Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

We Made It ! (Well, Kinda) (Long Post...Sorry!!!)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So the travel adventures of Cleopatra and Mr. Marcus Antonius Anubis are (almost) at an end. For those who haven't been following along, a quick recap. Daddieo (Bob) and I decided in September that I would retire from teaching in May (just 2 weeks ago!! Yay!!) and that we would move from the Las Vegas area back to the Midwest. So we did some house hunting, Bob and the Catz did a LOT of packing, and last Thursday, the odyssey began. Cleo and Marcus did extremely well while the moving truck swallowed ALL of their household, and actually loved our first hotel stop in Las Vegas that night. After that, things began to slip a bit.
The second night in Grand Junction, Colorado, we were in a room that was clean and almost comfortable enough, but the Catz were not happy about the 9-hour car ride to get there. I so wished that I could make them understand that this trip would be good for them.

Day 3 started well enough, and we sailed through the beautiful Rockies with Catz sleeping in the back. The hotel in Limon, Colorado, was quaint and nice enough, until BOTH the toilet and tub clogged up!! EWWWW! So we packed up for the last leg of the trip.

On the drive into Topeka, Kansas, the Catz were not too happy. They were fed up with driving and being squashed in the back of the car, but they still slept most of the way. We stayed at the hotel in Topeka for 3 nights. It was the worst of the hotels; the room was damp, reeking with tobacco smoke, and noisy, but at least they allowed the Catz. On the day before we were to take possession of the house, we found out that our belongings had not even left Las Vegas yet! So the next chapter began.

Yesterday, Wednesday, after 6 days of hotel living, we moved into our cute Craftsman bungalow. But our belongings were supposed to come today. So we took the Catz to the empty house, set them up in the mud room with litterbox, food and water and set out to get inflatable beds, towels and bed linens, kitchen supplies, and three lawn chairs to sit on. When we returned, Cleo was a bit stressed, but Marcus was in shock! He crawled into the fireplace, then behind Bob's briefcase on the mantel, then into his stroller, where he shivered for the entire day! He wouldn't eat or use the box. This lasted until this morning. Now he is still hiding a bit, but he is eating and looking around.

Hopefully tomorrow our stuff will catch up to us! And Marcus will feel better. Here's a picture of our scared baby, and Cleo making this house her home.
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The odyssey continued. So last night, Bob and I slept in the living room to keep Marcus company. He hadn't budged from the stroller for several hours, and I was getting worried. Around midnight, he announced his presence by yowling and walking all over us. Cleo, who was sleeping with me as usual, hissed at him and he settled down. Today he has been much better. Marcus explored the entire house, but he hid when we had a visitor. He did discover my sewing room upstairs, and has spent most of the afternoon at the top of the stairs, looking down at our activity below. This evening, he is wandering around. We are locking them in the bathroom when the movers come, and I hope that when he sees all of his familiar furniture and stuff, that he will settle in well.
IMG_2046.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I hope everything arrives and you and the your babies can get settled in to your new home. Hopefully once your belongings arrive and things feel more familiar they will both be less stressed and be back to ruling the castle again.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to your new home! Hope all your stuff arrives soon so you can all start to feel at home.
Poor Marcus being so afraid and worried in his new home. And ao brave of him to wander around now. Cleo is a true queen being so relaxed. A new castle for her!

Hugs for you all. Can imagine you're tired from travelling too. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for all of the good wishes everyone. Our stuff finally caught up with us today!!!! I am over the moon--I will sleep in my bed, I am sitting in MY chair, and I am wearing MY CLOTHING!!!!! It is amazing how much we take for granted until stuff becomes unavailable for even a few days. I missed being able to look at my entire wardrobe to choose clothing each day. But enough about me.

Cleo and Marky spent the first half of the day locked in the mudroom again. Marky had just gotten comfortable enough to start playing this morning when we had to lock him up and 7 people invaded his household! When he got out, he immediatly retreated to the sewing room until everybody left. But tonight, he is having a ball. He's climbing everywhere and getting into everything. It is nice to have him back.

Cleo was really happy this morning when she found a wolf spider crawling along the wall in the living room. It was almost as much fun as the scorpions we left behind in Las Vegas. She is also thrilled to be with all her stuff. She's sleeping on a box right now.

No more moves for us for a while. I will take a long time to recover from this one!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am SO glad to hear you all made it safe. I'm also glad that Marcus is doing better since all house stuff arrived. What a big transition. Wishing you all the beat with your new home.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Now that we've been here a whole week, here's an update. The Catz love the new house. Yesterday, we were all working on my upstairs sewing room, and Marcus got into the attic that is opened next to my room. It goes the length of the house, and Bob literally had to haul Marcus out, protesting all the way.
Cleo and Marcus have discovered the mudroom, which has windows on two sides, and 2 large cat posts. This morning, they were out there sleeping together in the taller post.
We have adjusted pretty well, but it still feels to me like I am living in a sea of boxes. Only a few small things got broken, but my huge sewing desk doesn't fit up the stairs. Yesterday, Bob and I went shopping and found a 1930s vanity base and a 1950s hand-painted, metal-topped kitchen table for the sewing room. So the Catz get to help us get them up the stairs and put together tomorrow. And the fun continues...

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It was great to read this whole thread up until this moment. Despite some stress, it sounds like all is well that ends well. CONGRATULATIONS to you and Bob, and of course I am delighted that Queen Cleo and Marky are settling in quite nicely now.

When you have time, I would love to see some photographs of your new home. I remember some time ago when you announce that you are going to be retiring. Happy retirement, by the way. So of course, as a result of your retirement, we expect more photographs :)

Again, so wonderful to read this thread. Lots of hugs all around.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So. We are working at getting this place together. Catz have decided that the mudroom, which is warm (okay, hot) and a bit steamy, is theirs. There are 2 posts out there, and they sit out there trying to figure out what those squirrel-things are.

I stayed retired for all of 2 weeks, and on Wednesday, I accepted a job at Topeka High School. So we will see what kind of time I will have starting in August. But the school is less than 5 minutes from home, and school times aren't as brutally early as they are in Las Vegas.

Hopefully, I will get pictures sometime next week. I'm still trying to get very heavy furniture into the proper rooms, and ttomorrow, we will have a washer and dryer for the first time in June!!! Never thought I would be so excited abut being able to do laundry again!