Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Welcoming our first sphynx

Bustamante01

Lairian
Hi everyone,

On September 1st, we are welcoming our first sphynx into our home.
Do you have any recommandations for food, cat tree.. etc.

If you have any suggestions for a male name, let me know. we are still searching.

Thank you,
Catherine
gremlin.jpg

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Bustamante01 hello and welcome. Your soon to be baby boy is beyond adorable. Don't worry yourself over a name. The right name will come to you, I assure you he won't remain nameless. :)

I can only recommend the food that I finally found that worked well for all of my sphynx cats, which is Science Diet Grain-Free canned and dry food. But you first need to feed him what your breeder is feeding him and if you want to or need to switch, that is a slow process.

This breed has a tendency to have stomach issues, so all new foods will need a slow introduction. What is your breeder feeding him now? If he's doing very well on it, I suggest you don't bother switching.

Always use L-Lysine daily. I use the powder purchased at my vet's office or the internet. It has a fishy taste/smell which invites the cats to want to eat it off their wet food.

Looking forward to seeing more pics and stories of your precious little boy.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Bustamante01 welcome to sphynxlair! What an adorable little boy you will get. He is very handsome with his extra dark nose.

What is the breeder feeding him? Best is to give your boy the first weeks the same food as your breeder is giving him. This makes the transition more easy.
Some people feed their sphynx dry and wet food. Some feed raw food. It's up to you to decide what feels best for you.
When you feed dry & wet you can best free feed with dry food and 2 times a day wet food. It depends on your boy and how sesintive his tummy is what the best brand is for him. Royal Canin is a good brand for dry and wet. But there are a lot more good brands. I feed grain free dry food cause my boys is allergic to grain.

When I got my boys I bought a handmade cat tree. It's big, made of trees and my trio loves it.

Most sphynxes love blankets, lots of blankets where the can lay under.
For toys you can buy Da Bird (a toy with feathers). Your boy will run like crazy to catch it. Catniptoys are loved by some, ignored by others. My girl is crazy about springs and a catnip fish. My boys couldn't care less.
All three love their cattunnel to chase eachother or to hide.

When you get new photos of your little one we would love to see.

Oh a member here called her dark girl "toothless" (after the dragon in the movie). I really love that name!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh congrats!! :) Your new boy is absolutely adorable! You will be counting the days for sure until September arrives.
There is a lot of information here on the lair! And there are lots of great cat tree, and toys for a good price on Amazon :)

Bustamante01

Lairian
the breeder is giving him kirkland ( her vet recommended this brand) i was used to nutrience/ royal canin w my himalayan ( gréai free) should i take kirkland for my lil boy?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Bustamante01 I'm not familiar with the brand Kirkland. If your boys does well on it I think it's best to give him this the first few weeks. Going to a new home is very exciting for a kitten. To make it more easy and to make the chance less that he gets tummy problems like diarhea it's best to give them the same brand the first weeks. After the first weeks you can transit to a new brand if you want.
Best is to change slow:
First week 3/4 old food, 1/4 new food
Second week 1/2 old food, 1/2 new food
Third week 3/4 new food, 1/4 old food
Fourth week: all new food.

But if you want to switch as he comes to live with you then that's also possible of course. Some cats don't have problems with going to a new home at all!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bustamante01 , welcome to the lair family! Your boy is absolutely adorable!
Looking forward to Gotcha day pics -
Great advice given
Is the Kirkland brand the food Costco sells as Kirkland?
Most gotcha time the food by breeder is continued amd then slow transition as mentioned
Bcz they have such Senstive tummies- and l-lysine given as a supplement 500 mg for gotcha time /stress to ward off Upper respiratory infections that is not uncommon with newly homee kitties - then continued'as maintnance 250mg mixed in wet food .

As for food - you will get lots of great suggestions - I am sure our Canadian members can chime in with great local suggestions or reasonable online options for food and supplies

Very excited for you!
As for names , be sure to write down the ones you think of in the middle of the night while you await gotcha day :)
You will have many - soe,times you find one when he is ho,e amd see what sticks :)
Love that face and ears! I have a Batman :)
If I ever had another male sphynx - I will name him Oscar lol bcz they are little piggies for food amd get into all kinds of messes! Kitty proof everyday for life :) they will eat everthing and all - dental floss , string , cat toys etc

Welcome ! Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch :)
Sphynx Cat Help Center

FAQ - "Frequently Asked Questions" about using the site.

Keep us updated often

Here are good links- ask away any questions

Pierre

Lairian
Welcome @Bustamante01 your baby is gorgeous! I bet you can't wait :) I really hope the next month goes fast for you.

As other members have said, find out what his breeder is feeding him and if it's working, why try fix it :) I'm finding out the hardway. Pierre is a rescue kitty, his foster mum relied on donations etc so his diet has never been 100% the same. I've chosen the food to go with but currently dealing with the upset tummy at the moment but I did expect that to happen. More experienced members will also suggest pumpkin for upset tummies which I'm going to get tomorrow.

My boy moved in yesterday I've got him a small cat tree but also ordered a large cat tree that was reduced online. He's not really played with his other toys.

Looking forward to your Gotcha day with you :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
the breeder is giving him kirkland ( her vet recommended this brand) i was used to nutrience/ royal canin w my himalayan ( gréai free) should i take kirkland for my lil boy?

@Bustamante01 the only Kirkland cat food is sold here in our Costco warehouses. If that is the same food, that is horrible. Many years ago we bought Kirkland Brand dry kibble at our Costco for our furry cats. They liked it, so we kept feeding it to them. One cat developed diabetes and another put on way, way too much weight. When I realized the dry food was the culprit, we switched to something else. Again, I have no idea if that's the Kirkland/Costco food you are referring to.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Bustamante01 and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! Please enjoy the community! :)