Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Went outside to play...

susi794

Staff member
6 of my 8 cat kids went outside this afternoon--well actually 7--Pruney came out but then hung on the screen and ran back inside the first chance he got--aabout 30 seconds later. Mabel wanted to come out, but she chickened out at the last minute. Lulu and Boo really enjoyed it, Dulcinea was brave and went exploring, as did Othie Marie--then I let the rest out too--Moody stuck close to the door, Habibi looked around and went for a little stroll around the yard. Most of mine have never been free outside--it was kinda scary for my littlest guys, Pruney and Mabel. I could tell they really wanted to go out but when they'd hear even a tiny little noise, they would do an about face and run the other way. Poor little things--missing out on something really fun because they are too afraid--sounds like me when I was a kid. They all loved walking in the grass and the dirt. Chased bugs, sniffed the air, peed on the deck (LOL), got cobwebs and leaves stuck to our faces--oh, we had a grand time! I just hope I haven't created a monster and that they try to dart out the door now. Not sure how often I will do it, but they sure had fun today.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like fun Susie! This house doesn't have a cat proof fence but my last one did! They have to be on a harness here.

It does sound like fun! I wish mine had a cat proof fence where I could just go out with them and watch them free roam. I have to put Gable on a harness and he HATES his harness.

Sounds great for the kitties Susie. I wish my yard was cat proof to where Snuffie could run scott free and I not have to worry about her. Right now when I go outside I just put her on her harness and attach her to the tie down in the yard. I still find myself watching her every move but atleast she can walk around and check things out.

susi794

Staff member
Sounds great for the kitties Susie. I wish my yard was cat proof to where Snuffie could run scott free and I not have to worry about her. Right now when I go outside I just put her on her harness and attach her to the tie down in the yard. I still find myself watching her every move but atleast she can walk around and check things out.
My back yard is fenced in, but I didn't leave them for a second! I know by experience that nothing much is really cat proof and I would just die if something happened to one of my babies or if someone wandered away.

My back yard is fenced in, but I didn't leave them for a second! I know by experience that nothing much is really cat proof and I would just die if something happened to one of my babies or if someone wandered away.
No doubt. Im very protective of Snuffie. We moved into a house that needs a lot of work and the yard and landscaping is one of the items on our list. There was originally broken glass all over the backyard and no grass,,we finally have all the glass picked up along with trash and we have baby grass growing in. The yard has dips and uneven spots that I'm hoping to flatten out and have a deck built by end of this summer or fall hopefully. I may add the fense sooner depending on budgets. I'm just not sure how to do it and we have about a 15 to 20 ft drop off of our backyard down to a creekbed and I really hate to fence it off as the kids enjoy it on warm summer days. I'll have to add another fense door to the budget I guess.

It will all come in time. lol I cannot rush the improvements on this place. I'll be glad when its all done tho!!

susi794

Staff member
I totally understand--it seems like I always am working on some kind of a project--but money is tighter than usual these days, so not many projects lately--lots of dreams though! Would really like to have a sun porch for the cats to play in--would like to screen off my deck. One where I could just let them go out unsupervised for as long as they wanted to be there.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They all loved walking in the grass and the dirt. Chased bugs, sniffed the air, peed on the deck (LOL), got cobwebs and leaves stuck to our faces--oh, we had a grand time!
Peeing off the deck is a sure sign of summer. I'm glad most of you had a fun time exploring the outside.

J

Jinxlover

Sounds fun..I really want to start taking Blueberry out. Once you start taking them out do they run out the door every time it's open? That would be an issue..

no pictures?!? gah! sounds like they had fun, though. our fence is not at all secure, so my kids only get to go out on a leash. they love it, but i'd still love to be able to let them run and play a little bit more.

susi794

Staff member
Yes, this morning Lulu was half way out the door before I could stop her! So door darting is an issue. May not do this very often if that is the case.

I totally understand--it seems like I always am working on some kind of a project--but money is tighter than usual these days, so not many projects lately--lots of dreams though! Would really like to have a sun porch for the cats to play in--would like to screen off my deck. One where I could just let them go out unsupervised for as long as they wanted to be there.
Yes! My current front porch is great for screening in and I've been pitching that idea for a few weeks. So we will see. lol

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu started darting out the door and we have to be very careful now, especially with 3 kids who dont pay attention. We had to put a spray bottle of water by the door so we can try to make it unpleasant when he bolts for the door....

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It sounds like everyone in the gang had a wonderful time!

When I take Pedda out to play I put her harness and leash on then dump her inside a carrier. Then take the carrier out on the porch and let her out. That way she doesn't equate the great outdoors with darting out the door, and she hasn't tried sneaking out since her kitten training with a water bottle.