Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What do I do?!

SylvrTitoijava

Lairian
Ok, here's the situation...
I have three cats, one with claws, one with back claws and my sphynx with no claws at all. They are all rescues.
My sphynx Magia, is the newest rescue in our family. I got her the end of July.
All of them have been getting along, Sulu (the clawed one) and Magia have even been caught sleeping and playing together.
Here's the problem, Magia has in the last week or so become covered in light scratches from Sulu. He just keeps cornering her!
I clip his nails all the time, I'm not even sure how he's cutting her.
What do I do to stop this?
I've had cats my whole life, I've never had this happen before.
Sulu needs to stop hurting Magia. Should I reseperate them? I DO NOT believe in de-clawing so that's not an option.
What do I do to stop this?:Cry:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry try hear this :ThumbsDown: If the scratches are light and not doing any damage you can let it go they should adjust soon but being that only one cat has front claws it may be hard. I would start by clipping his nails once a week in hopes that they will not scratch as bad. Then maybe keep them apart when you are not home and keep a close eye on them when you are home, if you see Sulu beating up pn her let him know this is wrong and seperate him for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with ilovemysphynx. If the scratches are more than light ones, you can try weekly nail trimmings. I have a friend who smoothes down the edges with an emory board but that is no easy feat. I have no experience with the nail caps but some here have been very sucessful with them. I hope things improve soon. Good luck.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I would try the emery board. My hairy cats, if I played with them with the emergy boards they would grab them with their little kitty fingers and I'd pull back and it would file them down...its a long process that way but it works for a anxious kitty. Goodluck!

fezmarie73

Lairian
Soft Claws! Nail caps for cats. They are rather expensive, but they'll keep the scratches to a minimum. It may be that this is just prey play, but your sphynx has gentle skin.

Soft Claws last for about 1 month, and they are around $20 a package. They're available for adult cats and kittens.

Good Luck!

Heather

Back