Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Weird dark patches on stomach, armpits and butt

suzfoote

Lairian
I didn't notice exactly when they came, or became exactly how they are.. but I was just today reading a thread about urticaria pigmentosa.. and a lot of the pictures look similar to what McNulty has. It's hard to get a good picture, but they are darker areas on his stomach, armpits and even a patch next to his butt, the skin seems rougher, and sometimes there are little red bumps (mostly armpits). Also, there were pictures in the thread of these big fly bite looking bumps, which now that I saw these pics, I realized he has had maybe about 3-4 of these in the past. He doesn't seem to be bothered by these, but I am wondering if I should be concerned! I just gave him a bath to get the best picture possible... and there's a couple others here just for your viewing pleasure :) McNulty in grey sweater, and Billie in pink!
nultys.jpg billie.jpg nulty.jpg 10175044_10152445425580661_4247157524304968009_n.jpg<< this last pic is about 2 months old where he had nothing on his tummy

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't notice exactly when they came, or became exactly how they are.. but I was just today reading a thread about urticaria pigmentosa.. and a lot of the pictures look similar to what McNulty has. It's hard to get a good picture, but they are darker areas on his stomach, armpits and even a patch next to his butt, the skin seems rougher, and sometimes there are little red bumps (mostly armpits). Also, there were pictures in the thread of these big fly bite looking bumps, which now that I saw these pics, I realized he has had maybe about 3-4 of these in the past. He doesn't seem to be bothered by these, but I am wondering if I should be concerned! I just gave him a bath to get the best picture possible... and there's a couple others here just for your viewing pleasure :) McNulty in grey sweater, and Billie in pink!
View attachment 52053 View attachment 52054 View attachment 52055 View attachment 52056<< this last pic is about 2 months old where he had nothing on his tummy
Does it smell? Yeast infections will smell badly. It appears to be just skin pigmentation, see here - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/what-are-these-marks-on-my-sphynxs-skin.25099/#post-319811

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree from the pics it looks like pigmentation. Does your baby lie on their side exposing there belly while sun bathing? We have had 2 dark babies in our lives and they seem to get the darker spots and patches. This past summer Azura had a very dark spot appear and then the sun shifted from her normal window spot and the spot faded completely away. It was on the side she usually had facing out our her favorite window.

Patti

suzfoote

Lairian
Nope no smell! I really hope it's only pigmentation. The only thing that was making me think otherwise though is the red bumps, and every so often the flybite looking things. He actually doesn't really sunbathe that much! We live in a basement apartment and there's only one window they can really get at, and they only jump up there occasionally .

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Their colouring does tend to change some as they age so I'd say it looks to me just like his pigmentations

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Keekee has gotten funny color on his tummy as he has gotten older too. Vet told me it was normal. His isnt bumpy or red though.
20141021_171205.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What kind of litter do you use? Not because of the pigmentation, but
because of the red bumps. World's best cat litter, is really bad to cause rashes
and yeast infections.

suzfoote

Lairian
Wow, really?? They have been using world's best for a few months now... I will try switching again if it is known for that. They were using arm and hammer essentials corn litter before, but it was very dusty and getting on everything. Now we've been using world's best multi cat, and it's really good for not tracking all over the place. We have a lot of dark furniture so no dust is very important!! Any suggestions guys?

Also, I talked to the breeder and she thinks it is a yeast infection too. She recommended zymox shampoo too.. anyone have experience with this brand?

suzfoote

Lairian
And actually... I lied unintentionally. Sometimes he smells a bit like McDonald's fries now that I think about it lol, it's not like crazy crazy bad but I can smell it when I get really close to him.... frig. Might be a yeast infection I think

Back