Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Weight management

Lilmustangchick

Lairian
I have a girl who is 1 year and 3 months old. We’ve been trying all we can to get her to she’s a few pounds. She only eats dry food. No human food and refuses wet food. Her eating is monitored.

She’s goes to the vet regularly and has been there because of her weight. We’ve tried different foods, even prescription food. She does play and we recently bought her a cat wheel. She’s does use it at times her sister loves it and runs quite a few times a day. As for treats we have bought her freezes dried chicken we have also dried chicken for her and the other girls we have.

I am at a loss and don’t know what more I can do.

Look at that belly she has. She’s even having trouble cleaning her private areas.

Attachments

• IMG_4907.MP4
    8.3 MB · Views: 8

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I can only hear her meows but don't see her. I know how hard it's to get your sphynx to lose some weight. Monitor her food, try to play with her is all you can do.

kelsheyyx

Lairian
I think you only posted audio, not video, but she sounds precious! Did your vet check her thyroid function? Usually they exhibit other symptoms in thst case, but it doesn't hurt to try. I have a bambino baby who's overweight too and we have the same issues. She has trouble cleaning herself and I monitor her food, she's super lazy too. Sometimes they are just chubby I think. Good luck!

Natalie Murphy

Lairian
My man too was totally over eating I weigh his food. I can not keep any food out for him My vet here in China was really concerned about his weight gain.He put on over 600g in 2months when I left food out for him.
So I started feeding him 20 g Go cat pellets in the morning and 15 g Stella Chewy Duck and Goose with a lot of water at night. He gets 5 extra Stella &Chewy to motivate him to use the wheel. It really helped
I found a spoon with a scale on so it was very easy to monitor his intake. He no longer sits at his bowl and appears to be happy with his feeding schedule.
I was very worried this was way to little food but he looks good and is an XLarge in clothing size and weighs 7pounds at 11months .
I weigh him weekly and he is maintains his weight. My vet is happy . So I am sticking to this program as it seems to work

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Natalie Murphy , great job mum! wow, like to see a pic of the spoon scale.
I wish I could get my others to use the wheel. Only Tobylove likes his stargate wheel .

Natalie Murphy

Lairian
30A76DDF-F069-4398-A89F-69234EAA44AC.jpeg
it comes with two different size spoons that are so easy to detach and wash. You can set it for grams or ounces

Natalie Murphy

Lairian
@Natalie Murphy , great job mum! wow, like to see a pic of the spoon scale.
I wish I could get my others to use the wheel. Only Tobylove likes his stargate wheel .
Best time to train them is when they are hungry and you give them treats. Get them to run up the wheel to try and get the treat out of your hand.
It may help if you do not leave titbits for them to eat the whole day. My man is a monster. I can not leave food out for him. He eats it all in one go.
Give them the treats very quickly they learn fast. My little man sees me heading for the front door and tries to keep me at home longer by running on his wheel so I stay home longer and give him a treat

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Natalie Murphy , thanks for the tips! awhh. so cute your baby tries to keep you home longer by running on his wheel. My Toby will run to his wheel when I tell him.. Toby Go Fast, go fast. he runs on it, stops, peeks at me to see if I am watching. I tell him again Go Fast Toby go fast and he runs faster. :). the other 3 look at him like, yeah, you go fast Toby, we will watch! lol.