Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What do YOU expect from a breeder?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay, so I know what I expect out of people, so I'm asking- what do you expect out of a breeder?

Besides the basics- healthy cats- what else do you expect? What do you want your kittens to come with? At what age do you want them to go home?

I'm just curious. I always wonder what people WANT. Like I microchip my kittens myself, but I'm not sure if people consider that a plus, a negative, or a 'yeah, whatever'. I'm also going to include a little goody bag with a kitty outfit from one of the talented ladies on this site this time around- I don't know if people actually realize the thought that goes into it or if it doesn't register with them.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I expect complete upfront honesty. Even if a breeder has a litter of sick kittens at first and nurses them back to health, then I think they should make their buyer aware of it. In some cases it may deter someone from buying but I think it helps educate people as well. Snuffie was very ill as a kitten and there were days my breeder didn't think she would make it. I'm aware of it and what was done and how she contracted it and it educated me on her history and what to watch for so now I know. I also expect a deposit by me to made within a timely manner to reserve my kitten. If it doesn't work out with that kitten for illness reasons or death then I expect to have the choice of another unreserved kitten from the same litter or following litter. I expect photos of their growth before they get to come to me. Phone calls made by either party on how things are going with the litter and what not and when appts are so I can sit and worry all day about my baby. lol
I expect to be able to come and visit the litter a few times if possible to play with my kitty and litter mates, scheduled of course because who lives 3 blocks from their breeder right!?! lol
I expect TICA and or CFA papers for my kitty, full medical history from the vets office, rights to call vets office for reference or further history or questions if needed, references from previous buyers if wanted.

I think its smart as a breeder to send a kitten starter pack. Its really optional to the breeder if they do but I think it shows they really care and want nothing but the best for their babies. When I received Snuffie she not only got a starter pack but my breeder sent her home with her favorite blanket (yes it was clean), a few toys and all her paperwork. She was even going to give me a carrier but I already had my own that I brought so I told her to save it since I had plenty. And lets face it, they are not exactly cheap now a days. Sending your kitties home in little outfits is an absolutley wonderful idea BirthdaySuit!!!!:ThumbsUp:
God forbid but if something were to happen where I couldn't keep Snuffie I would also expect her to take Snuffie back or help me rehome her. I know mine would has she has offered to buy her back once or twice cuz she is so dern cute! lol

I don't think its always ideal but if you can maintain contact with your breeder and send them photos of their babies I think thats great. Personally I've developed a wonderful relationship with my breeder and we exchange photos often and have become great friends. I'm very glad to be able to have this relationship with her.
This is all I can think of at the moment and I may be forgetting a few things but I think I've covered the basics atleast.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was going to ask that too- do most people LIKE breeders who want to stay in contact/keep updated or does the general public wish breeders would sell their cats and then disappear? I'm NOT into disappearing- hahaha- I email everyone about twice a year to say hi and ask for updates if I haven't heard from them.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I like to keep in contact. Just from talking to my breeder tho she has had a few buyers dissapear and hasn't heard from them. It really weighs on her and she worries about the kitties and if they are okay and what not. I even keep in contact with rescues that I've assisted with just to make sure everything has worked out well and how the kitties are getting along in life. To me its just the right thing to do.

Bella07

Banned
I have never gotten a purebred kitten from a breeder before, but here is what I'd want, when the time does come!

Some of the "boring stuff"
I would want my kitten to be seen by the vet a few times, for my assurance.
I'd want a copy of parents pedigree, health certificates, etc.
Registration Papers
A blanket from the breeders house, so that it is easier for my kitten to adjust
References from other kitten owners
Health Gurantee-
Grooming Tips/Techniques that works well for your cats

Some of the "fun stuff"
-Well, from the moment I put a deposit on a kitten, I'd want weekly photos and videos so I can watch my new baby grow up, so I could feel as if I were there!

---> This may be reaching it a bit, but I'd ask for a family portrait of my kitten, with her littermates, and the sire and dam in the same photo. (See, crazy, but I would LOVE it and cherish it forever!)

-I think an outifit in the bag is a great idea! I would really appreciate it, that way, I could start dressing her up right away :Wink:

If I put a deposit on a kitten, I'd be very excited, and would probably burn a hole in my credit card from buying so many cat accessories. So, I don't think I'd expect you to buy any toys or crate for my goody bag, but maybe one favorite toy would be nice.

-For you to call or email me, and tell me stories about my kitten and how purrrfect she is!
-Oh, and I have always loved this idea. I'td take some time, but put a DVD together with a slideshow of the birth of the kitten up until she leaves your home. That way, you can really enjoy her first moments of life!

Hmm....that is all that I can think of for the moment. See, you can tell that I really just want to hear and see how much you love my new kitten, and how fabulous she is! I'd want to be comfortable with you as a breeder, and be able to call you if I have any questions or concerns. Good Luck!

Bella07

Banned
I was going to ask that too- do most people LIKE breeders who want to stay in contact/keep updated or does the general public wish breeders would sell their cats and then disappear? I'm NOT into disappearing- hahaha- I email everyone about twice a year to say hi and ask for updates if I haven't heard from them.

