Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Weird question lol!!!!! Babies and cars

Traci Smith

Lairian
So I want to be able to have him ride in the car with ease and be “about”. When you brought home your 14-18 week baby, how long did you wait to start on car adventures. The last thing I want to do is give him anxiety since leaving his littler mates and being in our new home with new people is anxiety alone. I just wondered how long did you let them settle in before you were out and about together.

Also, question 2. Did you quarantine the newbie (only child) to the master bedroom and bathroom area to settle in for a few days. And when did you start to let them have the use of the whole home. Ours is one story about 3300 sqft.

Thanks guys!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bumping and following! I’m interested in people’s process as well.

I was planning on keeping kitty upstairs in our guest bedroom if/while I’m away so he’s safe and sound. However, I don’t want to leave him all alone up there all night! We (2 dogs, hubby and occasionally our 8 month old baby girl) all pile in our king size every night. I’d like kitty to join, but not sure that would work.

I could sleep in the guest room, but the dogs, and probably hubby and baby, would most likely just follow me up there. :ROFLMAO: I have been instructed by the breeder to keep him quarantined from other animals for 48 hours though.... let me know your plans as well! I need ideas!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ah... just saw yours is an only child. Completely different situations. :facepalm:

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I want to be able to have him ride in the car with ease and be “about”. When you brought home your 14-18 week baby, how long did you wait to start on car adventures. The last thing I want to do is give him anxiety since leaving his littler mates and being in our new home with new people is anxiety alone. I just wondered how long did you let them settle in before you were out and about together.

Also, question 2. Did you quarantine the newbie (only child) to the master bedroom and bathroom area to settle in for a few days. And when did you start to let them have the use of the whole home. Ours is one story about 3300 sqft.

Thanks guys!!!!

Cleo is our only pet. We picked her up and had an eight hour drive home. When we take her out she always travels in her carrier with a familiar toy and blanket. She loves to travel with us and the carrier prevents distracted driving.

We let Cleo have the run of the house when we brought her home with the exception of bedtime. At night Cleo is confined to our bedroom and bathroom. Now when we go to bed she follows us in and claims her spot in the middle of the bed.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
When my both boys came to live with me I let them wander around the whole house as long as I was home. If I had to leave then I locked them in the livingroom. When I saw they didn't get in trouble I let them wander around in the house when I was gone. I think that was after two weeks.

I never take them out, only when we go to the vet. For the rest they stay at home or play in my garden. So hope others chime in with advice on this one

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We do quarantine for a few days. We always have taken our kitten to the vet the day we brought them home, or the next morning for a wellness check. We kept them separated until we get the lab results saying the poop sample was clear. Then we slowly integrated them with a very watchful eye. We also locked them up separately for the first couple of weeks when we left just so they were safer and less stressed.

As far as car rides/outings other going to the vet, we wait at least 2 weeks until they have bonded and feel safe. It is a big new world and stress can bring on URI’s so we also use L-Lysine for all including the kitten coming in. Oh, and we wait 2 weeks to bathe them as well, just to keep,stress levels down and build trust with us.

We are expecting our kitten in a few weeks. We will do the same as usual, but this time, we plan on quarantining until poop sample comes back clear, then we are only going to introduce our other younger boy to the kitten for another week in hopes they will bond and become buddies. We are hoping they bond and leave the other 2 girls we have alone. Then a week later we will integrate all of them.

We just have to read how everyone is dealing with the transition. We can have a plan in place and it might not work, so being flexible and trusting your gut is always a big part of it.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I only ever brought home adults, but Pixie walked out of the carrier -- and that was that. She was home. No quarantine, nothing. She literally walked in, nosed around for a bit, plopped herself on the sofa (and rolled up in my cardigan) and that was that. She had claimed the place and moved in. No drama whatsoever, no hiding, no nothing.
However...
When I went to see her, she was all over me almost from the moment I walked in. The owner was completely floored, because Pixie didn't even act like that with them, and they'd had her from when she was a kitten. She's really not a cat who makes nice with every person who walks through the door.
Her being so determined to sit on me, and schmooze me, was the deciding factor why I got her. There had been a few people who'd come to look at her, but Pixie didn't take to them at all, and her owner wanted her to pick her own new person. She picked me. :)
Had there been other cats, it probably would have been different.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
P.S. As for car rides, I'd wait at least a few weeks, and then maybe make short trips. Get the baby used to a harness and leash first, so you can safely trundle about on it. :)
Pixie was riding in the cat carrier at first, but later was in a basket on the back seat, with a harness and a safety belt attached to it.
Don't let your cat roam the car, unless there is absolutely no way they can get to the pedals.
I'd not do it at all, simply because it is a major distraction, and you need to concentrate on the road -- not what your cat might be into.

Traci Smith

Lairian
Thanks guys!!! Lol seems like brainless questions but even when you think you have thought it all out then you start thinking of 1 million other ways the scenario can go....so forsure I was like ....better just start asking people what they do!!!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The only stupid question is the one you never ask, my teacher always used to say. :)
If you don't ask -- how can you learn?
If you ask -- it means you engaged your brain and asked "Why" or "How" -- and that's a sign of intelligence, not stupidity.
Therefore...there are no stupid questions. :)

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we first brought our little guy home it was the middle of a crazy snow storm!! We had to take him to the vet within a few days as per our contract, but even then on the first day he didn't seem to mind the car at all. He just snuggles into his blanket and chills. Even when I brought him home he was so content, just sat in his little bed on my lap, and enjoyed watching everything out the window. We tried not to take him out in the car while it was so cold out (I didn't want him to catch a cold) but he doesn't mind the car at all, just hangs out in our laps or looks out the window like a dog :D Now whenever we go out Yoda comes along often for a ride :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Traci Smith ,My Batman loves to sit in a dog car booster box seat buckled In with his harness

I personally do not recommend "out and about " for any pet traveling in a car

I tell you from my own experience - a miliion times nothing ever happened but it only took that one time !

I almost rolled my truck by my pet getting stuck in the steering wheel !

My aunt died in a car accident ran off the road flipped vehicle from her pet loose in a car .

not to mention floor boards by gas /brake pedal-
Also keeping an eye out where they are causes distractions -

Very very dangerous to be out and about in a vehicle

That one time scared the hel* out of me
It only takes a second for something to go seriously wrong

All travel for my crew now is in car is in booster with harness or in a crate
Seatbelted in

Just wanted to share not to alarm :)

I always quarantine new kitty to a safe room for a few days

Last edited:
Back