Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Weird rattling purr

Hey Guys!

So I’ve had my lovely Sphynx, Dexter, for about 10 months now. He’s been sick perennially, and has been treated for an ear infection twice, a URI, and has been given antibiotics for slight lung congestion.

Over the past two months, he’s developed this weird cagey sound when he purrs when he’s particularly excited. I’m going to get him seen at the vet this Friday (6/29), but I was wondering if you guys had heard anything like this.

Here is a link to a video that has the purr I'm describing: If the link doesn't work, let me know. Yes, that is Dexter. He isn't purring/breathing with his mouth open, and he's still plenty active and consumes lots of food and water. Other than his purr and the occasional reverse sneeze, he seems normal. But this sound is certainly concerning.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys!

So I’ve had my lovely Sphynx, Dexter, for about 10 months now. He’s been sick perennially, and has been treated for an ear infection twice, a URI, and has been given antibiotics for slight lung congestion.

Over the past two months, he’s developed this weird cagey sound when he purrs when he’s particularly excited. I’m going to get him seen at the vet this Friday (6/29), but I was wondering if you guys had heard anything like this.

Here is a link to a video that has the purr I'm describing: If the link doesn't work, let me know. Yes, that is Dexter. He isn't purring/breathing with his mouth open, and he's still plenty active and consumes lots of food and water. Other than his purr and the occasional reverse sneeze, he seems normal. But this sound is certainly concerning.
Our female sounds the same way at times and purrs with her mouth open periodically, a vet check wouldn't hurt I imagine. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@OddIsEven , welcoming you and Dexter to the lair family

Look forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales

Sending positive vibes for his vet visit on Friday

Please keep us updated

Mine purr loud -Batman really purrs like a little motor

Be sure to take the video to the vet appointment
As you well know they never "do it" when we take them for their actual appointments

Whenever I am there with them as a routine I ask them to please give a good listen to the heart for any murmurs

What Antibiotic was prescribed for his slight lung congestion ?
Was it the upper respiratory infection or seasonal allergy like my Toby had once with reverse sneezing the vet had me give him a Chlortab ?

I would video any reverse sneezing and show the vet too - I did thst with my boy
Amd the vet immediately said it was seasonal allergies amd no further testing was needed

My vet loves videos

Head smooches to Dexter
Glad you are vet checking him

I’ll let you guys know what happens tomorrow!

I don’t remember the antibiotic that was prescribed by the way, @Yoda mom . It wasn’t a seasonal thing though, when I got him he was sick, unfortunately.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@OddIsEven
Will be thinking of you amd Dexter tomorrow
Know Dexter has a lair full of healing vibes and head smooches from us
(((Hugs)) will be checking in for updates tomorrow

Remember to bring the the video with you to share with your vet

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Hope Dexter will be healthy soon. His purring sounds like purring of my boy Toa who is perfectly healthy. But always good to let a vet check it.