Oh, I would LOVE it if you contacted me. Then it would show that you really care about your cats, and aren't just concerned about the $$$ you get upfront. I'd be happy to email you every week! :LOL:

**And I would consider microchipping a big plus, and the option to have the cat fixed before she comes home a great idea too. I would want the kitten to come home as young as possible, but, I know that Sphynx develop slowly, so there are reasons that they must wait longer.

Last edited:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I like the family photo idea. I do wish I had one of those. BUT, I have all of her litter mates photos and mom and pop so I could always make a collage...hmmmm I might do that tomorrow! lol

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I always intend to send a disc with photos to the new homes and always, always forget! It's something that would be so easy for me to do- man, I'm lazy! LOL!

The blanket idea is a good idea though- and really easy- could buy a few yards of fleece, use them with the babies in their room and then cut it up and make little mini blankies :)

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree 100 percent with Bella!

As for the health gaurantee, I would like 4 or 5 days to have a vet exam, I have heard that some breeders have a 24-48 hr policy and I just think that is too soon to evaluate an already stressed baby.

I think the shirt idea in your care package is great! little things like that mean a lot.

Bella, I totally understand the family portrait thing. I asked Shannon for pics of Gummi's dad, and I have pics of her mom and sibs too. I don't know why exactly, I just like to see her "birth family":Laugh:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The blanket idea is a good idea though- and really easy- could buy a few yards of fleece, use them with the babies in their room and then cut it up and make little mini blankies :)

Shannon sent one of Blueberry's blankets in the crate with Gummi, and it is Gummi's favorite thing!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So far good points. I would want to see the HCM scans from the breeder. I find a breeder who contacts me a ton about their cat to be almost annoying. Maybe I am the odd one out on that but Juno's breeder calls me like every week and its getting old.

Honesty is the number one thing. I would prefer the animal to already be altered if I am going to be spending that amount of money.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My breeder calls me every two weeks or so. If not that often I'll usually atleast get a email. The times she has called and it was bad timing, I just ask her if I can call her back and I call her later on when I'm not so busy. She doesn't mind at all. Breeders aren't mind readers and they are human and lives too, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you asked her if you could call her back at a later time.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My breeder calls me every two weeks or so. If not that often I'll usually atleast get a email. The times she has called and it was bad timing, I just ask her if I can call her back and I call her later on when I'm not so busy. She doesn't mind at all. Breeders aren't mind readers and they are human and lives too, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you asked her if you could call her back at a later time.

I think that would be too often for me personally, How about a web group for kitten owners to post updates on? That would be cool to see the sibs of your baby as they grow up too, and see if you have similar issues.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mostly I HATE talking on the phone. If she sent me an email or even text I would be ok. I just hate the phone its like a phobia LOL. I have told her that but she doesn't have a computer or cell phone so I am out of luck.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yea, the phone isn't for everyone. I don't mind it really cuz I never talk on the phone. Everyone text me and thats fine but my breeder doesn't know how to text and honestly I need something to use my minutes on!! lol

I'm a rare case really, again, Im ended up being friends with my breeder so of course we talk about more than just the cats, everyone is different,,its just how it worked out I guess.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, I would LOVE it if you contacted me. Then it would show that you really care about your cats, and aren't just concerned about the $$$ you get upfront. I'd be happy to email you every week! :LOL:

See, I hate contacting people as I don't want to be a nuisance, but I LOVE getting updates.

Microchipping, I think is a personal choice, I don't like them but that's because I'm a worrier, and I worry about it migrating or causing cancer. Probably completely unfounded but its one of my paranoia's.

I hate talking on the phone to strangers:Dizzy:, but its definitely reassuring talking to a human so that you can get a feel for the person.

The main thing is knowing the person truly loves their cats and its not all about the $$$. I want to know that the cats health comes before their wallets and that if there has been any issues they will let me know, rather than downplay it as "no big deal, its just sniffles, they are fine" etc.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I prefer email- I hate the phone. I think it's because- an email, you can walk away from. An email, you can think about things and respond a little bit later. Phones are so IMMEDIATE- and in my home, chances are, things are hectic and it stresses me out being on the phone (kids in the background mostly).

I will say- for those of you who get contacted a lot by your breeder- it's probably just the initial phase of babies going home. I prefer weekly updates when they first go home and then it goes to monthly and then usually every few months.

I want... honesty from my breeder. I want papers in a timely fashion and if not, I want to know my breeder is ON IT as far as getting me papers. I want feedback- if I have an issue, I want to be able to bounce my problem off of the breeder I got the cat from. I TOTALLY don't care for "I have never seen THAT here"- I think that's a bogus response most breeders use for typical problems (diarrhea, colds, etc- maybe you haven't seen it in THAT kitten, but chances are- you've dealt with it here and there while raising cats).

I want a breeder to show interest in their cats- even just to the point of when I send pictures, a quick email back saying, "Oh, they look so nice!" I don't expect a ton of hand holding, but I expect interest in their animals and their animals welfare.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I prefer email- I hate the phone. I think it's because- an email, you can walk away from. An email, you can think about things and respond a little bit later. Phones are so IMMEDIATE- and in my home, chances are, things are hectic and it stresses me out being on the phone (kids in the background mostly).

