Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What did you have to kitty proof in your home that you didn't except to have to?

What did you have to kitty proof in your home that you didn't except to have to?

• Cabinets

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Stove

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Washer/Dryer

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Front/back door

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Plants

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Blinds/curtain cords

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Fireplace

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Garbage cans

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had to buy childproof knob covers for the stove because someone kept turning the gas on.

Attachments

• F6C03F2B-ACBC-4F37-AD3C-1E52B0AE8B66.png
    F6C03F2B-ACBC-4F37-AD3C-1E52B0AE8B66.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 75

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
After Mr Marcus A. A. pulled down and shattered 2 cereal bowls that cost $80.00 each to replace, the upper cabinets were childproofed. Try explaining that to potential home buyers!
Cleo broke a ceramic collectable jewelry box that has been irreplaceable, and ate 32 inches of yarn. How do I know how long the yarn was? The vet measured it during the $4200.00 surgery (sigh).

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
After Mr Marcus A. A. pulled down and shattered 2 cereal bowls that cost $80.00 each to replace, the upper cabinets were childproofed. Try explaining that to potential home buyers!
Cleo broke a ceramic collectable jewelry box that has been irreplaceable, and ate 32 inches of yarn. How do I know how long the yarn was? The vet measured it during the $4200.00 surgery (sigh).

Your babies have certainly trained you and Bob over the years. Hope you guys are doing well...stay safe.

Pixel

Lairian
Pixel steals earplugs out my ears during the night and then eats them! At first I thought they fell out and he found them, knocked them under the bed etc. Then I found a half ate one and then a few days later some bright orange poop! Thankfully nothing got stuck there. I now no longer wear earplugs and live on very little sleep. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Pixel steals earplugs out my ears during the night and then eats them! At first I thought they fell out and he found them, knocked them under the bed etc. Then I found a half ate one and then a few days later some bright orange poop! Thankfully nothing got stuck there. I now no longer wear earplugs and live on very little sleep. Lol.

Aww bless your heart! You can’t wear a different kind? Or try a white noise app?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah windows, as I recently moved and Binky can get out of them in this house. Also house plants, I can’t have any due to her allergies!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are million little things you learn to kitty proof through the years. Every one is an individual and comes up with new things. Keeps me on my toes and int's never boring in my house! I do have a problem with windows. We net and renet every year. The cats climb and tear it to pieces, I'm so fed up with it. Anyone got any great advice to share?

Sheldon13

Staff member
There are million little things you learn to kitty proof through the years. Every one is an individual and comes up with new things. Keeps me on my toes and int's never boring in my house! I do have a problem with windows. We net and renet every year. The cats climb and tear it to pieces, I'm so fed up with it. Anyone got any great advice to share?

By net do you mean window screens?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Nope, no screens. I bought strong insect net and stapled it in the window. Not the best solution...

I’m just wondering if something more like hardware cloth is feasible.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Zab they make screens that are stronger to keep cats in and wildlife out. They are harder to look through because the wire is thicker but I've heard they really do work.

@Toa and Ross yeah that window looks like an accident waiting to happen. I can't figure out why they couldn't get the cat from inside though.

FendiSphynx

Lairian
I had to move my dogs food bowl in the living room where I am most of the time be because Toby loves her food, and vise-versa!

Omg I have to feed my dog and kitten at the same time in different rooms. Otherwise the kitten just stares at my dog eating and tries to snatch his food. And when he’s all done I have to cover whatever is left. I woke up one night around 3-4 am and found the kitten downstairs stealing the dog’s food while he had a full bowl of his own!

Nins KittyMommy

Lairian
Omg I have to feed my dog and kitten at the same time in different rooms. Otherwise the kitten just stares at my dog eating and tries to snatch his food. And when he’s all done I have to cover whatever is left. I woke up one night around 3-4 am and found the kitten downstairs stealing the dog’s food while he had a full bowl of his own!

Their interactions are just so genuine I love it, but they're crazy together. I have my cat's litter and food in a separate room with a baby gate so he can jump, but my dog can't. I put my dog's food in the living room where I mostly sit so I can keep an eye on who is eating my dog's food!

FendiSphynx

Lairian
Their interactions are just so genuine I love it, but they're crazy together. I have my cat's litter and food in a separate room with a baby gate so he can jump, but my dog can't. I put my dog's food in the living room where I mostly sit so I can keep an eye on who is eating my dog's food!

Lol I bet!! My dog is 5yrs while my kit is 5months. So my kitten just follows him around everywhere and tries to race him when going upstairs. I see the baby gate works to keep the dog out, I need a method to keep the cat out

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Plastic grocery bags and plastic produce bags!!! They have to be emptied right away and put away otherwise she will eat them!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Kitty proofed the entire universe. Always it’s like having newborn humans that can swallow, climb, chew, jump etc themselves anywhere at anytime. You have to be on your toes constantly.

No choking hazards
Cover hot plates
A wall switch to turn oven and stove off from mains
Doors pinned back or closed
Electrical cables covered in conduit
No knife blocks
Clean benches and sinks no food residue or cutlery
Security screens doors and windows
Tie up blinds
Remove beads on verticals and cords
No jewelery or hair ties or coins out
Secure Knick knacks so they will not fall and hurt themselves

ETTTTTTCCC

Tamson

Lairian

Back