Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

We are adopting a Deaf baby advice?

kitty41h

Lairian
We are adopting our second Sphynx on Sunday. He is 6 months old and deaf. He came from a breeder in the UK. to his current owner. He does not get along with her female. We have a male Tiny and a blue russian Fred. I hope this goes well adding a 3rd ...what am crazy cat lady! YESSSSSSSSSS He is pure white born deaf. His name is Casper. I'm excited and nervous!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@kitty41h CONGRATULATIONS! We have had a few members in the past that had deaf babies, but they have not been active in quite some time. One thing I recall is that when it comes to training and toys etc, you need to look for those that stimulate the other senses. Laser toys and things that light up rather the those that make crinkly noises etc. Since they cannot hear, training is often based on vibrations...like stomping. They shared it can be a bit frustrating until they learn and it is important for everyone in the household to be consistent on your signals (hand signals as well) It's natural to call a cat and expect a reaction, so you need to train yourself. Like coming home and giving them a treat as soon as they see you and run to you. They are creatures of habit and you will need to change your behaviors to accommodate them if you want certain behaviors to reoccur. Just be patient and reassuring and not fast movements until he is acclimated. Please share Casper with us and how he progresses. Your information will no doubt help members in the future.

patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's great your taking him even though he's deaf.
Lots of people wouldn't. So thank you.
He still needs love, spoiling, snuggles, food, and
a home. It's common for a white cat to be deaf.
Just get his attention with your arms, hands, and show
him if he comes what it is.
Food, loving, kisses, cuddling, playtime.
Plus he will follow the other's lead.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats to you and Casper. Like @Catzzzmeow said teach him in hand gestures.
Look up some training for deaf dogs that might give you a starting point.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations with Casper! Hope we see pics of him and your other two soon. I don't have experience with deaf cats so can't give you advice. Only wanted to chime in to say I think it's great of you to take a deaf cat in your home. Thank you for taking care of Casper!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @kitty41h and welcome to Sphynxlair! Sounds like you have a great pet family! Please enjoy our wonderful sphynx community! :)

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome! Can't wait for pictures. I've never met a deaf cat but did know someone with a deaf dog. They used sign commands and taped on surfaces. I'm assuming it might be similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats on your new addition. I am looking forward to hearing how he adapts to his new home!

Charliespyhnx

Lairian
We are adopting our second Sphynx on Sunday. He is 6 months old and deaf. He came from a breeder in the UK. to his current owner. He does not get along with her female. We have a male Tiny and a blue russian Fred. I hope this goes well adding a 3rd ...what am crazy cat lady! YESSSSSSSSSS He is pure white born deaf. His name is Casper. I'm excited and nervous!
Hi there, I have tried to post and introduce myself but struggling to use the site! My boy Charlie arrived two weeks ago and I think he is deaf, is there a test I can do because I would really like to know xxxx

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Charliesphynx I recall one member had made a very loud noise like popping a balloon (something that would not make a vibration) and their kitten did not even flinch. I am also attaching a link to a part of the community that might help you navigate a bit better. It just takes some practice and you will be buzzing around with no problem. Site News ~ Questions?. Welcome to Sphynxlair.

Charliespyhnx

Lairian
Thankyou hunny, I appreciate that, and I've also done all the loud noises while he's sleeping but nothing!! Xxx