Also with emails, you have it there in writing. Things can be said or forgotten in a phone call, with email, its there in black and white.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I prefer breeders that stay in contact and you can talk to if something is wrong.
Wrinkles breeder emails pictures of her new litters when they are born sometimes and has one of Wrinkles show pictures on her gallery page.
I can come to her with any questions about Wrinkles.
She tried to send me meds when Wrinkles paw was so huge after she was altered.
In fact I would have met her at a show in a few weeks if she did not have kittens due then.
She does not show though but I am going to teach her in case she wants to show in the future.
I know where Cleos full brother is and we compare Cleo and her brother to each other.
His owner found me on fb.

ys

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I expect full, honest disclosure regarding the health history of my kitten, its parents and its siblings. If that baby's lines are known for cardiac issues or hip dysplasia or whatever, I expect to be told that too so I can keep an eye open for it. I just want honesty.

On the topic of health; I won't even consider buying a kitten whose parents haven't been scanned for HCM. I don't care if a breeder is an otherwise perfect match for me. I've lost way too many Maine Coons to HCM and have every intention of doing all that I can to lower the odds of ever losing another kitty to that disease. Parental scanning is no guarantee that a kitty will never develop HCM, but it can sure lower the odds.

I'd like a kitten to be altered before I get it, if possible. I'm a strong proponent of early altering and I wish all breeders did it.

I'm ambivalent about the chipping. Though I understand why breeders chip, I would prefer that my personal info be entered for the chip.

I think that the type of relationship I expect to have with a breeder varies wildly depending on what quality of kitten I'm buying. As a pet buyer I would expect to keep my breeder updated on the development of the kitten and would expect to send them pictures so they can see how their progeny is developing, even if it isn't being shown. I don't mind talking on the phone, texting, or email, doesn't matter to me; the only thing that matters is that I not be called on my cell phone during the day because I sleep during the day.

susi794

Staff member
Here's my two cents:
As a breeder, I send home a goody bag with a 3 lb. bag of the dry food I use, 4 cans of the wet food, the baby wash I use for bathing, a bath puff made for babies, a blanket, a teddy bear with Feliway sprayed on it, one big toy and several small ones that I know are favorites--like teethers, leather mousies, birds that chirp etc., a small bottle of L-Lysine(just started putting this in), kitty vitamins, a dvd with a slideshow of the kitten from birth til the day they leave, medical records from my vet, and an informational sheet with a list of poisonous plants and foods to avoid as they can also be harmful, a short history of the breed and a few tips on litterbox issues and God forbid, a urine removal recipe. The blankets I send are always new--hearing what I'm hearing from you, maybe they need to be clean but used ones? I put the whole thing together in a reusable shopping bag.
I have quite a quandry about the neuter/spay issue--my vet will not do pediatric spay/neuter. I have to wait until the kitten is 6 mos. old...and no one else around here does them either, so I am currently trying to figure out what I will do once I resume my breeding program. I obviously can't wait until they are 6 months old. I just don't know what to do. I suppose I could bundle all the babies up and take them at once to someplace out of my area....but I don't want there to be hard feelings with my own vet, as he is exceedingly kind to me and my cat kids.
Anyway--this has been an interesting thread

susi794

Staff member
Oh, I forgot about what I expect in a breeder. I expect honesty. I expect not to be treated like a pain in the a$$ if I ask a lot of questions. I expect that when I email you or call and leave a message, that you will answer me in a timely manner. I want picture updates, medical history and vet and immunization records, information on pedigrees, the paperwork for TICA or CFA, I need to know you love this kitten and are interested in his/her welfare after he/she leaves your home. I expect that you will be willing to stand by your cats and step up to the plate if anything is wrong with them. I expect you will help me in any way that you're able if I have any questions or issues. And I want you to want me to keep in touch. I'd love to have pics of the dam and sire and littermates of my kitten along with a photo history if possible. I scrapbook and like all the pics. A goody bag or at least some of the food you are currently feeding is also important to me. I would love it if they were microchipped, but that certainly isn't an issue--none of mine are anyway. I want you to feel like a friend--approachable and not like you're going to disappear into the woodwork after you've received my money.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with what everyone has already suggested. I might add that a good reference from an owner whom I trust and admire also goes a long way in my book.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Susi- my vet refuses to do pediatric spays/neuters as well, although I may have just talked her into the neuters recently. And she OWNS two of my babies- so I have to feel that she has their best interest at heart. Plus, some research shows negative sides to pediatric spays/neuters (and some show none)- so I am wishy-washy about persuing it. My Savannah kitten, I plan to have neutered before he goes home- but he should be quite bigger then a typical 12 week old Sphynx kitten.

My microchips- I don't have my information put on the chip- I require the owners to submit their info within 30 days to the microchip company to ensure their kitten is registered and up to date.

Lots of good info on this thread though :) I'm glad I started it- gives me a lot of thought and lots of ideas and I'm glad to know most think the same way I do about what to expect from a breeder :)

Back