Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What color am I?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All this talk of colors has made me wonder, what color is Freya (officially) I call her pink and gray, lol. She does have some tabby marks over her eye. The vet asked me what color she was called, and mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I didn't know:Dizzy:
So what do you guys think?

J

Jinxlover

I have no clue on color, my best GUESS would be VAN..???? Maybe?

holly_savage

Banned
this is what I found as to the actual description on

"Van – mostly white with patches of color on the head and tail"
And in the case of Sphynx, pink=white (usually)

I have also heard 'Harlequin' as a color/pattern, nott 100% sure, but I think that is when there are more spots (other than head and tail) on the body.

There are many sites available that breakdown the coat color/patterns and many good books available too!

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am going with van calico.

van calico is a white cat with patches that are not brindle on head and legs with only one or 2 spots on the body. spots are usually red and black.

calico spots cover more of the body, like my Athena.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had no idea that Freya was such a conundrum! lol

Shauntay

Banned
Gizmo is 100% correct :) Calico would have distinct patches of red and black

also, a few small spots of color is acceptable on a van as per the CFA, harlequin would have many more patches of color on the white

J

Jinxlover

Don't I see ...white,black and red on her face??? Or no? :Dizzy:
I'm just trying to get the colors down..
Boy, dog colors are a LOT easier..

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Van doesn't sound very exotic though does it? lol Maybe we should rename it~ Rocky Road. or Pistachio!!
Thanks to you all for your help!

sphynxlover

Lairian
Van is considered a "pattern". So, you not only need to figure out the pattern, but also the color. If she only has one or two small patches of color on her body, she is a van. Now if she is white, black and red, she's a van calico. If she's white, blue & cream, she's a dilute van calico and if she's tabby & white (with no red or cream) or just black & white (with no red or cream) she's considered a van bi-color.