Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What have I let myself in for???

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So I bought Mug-Y a nice comfortable vest harness and a lead (diamante - everyone needs a bit of bling) and decided I would leash train him.

After a week of him wearing the harness around the apartment and learning to walk without looking like his legs are only 2 inches long i ventured out into the main corridor with him...it didn't go well...lasted maybe two minutes.

Next day - Tried again and got a liiiiittle better so day after that we ventured outside...

...oh what have i done....

He loves it! Unfortunately he does not understand the concept of night/rain/cold and has taken to howling and scratching at the door to go out...

...I've created a MONSTER!!!

Once we're out we are out for about an hour....this involves niffing every bush/tree/car/pebble, moaning at me if i try to make him go in any direction he doesn't want to, hissing for no apparent reason and sitting....anywhere he wants...even if it's in someones way...they just get shouted at by him!

I love that he's so happy and enjoys it so much but nice weather is something that can't be relied on in England and it appears sphynx don't take well to explainations of weather systems :Dizzy:

Will post pics later when I'm on my home computer.

X

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the 'we've turned our indoor cats into outdoor cats' club. I'm lucky. I have a screened in porch. And as for the weather, I'm in Texas. It rarely gets below 80F even at night. So Butterball has it made in the shade.... Literally. I think it's too hot sometimes and bring him in. But he goes right by the door waiting to be let outside. It's weird too, inside Butterball runs around, playing, sleeping or hiding. Outside he just sits on a towel and looks for bugs, birds, and squirrels. He's such a sweet little kitty outside. He's not so sweet inside.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Mo also loves going outside! He goes out on his harness and has to roll around and rub his back on all stone surfaces when it's warm! The little wierdo! He's forever sat on the bin on the patio so he can look into next door! Quite embarrassing because they often have their dinner outside and Mo always has to go and smell what they're having over the wall! Ha ha ha! He likes the BBQ's. LOL

Do you get a lot of comments from people who see Mug-Y when he's out?! People just stare at me like I'm a crazy lady but don't say anything!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Mo also loves going outside! He goes out on his harness and has to roll around and rub his back on all stone surfaces when it's warm! The little wierdo! He's forever sat on the bin on the patio so he can look into next door! Quite embarrassing because they often have their dinner outside and Mo always has to go and smell what they're having over the wall! Ha ha ha! He likes the BBQ's. LOL

Do you get a lot of comments from people who see Mug-Y when he's out?! People just stare at me like I'm a crazy lady but don't say anything!

Bless Mo! He's so funny!! Yesterday I had three cars slow down and stare at him, so I just waved at them!!!:LOL: No one has said anything yet...i'm waiting for that one!!

X

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wait till they see Snuffie in her stroller!!:LOL:

Oh I know!!! Its bright green!!! I'm actually waiting on it to arrive any minute! Im so excited. I'm going to set it up here in the livingroom for a few days so she gets used to it before I take her out. I'll let you know all about the crazy looks I get. I'm also going to carry a camera with us when on our walks and those who want a photo with her can get one emailed to them. haha Im so excited! I can finally get up off this couch and do something!! I've gained 15 lbs since being laid off and dang it, I gotta lose it before I find a new job. lol Besides, gotta fit back into my "work clothes". lol

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I took Jack in the car yesterday when I picked up Outback carside to go. He sits in the passanger seat and looks out the window like a dog would. When she came to my car she was like Is that a cat? And after she went back in I could see all the employess looking out the window at us! LOL I have a bike trailer that is completely screened in. I totally plan on taking the crew out it in one time instead of my son just to see if people say anything to me.

My neighboors once came over and knocked on my door to ask if I had a "hairless cat" they thought they were seeing things. They sit in the windows. I think there is ONE other person in my city who has a hairless cat and it happens to be Junos, brother.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My sofa is against a window which faces a barn that has been converted to apartments. When I first got Pedda I could see some of the neighborhood kids watching her while she was sitting there sunning herself. Finally two little girls, about 5, came and knocked on my door and told me that my cat was sick cause its hair fell out. I let them come in to see her better and explained that she wasn't sick and that she was born without hair. One little girl turned to the other one and pronounced "It isn't sick, it's old. Look at all the wrinkles!" I about died laughing.

A little over 3 years ago my boss got worried and sent the sheriff out to check on me. I'd recently had heart surgery and didn't go into work because I'd looked at my schedule wrong and thought I was off, and of course this happened on the same day that I lost my cell phone so he couldn't call. So I answered the pounding door with Little Ren in his normal spot, stretched out on me like a baby being burped with a paw around my neck. The sheriff's eyes bugged out and the first thing he said was "omg is that a monkey?"

That sheriff just stared at Little Ren the whole time I was reassuring him that I was fine, though obviously an idiot. After the chitchat he said "Lady, are you SURE that isn't a monkey?" I had to pry Ren away and sit him on the floor to prove that he was really a cat.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One little girl turned to the other one and pronounced "It isn't sick, it's old. Look at all the wrinkles!" I about died laughing.

After the chitchat he said "Lady, are you SURE that isn't a monkey?"

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

(On a side note, I hope you are feeling lot better than you did 3 years ago!)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My sofa is against a window which faces a barn that has been converted to apartments. When I first got Pedda I could see some of the neighborhood kids watching her while she was sitting there sunning herself. Finally two little girls, about 5, came and knocked on my door and told me that my cat was sick cause its hair fell out. I let them come in to see her better and explained that she wasn't sick and that she was born without hair. One little girl turned to the other one and pronounced "It isn't sick, it's old. Look at all the wrinkles!" I about died laughing.

A little over 3 years ago my boss got worried and sent the sheriff out to check on me. I'd recently had heart surgery and didn't go into work because I'd looked at my schedule wrong and thought I was off, and of course this happened on the same day that I lost my cell phone so he couldn't call. So I answered the pounding door with Little Ren in his normal spot, stretched out on me like a baby being burped with a paw around my neck. The sheriff's eyes bugged out and the first thing he said was "omg is that a monkey?"

That sheriff just stared at Little Ren the whole time I was reassuring him that I was fine, though obviously an idiot. After the chitchat he said "Lady, are you SURE that isn't a monkey?" I had to pry Ren away and sit him on the floor to prove that he was really a cat.

OMG!!! Greatest story of the month award to you!! I belted out laughing so hard my boyfriend looked at me like I was nuts! hahahaha Thanks for sharing!!:LOL::LOL::Hysterical::ThumbsUp::LOL:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You know what would be hilarious....if someone went outside with their sphynx on a leash but was wearing a lab coat and surgical mask......LOL...kind of like a biohazard thing.....bet that would stop traffic!

Glad leash training is goingwell! Something i did with Nofuratu to get him to go where I want ...I take one of those stringy dangly toys on a stick...dont know what they're called....and just dangle that in from of him in the direction i need to go...kind of like a donkey with a carrot on a stick. Works great!

I started doing that at the flea market on weekends because my booth was really far away from the bathroom where I kept his litter box, and it would take ages to walk him to his litter!!! had to stop and sniff everything and go in the wrong direction etc. Now I give a gentle tug on his leash and start walking ahead of him and he comes even if I dont have the string toy. Good luck!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You know what would be hilarious....if someone went outside with their sphynx on a leash but was wearing a lab coat and surgical mask......LOL...kind of like a biohazard thing.....bet that would stop traffic!

That would be halarious!!!! And great idea with leash training with the toy on a stick!

Back