Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What do you use to bathe your nakieee?

SleepyBandit

Lairian
I have a greaseball of a sphynx cat and she HATES baths. Currently I bathe her in the sink about once every 2 weeks, and wipe her down every day (face and neck). I know she's never going to love it but I feel like there's got to be a better way! What products do you use? What strategies?! HELP!

kibaspirit

Lairian
I will second the Hylyt. We have given Oogi 4 baths since we took him home in April. Each time he has gotten progressively used to the bath and less combative. 2 of those baths were emergency "poop foot" baths (apparently kittens are notorious for stepping in their poo). Myself and my partner work together for every spa day, so one person doesn't have to solo it. If you can recruit help it will be so much easier for both you and kitty. I would suggest getting a pair of exfoliator gloves in case of slippery kitty. For our last bath, I used my bare hands while my partner held kitty while wearing the gloves so I could lather him up. Make sure the bath is fully drawn and prepared before you begin. I also suggest putting the Hylyt directly in the water to make a bubblebath. It is more fun for the kitty and also masks the water a bit. Last, don't have any water running during the bath. In our experience our boy is extra squirmy if he hears that sound. For our last rodeo in the tub with him, we could finally set him in the water and not have to keep our hands near. Perhaps a bit of time and repetition will help. Do not show any signs of frustration, this will set a positive mood for bath time.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use Hylyt shampoo followed by Zymox Conditioning Rinse afterwards & for touch ups in the weeks btwn Spa Days.

- Hylyt is hypoallergenic & soap-free & rinses out relatively quickly so you don’t get the notorious orange residue marks the morning after! They get full spa day every 6-9 weeks or so.

- Zymox Enzymatic Conditioning Rinse is a leave on conditioning product that smells amazing & leaves their skin soft & supple! I use it with a Honest Co wet wipe during their weekly mani/pedi & ear cleaning days. It’s really extended the life of their spa days! (The new branding says it’s for “itchy, irritated skin,” but the formula is the same!)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica thank you for the great spa day info !
Do you have pics of th zymox amd the wipes?
I want to make sure I order the right Zymox cream rinse :)

Last edited:

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello! I hope bath time has gotten easier for you! I found that moving the baths from the sink into the tub was easier. I also warm the towel so the kitty gets a reward of a warm towel after the bath. I use baby shampoo and the exfoliating gloves already mentioned. I have unscented baby wipes for cleanup in between the baths, and found an ear cleaner solution at the pet store that I put on a baby wash cloth to clean his ears (works on nails too) followed by q-tips with the cleaner on it to get into his ear.
Also, just before his bath I use coconut oil to loosen the dirt and give my boy a little "massage" :)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a really bad back, so our guys must be bathed at countertop height. We use an old-style baby bathtub that we got on sale at Petsmart. It has a paw print decal and was sold as a small dog tub. So it goes on the kitchen counter. No cats are put in the tub until we have filled it half full, and filled a couple of pitchers of clear water for rinsing. We do one cat at a time, with me having one scrubby glove on for soaping and scrubbing. I use a clean glove for each.

We used to use Dr Fosters and Smith’s Oatmeal shampoo, it worked well, and the catz would smell like almonds after. Now, we use Hylyte shampoo, and it works really well. It is important to rinse really well, and I keep talking softly to them through the whole ordeal.

Drying time is a rodeo. Our old vets used bath towels to restrain the cats for procedures, so now both catz fight me if I try to wrap them up. Instead, I stand the wet cat on a towel, and dry with a hand towel. They still fight it, but I try to get them as dry as possible.

LoveNubi

Lairian
I use Hylyt shampoo followed by Zymox Conditioning Rinse afterwards & for touch ups in the weeks btwn Spa Days.

- Hylyt is hypoallergenic & soap-free & rinses out relatively quickly so you don’t get the notorious orange residue marks the morning after! They get full spa day every 6-9 weeks or so.

- Zymox Enzymatic Conditioning Rinse is a leave on conditioning product that smells amazing & leaves their skin soft & supple! I use it with a Honest Co wet wipe during their weekly mani/pedi & ear cleaning days. It’s really extended the life of their spa days! (The new branding says it’s for “itchy, irritated skin,” but the formula is the same!)
Do you have links for both of these.. I am very interested in getting the Hylyt and Zymox but I don't know where to find it?

Back