Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Weird brown rash on my boys neck

Claudiajb

Lairian
Hi all

I am started to get really worried about Sid. Over the past few days he has developed this dark brown rash on his neck.
At first I thought it was probably built up oil from sweating and it has been so warm this year but he has now started scratching there and the top of his head excessively so it is red and looks sore
I have tried researching but can’t seem to find the reason. He has also started this weird noise that scared me to death that sounds like he is choking for 2 minutes but then he is fine.
We have had the win dows open a lot the past few days because it’s been 28 Celcius in the UK so I was thinking either heat rash or allergies. I am waiting to take him to the vet til lockdown is over but if someone recognises the symptoms and knows what it could be I’ll try an emergency appointment. I don’t want him to be in pain it’s so difficult when you don’t know what’s happening. I’ve put a picture of the neck rash For reference.
Thanks
claudia

Attachments

• DD077070-268F-4FD3-8ED4-5EB5970261BF.jpeg
    DD077070-268F-4FD3-8ED4-5EB5970261BF.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 71

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Does he scratch himself a lot? It looks like allergie that itches and makes him scratch.
It can be the sun. But also food allergies, detergent etc. Did you change something?

Claudiajb

Lairian
He has started to scratch himself a lot but just on that one spot. No change to food or detergent the only think I can think of is the windows being open/ the sun. Will keep them closed and see if it gets better. Would you put anything on the rash like coconut oil or leave it to sort itself?

Sheldon13

Staff member
I second the Vetrycin. But I also agree that he’s probably scratching due to allergies. It may just be because he’s allergic to something blowing into the house since you have the windows open. Maybe call your vet and ask if you can give some Chlorpheneramine. It’s a cheap over the counter allergy med.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with @Sheldon13 could be allergies to something outside. The rash is similar to what my allergic kitty gets when she has a flare up. She is on allergy serum injections as her allergies were horrible. She was also prescribed OTC zyrtec when her symptoms would get really bad. I would check with your vet on a recommended dosage.

Back