Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wellness CORE Dry Food - What's Changed?!?

lolvo

Lairian
Hey all,

Just curious... does anyone else here feed Wellness CORE Fish & Fowl dry food at all, and have you recently noticed any changes in how your sphynx handles it? I just bought a new bag of it yesterday, fed some to her this morning with her normal wet food, and now have spots of cat vomit all over my living room floor.

For the record: I've had Missy for a bit over a year now. She's been a very healthy sphynx with an iron stomach. I've been feeding her Friskies wet food (the pate type without all the starchy crap in it) twice a day with a bit of the Wellness CORE sprinkled on top since I got her, and never had any issues. I just opened the new bag of the Wellness dry food this morning (same type, same flavor, not expired or anything) and fed her the normal amount of it with her morning wet food. She started throwing it up, eating the vomit, and throwing it up again. Ick.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Wellness CORE Fish & Fowl dry food recently? I can't find any recalls or complaints right off the bat. Is it possible I just got a bad bag?

P.S. - Yes, I know I should be feeding my sphynx ground-up rabbits and live mice, but let's get real. I live in an apartment, have a job, and don't have the time/money to feed my cat tiny servings of lovingly-crafted, certified organic, holistically-grown raw meat sludge six times a day. Don't tell me I should. This is not that kind of thread.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I don't think you will find anyone here chastising you for the food you choose to give your baby. Many of us don't do raw. With our lifestyle we could not do it either. I know there are several other communities that push raw feeding as the only way you should feed your cat, but not here. You can write to the manufacturer and ask if there were any changes to the food. If not could she have by chance gotten into anything? I know with the holiday season there are many different things around the house and perhaps she ingested something? Does she vomit if you do not add the wellness core?

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh goodness, Patti's right, no one here will chastise you over not feeding raw. Even though I feed raw I know full well it's not for everyone for a whole bunch of reasons. Clearly you care about your Sphynx, and that's what matters most.

Vomiting can also be a sign of a blockage as well from eating something that shouldn't be eaten. So it's either food related (sudden onset allergy or something wrong with the food) or possibly a blockage.

If it gets worse, consider a vet visit.

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your way.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also, the fowl. Seems like many Sphynx become allergic to
any poultry. Getting more common than ever.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I would call wellness manufacturer and let them know your experience - look the bag over for any holes - I used a flashlight and magnifying glass and checked my Halo food after kitties vomited out of ordinary -
I found some fuzzy mold

(A few month ago I had a bad bag of another brand food -that never had a recall- halo - sensitive turkey - the company had a handful of complaints after mine and recalled that particular batch )

I feed dr Tim's Chase kibble - it's not grain free, formulate by a vet and no problems -
I don't feed Raw either :) - it's not a bad thing to use what works for your kitty and my man would boot me out if I cooked more for the cats than him Lol!

Feel better vibes sent! Keep us posted!

lolvo

Lairian
Update: Strangely enough, the vomiting has not continued. Missy is back to her bright-eyed, petulantly adorable, must-interfere-with-everything-I-do self. Perhaps she was just so excited for fresh kibble that she ate too fast?

Also, on a side note, the Wellness company is totally bad at answering questions. I emailed them asking if they'd changed the formula of their food, and got an email back telling me to call them during business hours - a call which never got answered.