cats. You do not want a landord to kick you or the cats out.

2. You will need your own house because you will need seperate rooms for males and females. You should only have 1 or maybe 2 litters a year to keep your cats healthy.

3. Unfixed cats spray and there is very little to do about it. They get stressed out easily and will look for a mate. Male AND female cats will pee all over the house and you will frankly just have to deal with it. Hence a boy's room is very necessary not just for keeping them from breeding and chewing on the girls but they can pee all over the walls and keep the stink in there (though it doesn't stay in there).

4. You should breed for a reason. Why do you want to breed? To make money? (doesn't happen fyi) To make the breed better? You need to have a goal.

5. You ust be prepared to keep all of the kitten sif you can't find homes for them. They are YOUR responsibility and none of your kittens should ever end up in danger or at a shelter.

6. Purebreds are amazingly more difficult to breed than anyone can convey to you. These cats also have rampant heart disease. HCM that you do NOT want to be breeding into. Even if you try your hardest you will most likely end up with a tragedy. Well.. a good chance.

7. You need to know what a sphynx looks like. Not all sphynx are good breeders. You need to know what shape their head should look like, how their bellies should form, how they feel weight wise, how their ears should look like. This will take years. I am not trying to discourage you this is just how it is.

To do this you MUST go to a cat show with a good number of sphynx. Ask the judges (many different ones) what they like or do not like about a sphynx. Ask the owners what their cats best features are or worse.

This is why people want you to get an alter and show it.. so you can train yourself to k now what it is a sphynx should look like. It should not look like an oriental nor a persian.

8. You will need to wait 1 year before breeding your cat. You will then need to find a board certified cardiologist to scan it's heart and deem whether it's breed worthy health wise or not. If there are heart abnormalities you must neuter and start over. these scans can run anywhere between $150-$700 per cat per year and should be done every year.

You will need to train yourself on diseases. 99% of ALL catteries are carrying some disease. Bring in two different cats from two different catteries that should make it about.. 100% Get to know what chlamydia, kennel cough, FIP/corona virus, mycoplasma amongst other things and pyrometria. If a girl is not bred she can get an infection of the uterus that could kill her. So you need to keep your eye for it.

9? 10? You will need to find a breeder that THEY THEMSELVES scan for HCM and offer health guarentees and have good feedback from other buyers. If you don't you could be in a world of loss, heartache and law suits over kittens you've sold that suddenly die. You will also need to make a contract and study the legalize wording to keep yourself and your cats protected.

You absolutely need to be stable in order to sart breeind. It's not fair to them if you just decide to quit or decide to move back home where you can't have cats.

12. (lol) What will happen to your cats when you decide to have a human child? Most moms will get rid of the cats and family members will badger you. Will you have time to clean 4 litter boxes and feed a baby every 2 hours?

13. Obviously you speak a different language but your English is really bad and I think it gives an aire that you are not educated. I'm sure you are but it would help to take some English classes so there's no misunderstandings between you and your mentor.. ( you will need a sphynx mentor to hold your hand by the way.. trust me). I do not want to be insultive in any way saying this so please don't take it like that. Or you could get a very good sphynx mentor who also speaks your language. If you have to tube feed a kitten you really want your T's crossed so-to-speak.

You should buy a cat health book too so you can recognize diseases and get them treated right away.

I know when I was first starting I was very insulted when people would say don't breed! So I do not want to say that. It's super hard to breed purebreds. People won't say it but kitten death statistics in a cattery can be like 70%. It's super hard. And who is to say your cat WANTS to be a mom. My first sphynx did NOT want to be a mom and I was up every hour feeding kittens and if you have a job... those 9 hours your gone will most likely kill a kitten if you have to hand rear it which happens a LOT.

Also keep in mind over 700 litters are born every year of just sphynx kittens. There are plently to go around and it's harder than you think to rehome them. Prices are dropping dramatically and fast. A $1200 sphynx kitten last year is only worth $700 this year. And with all the vet expense you will end up in debt.

You should also know it costs a couple hundred to show your cat per show (dependent on driving and type of show) so that also goes out the window and you should really earn some ribbons before breeding your cat. Just so you have the approval of a judge that says yes, this is a decent enough sphynx to be bred.

I could go on.... :)

Perfect, Perfect, Perfect....:ThumbsUp:

pooner

Banned
Very good information and advice. I knew breeding took a lot but when you break it all down it's an amazing amount of work. I'm happy just being a mommy to Pooner but I'm glad you shared all this information for those considering becoming a breeder. :ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair Lottaskin. Your experience as a breeder and responsible pet owner comes through in your post. Thanks for posting.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it's great that you're doing your research before jumping in and buying whatever whole kitties you find for sale. It speaks very well of you.

One thing I would really like to emphasize - strongly emphasize - is the financial resources needed. I used to breed Maine Coons back when I was married, and my husband and I had a saying. We used to say that he worked to support us humans and I worked to support the cats. And that's totally true; every penny I made ended up in the cats. I remember once when my total cat expenses (this also included showing) in a 6 month period came to $26,000 - and my cattery was considered small, I had 1 stud and 3 queens. My income from kittens in that period was about $2,000. And this was over 20 years ago; I'm sure everything costs proportionately more nowadays. Though the kitten prices seem to have remained the same. But back then there were few breeders, now it looks like there's one on every street corner, and that has kept the prices down. My point is, it's completely unrealistic to expect kitten sales to support your kitties. It just doesn't happen, not for good breeders.

I can't stress enough how important financial resources are. You can easily invest $3,000 in a decent breeding quality female kitten. Spend about another $1,000 (estimated) in raising her to breeding age. When she's old enough to be bred you can tack on about another $1,000-$1,500 in getting her ready by getting her scanned, vaccinations updated, and routine lab tests done (this includes testing for all infectious diseases and complete blood profiles). If you don't have a stud of your own, be prepared to spend a couple thousand more for stud service. Plus shipping fees. And be aware that stud service contracts stipulate that a failed breeding (usually considered as fewer than 2 surviving kittens, but this does vary a bit) will be compensated by a free additional breeding being given - I don't know of any breeder, of any breed, who will return the stud fee you paid (unless you happen to be close personal friends with the stud owner).

Realistically, you've got a conservative estimate of about $5,000 invested in ONE female at this point, closer to $8,000 if you're using an outside stud. So your girl is bred and you think she's pregnant. Yay!

And all is well until the day you notice her licking her cootch a lot, then see a little puss coming from her vulva. You now have the pleasure of spending at least another $1,000 getting her seen at the emergency clinic. And this is just to walk in the door and have some simple blood work and xrays done. Forget waiting until tomorrow when your regular cheap vet is open because what you're looking at right now will kill your queen if you wait. And worst-case scenerio, which happens frequently, is that you get to invest another $1,000 in an emergency spaying.

Congratulations, you now own a $7,000 - $10,000 PET female! And I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. I'm being totally serious. And honest. Cause it's happened to me and to a LOT of breeders I know.

When it comes to breeding, I always ask potential breeders: Do you have at least $5,000 in your wallet right now that you can put a match to? Cause if you don't then you realistically can't afford to breed.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the above cases are my experiences with Maine Coons, and MC's are notoriously easy to breed. Sphynx babies are MUCH more fragile. I'm quite experienced with breeding, yet the thought of breeding Sphynx, no matter how tempting, scares the hell out of me.

Back