Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wet or Dry or both

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Scrotie is 10 months old now and has only consumed dry food thus far, Felidae to be exact. Should I be giving him wet food or both? I have heard a lot of different things on this topic.

gizmo6370

Banned
Whatever you like....my cats eat dry food....every now and then i give them wet food....and only two of them eat raw meat :Wink:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I keep dry kibble in the bowl all the time, and feed 5e wet in the evenings, or when I need to get medicine in him.

I watch his weight, and should he have issues, then I'll have to make adjustments.

I like doing it this way for a number of reasons:
--I've heard that cats frequently have dehydration issues so wet food helps that
--It makes getting medicine into the little monster quite easy:Wink:
--Since I feed him at the same time I have dinner, it keeps him from investigating/begging/trying to steal my dinner (5e's dad(me) has some food aggression issues).

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed kibble, but on occasion I will feed Stella wet. Usually the day I decide to feed her the wet, I will feed her a portion in the morning and continue with that can for the next three mornings (how long it stays fresh). Then it's a portion of kibbles in the evening.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great question- I feed Sophie both but you'd swear she's starved the way she asks for food all morning and night. I don't know if what I'm doing is bad but I give her small portions of wet and dry in the morning and again at night. She ate too much dry food when I had free fed her. Now she's a good size again. I don't know if her eating dry food after wet food is bad for her digestion or not. I thought I read on here that the dry and wet food digest at different rates so I may not be doing the best thing? I'm confused on this subject too! :Dizzy:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feed Lemmy dry free fed and wet in small portions in the AM and PM. I just have read a lot of things that say it is better for them to eat a little wet to keep them hydrated.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed Harry both. He has dry always available and I give him wet in the morning and evening. He's a good weight and doesn't gorge on his dry food so I'm going to keep this pattern. Can't free feed our pug, however. He is a little pig. I even have to feed Harry on a chair so Romeo won't get at his food.

hfwebb

Lairian
Bert and Ernie get dry food all day. I have to use a dental variety because when we adopted Bert his teeth were rotten. The vet said this may have been from not feeding him any dry food. They share a can as a treat about every other day.

I leave large glasses of water around the house for water. I fill up their water bowl but they ignore this and always go for the glasses.

Baron gets everything under the sun. Dry, wet, raw(ground, bone-in, chunk, organs). That boy has an iron stomach unless you give him Science Diet canned. Makes him have green poo. But SD is junk anyway, so that explains it ;)

We feed Ger and Mink wet in the morning (The PetSmart brand is ok as long as you go for the chicken indoor cat flavor, look for no fillers like cellulose or grains) and kibble all day (we use A Taste of the Wild, a holistic cat dry cat food). Although, Ger weighs a solid 19 pounds, I am wainting for his next vet's appointment to see inf we should feed him wet every other day instead of every day. He is 14 months.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet has dry food available to her all day and she eats a little wet food (or cat milk) in the evenings. She's been maintaining her weight at 8 lbs, so I think she's doing okay nutritionally.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My mom is an ex veterinary technician and says it is important to give wet food every day because it is good for the kidneys. As cats get older they become chronically dehydrated and begin to have kidney problems which is a big cause of death in cats after about 8 yrs of age. I get dry left out all day, because I am not fat.....and a half a can of wet food at night....and I drink out of everything my face fits in!

HarpieAngel

Lairian
I am not really sure where this post is supposed to go and have trouble figuring out how to create a new one alltogether, but anyway: I am feeding my darling Royal Canin dry food and either purina wet food or mince. When we got him, he loved the beef mince as well as chicken, but just pulls up his nose for it now and eats a lot of dry food. I am a bit worried about this as a vet I know said it could lead to kidney issues and I should try to keep him on mince. On the other hand another vet told me dry food is the staple nutrition for sphynx's and if they eat that, wet food I don't need to worry about too much. It is sooo contridictory, what shall I do? At the moment I offer both and somedays I'm lucky and he eats both, other days just dry. Any wise words?

elleinad8050

Lairian
I put close to 1 cup of dry out each day and in the evenings feed a third of a can of wet. For dry I feed Blue Buffalo but for wet it is Science Diet.
Hipo loves wet, but also I heard it is important for dental reasons and hydration. He is a stable 8lbs and rarely eats all the dry. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if he holds out for the evening knowing I am going to give him wet. :Wink::BigSmile:

...also of course this is just his meals, not including all the food I eat that he also occasionally consumes :LOL::LOL: some favorites including: cereal, mac and cheese, ckn etc...

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello all! I used to free feed kibble and feed canned food every night. My vet told me that the cats do not NEED the canned/pouch food as long as they are taking in enough water. Since all my cats drink a lot of water, I have eliminated the canned food, which has saved on money as welll as eliminating any loose poops for the cats. They all seem to be thriving.

Back