Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What are these marks on my Sphynx's skin??

MaryMary

Lairian
My spyhnx has developed dark marks on his belly. He's a black sphynx anyway but these are very black spots. They have literally shown up in the last 2 weeks and continued to spread in a horizontal line across his abdomen. I've read numerous threads on here about similar marks on the skin but I do not believe any of those suggestions apply to Boo.
At first I thought it was a build up of oil so he got 2 extra baths with exfoliating gloves. Apart from him wishing he could claw my eyes out, it did nothing. He's not a very oily sphynx as it is. (We have white sheets on the bed and he never leaves stains on these.) I also read of a members cat getting little burns from a cable box. Boo doesn't sit on anything remotely warm enough for that. He has a little microwave heat pad but it's never burning, sometimes it's barely even hot.
I also read of members saying the spots were from the sun when their sphynx was sunbathing at the window. That is definitely not the case here, it's minus 5 degrees Celsius!!! We don't even see sun in our very limited "summer". Boo has never ever seen the sun.
I had a vet say they were liver spots, which I laughed at...he's 6 months old, not 10 years!! Iv never heard of a kitten getting liver spots nor have I ever seen them on a young sphynx.
The marks are not raised, and do not seem to affect him in any way at all, I just want to know what they are. I'm very curious as to how they showed up so quickly and have spread so fast.
Nothing in the last two weeks has changed at all, not his diet, his bathing routine, his environment, not a thing.

Here's hoping you lovely lair ladies will hold the answer!!
View attachment 18465
View attachment 18466

Susanhughes

Lairian
image.png
Strange. I wish I could help. I've only had my Sphynx for ages months and I don't know much about them. My cat doesn't seem to be bothered by his markings either. His markings come and go. The Vet took pics and is looking into it. Yesterday it was very prominent and not so much today. My markings are like swirls.

kitten

Lairian
My spyhnx has developed dark marks on his belly. He's a black sphynx anyway but these are very black spots. They have literally shown up in the last 2 weeks and continued to spread in a horizontal line across his abdomen. I've read numerous threads on here about similar marks on the skin but I do not believe any of those suggestions apply to Boo.
At first I thought it was a build up of oil so he got 2 extra baths with exfoliating gloves. Apart from him wishing he could claw my eyes out, it did nothing. He's not a very oily sphynx as it is. (We have white sheets on the bed and he never leaves stains on these.) I also read of a members cat getting little burns from a cable box. Boo doesn't sit on anything remotely warm enough for that. He has a little microwave heat pad but it's never burning, sometimes it's barely even hot.
I also read of members saying the spots were from the sun when their sphynx was sunbathing at the window. That is definitely not the case here, it's minus 5 degrees Celsius!!! We don't even see sun in our very limited "summer". Boo has never ever seen the sun.
I had a vet say they were liver spots, which I laughed at...he's 6 months old, not 10 years!! Iv never heard of a kitten getting liver spots nor have I ever seen them on a young sphynx.
The marks are not raised, and do not seem to affect him in any way at all, I just want to know what they are. I'm very curious as to how they showed up so quickly and have spread so fast.
Nothing in the last two weeks has changed at all, not his diet, his bathing routine, his environment, not a thing.

Here's hoping you lovely lair ladies will hold the answer!!
View attachment 18465
View attachment 18466
Check malassezia yeast treatment. -oral

suzfoote

Lairian
My boy has something similar to this and it turned out to be some sort of fungal infection. I got him a shampoo called zymox?? It was a mediated shampoo and it cleared up his belly within a week or so! It would be worth a try

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Susanhughes

Lairian
It's not fungal and it's not bacterial. Tested by the Vet. I had thought that already since only a few others have had this and nothing comes up positive. The Vet says next is allergy testing.
I've read that it's hormonal.
I've been giving him a good dose of Omega's and it seems better. Not certain that the Omega's made it better though.

bmnicho

Lairian
Late to the game, but wanted to shared. About a month after rescue & few weeks after spay, Reena went from a cream color to covered in black spots in a matter of days. They didn't phase her at all but the texture of the skin did seem to be a bit drier . After punch biopsies for mast cell and other immune disease (negative) and blood work (a-ok), we were ultimately able to dx malesseziza by rubbing her with a brush and sending that to the lab. Malaseb worked and she's back to cream. Best guess is that the stress of rescue and surgery, and possibly the giardia treatment, put her body into a stressed state and let the dermal infection run away.
Malassezia Dermatitis in Dogs and Cats - Veterinary Medicine at Illinois View attachment 95407
IMG_4100.jpg