Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What do you feed to your friends?

shadowsdad

Lairian
Hello beautiful people,

So, I’m going to to lose my mind over this little precious (I think I’m being super overprotected). So, I noticed that my baby would get gassy, blotted after he would eat his kibble. It’s going away after he poop. After reading tons of articles I figured it might be the following: food intolerance (some ingredient that’s in the kibble doing that to him), he needs low-carbohydrates food (aren’t they all do), he eats too much and too fast (too much air goes in with the food)

Therefore, I’d like to find out if anyone had this issue and overall what do you feed to your hairless friends? I’m giving him Taste of The Wild Duck & Quail. I read, that it’s one of the highest quality dry food, one of not so many that meets AAFCO standards even, but apparently, something that’s in there makes him gassy…

Thank you and I greatly appreciate your help!

Rain City

Lairian
Historically I've fed my cats a mix of commercial raw and friskies wet, but I'm currently transitioning them to homemade raw food.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

shadowsdad

Lairian
Historically I've fed my cats a mix of commercial raw and friskies wet, but I'm currently transitioning them to homemade raw food.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I’ve read about raw diet, but a lot of vets against it, as they’re saying that it won’t deliver all of the necessary nutrition that’s needed for cats. Only specifically made and balanced food for cats can do that. Have you done research on raw diet?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Your little one is a kitten right? With kittens it's quit normal to have a bloated belly after eating. When the poop is firm, the kitten has enough energy and no rashes or other signs it's probably not an issue.
I feed my crew Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food and a few kibble in the evening. But I would't switch food to soon as long as there are no other signs

shadowsdad

Lairian
Your little one is a kitten right? With kittens it's quit normal to have a bloated belly after eating. When the poop is firm, the kitten has enough energy and no rashes or other signs it's probably not an issue.
I feed my crew Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food and a few kibble in the evening. But I would't switch food to soon as long as there are no other signs
Hello,

Yes, he's a kitten, almost 3 months old. No bad signs whatsoever: he's super energetic, big appetite, popping 2-3 times a day, he drinks water. Literally, my only concern is that bloated belly of his. I also was thinking that if I'll be constantly switching his dry food, it will be bad for his digestion. And he just was switched to another kibbles, as his breeder was feeding him a different one. So, I shouldn't freaking out?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello,

Yes, he's a kitten, almost 3 months old. No bad signs whatsoever: he's super energetic, big appetite, popping 2-3 times a day, he drinks water. Literally, my only concern is that bloated belly of his. I also was thinking that if I'll be constantly switching his dry food, it will be bad for his digestion. And he just was switched to another kibbles, as his breeder was feeding him a different one. So, I shouldn't freaking out?

Sounds like the normal bloated kitten belly. I know it can look huge and can imagine it makes you feel worried. But as long as he is energetic, has a good appetite, has firm poops and drinks water I wouldn't switch food to avoid tummy issues. Maybe you can add wet food to his menu from the same brand as the kibbles?

shadowsdad

Lairian
Sounds like the normal bloated kitten belly. I know it can look huge and can imagine it makes you feel worried. But as long as he is energetic, has a good appetite, has firm poops and drinks water I wouldn't switch food to avoid tummy issues. Maybe you can add wet food to his menu from the same brand as the kibbles?
Omg you just made my day as I was losing my mind worrying that’s something is bad. I really want to add wet food, but I’m scared because of their famous digestion issues, that after I’ll add another kind of a food to his diet, he’ll get diarrhea or another digestion issue. Am I too overprotected?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@shadowsdad Not overprotected at all. Just a loving sphynx parent who wants the best for her baby! Your boy is in good hands.
If you want to add wet food I would choose the same brand as the kibbles. Start with a little bit to see how your boys reacts and if it doesn't cause tummy issues. But if you want to be on the safe side you can wait a few weeks and start with wet food when he's a little older

shadowsdad

Lairian
@shadowsdad Not overprotected at all. Just a loving sphynx parent who wants the best for her baby! Your boy is in good hands.
If you want to add wet food I would choose the same brand as the kibbles. Start with a little bit to see how your boys reacts and if it doesn't cause tummy issues. But if you want to be on the safe side you can wait a few weeks and start with wet food when he's a little older
Noted. I’ll follow your advise. Thank you so much for elaborating that for me. So, it’s totally normal for kittens to have bloated belly, right?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Noted. I’ll follow your advise. Thank you so much for elaborating that for me. So, it’s totally normal for kittens to have bloated belly, right?

Well I'm no vet of course and can only tell by what of I saw with my four and what I saw and heard from others with kittens. After a meal lots of kittens do have a big bloated belly. If poop is firm and the kitten is energetic it normally means all is fine. When a kitten has diarrhea, a bloated belly and is lethargic then always go to the vet. Same when you don't trust it, follow your gut feeling and go to the vet.

shadowsdad

Lairian
Well I'm no vet of course and can only tell by what of I saw with my four and what I saw and heard from others with kittens. After a meal lots of kittens do have a big bloated belly. If poop is firm and the kitten is energetic it normally means all is fine. When a kitten has diarrhea, a bloated belly and is lethargic then always go to the vet. Same when you don't trust it, follow your gut feeling and go to the vet.
Well, thank you so much for advice and sharing experience. I greatly appreciate it!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@shadowsdad , I always suggest vet check, poo sample to rule out anything, giardia, etc. some vets will treat for giardia with metronidazole (flagyl) even with a possible false negative result

with that said, my 4 nakids and bengal adoptees had several poo issues, digestive issues on acana, orijen etc.
sharing, many years ago , I switched them to Nutrisource cat and kitten food and never looked back. touted for gut health, no recalls. I get online as it is not sold in big box stores. petflow, k9 cuisine etc. about 34 for a 16 lb bag.

lots of extra water bowls I keep a couple of water bowls away from food bowls, seems to encourage water at the "drinking watering hole " ..
hugs n head smooches, we are here for you, keep us updated

shadowsdad

Lairian
@shadowsdad , I always suggest vet check, poo sample to rule out anything, giardia, etc. some vets will treat for giardia with metronidazole (flagyl) even with a possible false negative result

with that said, my 4 nakids and bengal adoptees had several poo issues, digestive issues on acana, orijen etc.
sharing, many years ago , I switched them to Nutrisource cat and kitten food and never looked back. touted for gut health, no recalls. I get online as it is not sold in big box stores. petflow, k9 cuisine etc. about 34 for a 16 lb bag. lots of extra water bowls I keep a couple of water bowls away from food bowls, seems to encourage water at the "drinking watering hole " ..
hugs n head smooches, we are here for you, keep us updated
Poop sample was made already, all negative. I heard about Nutrisource, it’s just quite hard to find it, but I’ll look into that. Thank you so much!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@shadowsdad , there is a store locator in their website. some smaller pet places in town came up when I checked. I order thru k9cuisine or petflow with autoship discount. keep us updated.. hugs n head smooches

Back