Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wet FIP

AshJoJo

Lairian
Hi everyone, we lost our little Laila bug to FIP three weeks ago. We miss her dearly and I've asked on a few other sites about the amount of time we should wait to bring a new baby into the house. It was wet FIP and we have cleaned up and thrown out all of the toys, litter box, food dishes and stuff like that. She brought us so much joy and while it will be different, I really want to have that feeling again How long do people usually wait ?

Thank you!
Ash

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone, we lost our little Laila bug to FIP three weeks ago. We miss her dearly and I've asked on a few other sites about the amount of time we should wait to bring a new baby into the house. It was wet FIP and we have cleaned up and thrown out all of the toys, litter box, food dishes and stuff like that. She brought us so much joy and while it will be different, I really want to have that feeling again How long do people usually wait ?

Thank you!
Ash
Hello,
Sorry to hear of your loss. The virus can live in the environment for several weeks, especially in ideal conditions, normal exposure to air and sunlight will usually kill coronaviruses within a few weeks. With that being said, the virus can survive longer within used litter or old dried feces, hence the need for SUPER cleaning. If it was me, I would throw EVERYTHING away that was used by your other cat and start fresh. Toys, clothing, scratching posts, litter boxes, water/ food bowels - etc. The virus is easily killed by common disinfectants or just use 1:32 dilution of household bleach and scrub everything the cat had been exposed to, bathtubs, sinks and be sure to wash all bedding - etc. Vacuum all furniture and carpet. Personally I would wait a few months to be safe after doing everything Listed above. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member

Thank you!
Ash
As said in the other post, I'm so sorry for the loss of Laila!
Last year the vet tought one of my boys had FIP (but it turned out he didn't have it, still so thankful). She explained to me that FIP itself isn't contagious. FIP developes out of the Coronavirus and the Coronavirus is contagious. About 70-80% of all cats (also indoor cats) do have the Coronavirus. About 5-10% of the cats with the Coronavirus developes FIP. They still don't know what the reason is that some cats develope fip and most others not. They see that it has something to do with genetics (they notice that if one cat from a litter gets fip most of the time more of that litter will get it too) and that stress (moving to a new home) has something to do with it.

The coronavirus is contagious by poop and direct contact. So it's important to clean all the blankets and areas Laila has been. The vet told me the virus get "killed" by washing the blanket in 60 celsius or higher. Best is to replace the catlitterbox cause it's difficult to clean that good enough.
Make sure you also clean the cattree very well. A lot of cats drag a little poop under their feet to other places, specially the cattree, blankets and the catbed.

If you cleaned everything your house is ready for a new cat:). If you don't clean it, the vet told me the coronavirus gets killed in two months.
And it's good to remember: if your sphynx gets the coronavirus (of most cats will get it), it doesn't mean it will get fip!!

Hope you'll find a new sphynx soon and you can enjoy all the joy a sphynx brings in your home!