Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What is the one thing your Sphynx has done that scared you the most?

• They got outside

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • They ate something they shouldn’t have

• They fell

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • They got hurt

• They didn’t come when you called, so you thought they got outside

• They got sick

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Please remember to vote you must be in the regular site www.sphynxlair.com. You cannot vote in Tapatalk.

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Since I could only choose one option, I chose that my nakid got outside. It makes my stomach turn just thinking about it, but Vinnie got out on to our roof terrace, which is 6 floors up... We have a screen door (fastened with 2 extra hooks..!) so that we can have the terrace door open, but he slunk out as I was coming back in once. Thankfully I managed to remain calm (so as not to freak him out!) and swooped him up real quick. Nearly gave me a heart attack and have been paranoid about going out there ever since....

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When she was 11 months old, Cleopatra began one Sunday at 3 AM with vomiting. She vomited several times over the next few hours, and when she threw up her breakfast immediately after she ate it (she got into the older cats’ food), off we went to the emergency vet.

During the night before, she managed to eat 32 inches of yarn. We know it was 32 inches, because the emergency vet measured it when they operated to remove it. And, after it was removed, they showed it to me and offered to return it! I declined. The next 2 weeks were interesting, because she wasn’t supposed to jump or run. We bought the largest dog crate I could find, and fitted it with a small litter box, a blanket and food dishes. It became her cave with a quilt draped over it, and she happily slept in it. I was sooo happy the day her stitches came out, and she healed up just fine.

Cleo is now 8 years old, and has a lovely zipper scar the length of her belly as a reminder of that awful weekend. Nowadays, she usually only eats cat food that has been decently canned and a few bugs. She is the only cat we have ever had who doesn’t like people food at all. But she still licks anything soft and fuzzy and likes to chew on sheer curtains!

ETA This episode made Cleo the most expensive cat we have ever owned. The bill was around $4300.99.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Cleopatra Beers Cleo is one lucky little lady. Also a mighty expensive one lol. But then again she is priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
the one thing that scared and scarred my heart for life was when Yoda girl had those gutteral howling thrombosis embolisms..
I cringe everytime my nakids shake a back leg now bcz it was always a precursor to the embolisms clots

Lisa Bradley

Lairian
I voted for a fall and that made the poll a tie with exactly 1 vote per option!

We brought the cats to my parents house for a weekend visit and there is a hallway on the 2nd floor that you can look over onto the floor below. There also this little ledge that my dad had a really special airplane propeller displayed on (it's wooden and 8' long) and it is displayed over the room below. We were all having dinner (upstairs) and suddenly we hear this HUGE crash and we go running - and look over the railing and there's the propeller and Aether on the floor in the room below. Aether was a little spooked for about 30 seconds before he got over it. That was a close one.... propellers are heavy!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Raphael ate a twist tie. At the emergency clinic they gave me the options of surgery, making her puke, or wait for her to poop. I chose make her puke. She threw up the twist tie with no internal damage. Unfortunately she still eats anything she finds on the floor. But I haven't had to take her to emergency since the twist tie incident.

MeadowThorne

Lairian
When she was 11 months old, Cleopatra began one Sunday at 3 AM with vomiting. She vomited several times over the next few hours, and when she threw up her breakfast immediately after she ate it (she got into the older cats’ food), off we went to the emergency vet.

During the night before, she managed to eat 32 inches of yarn. We know it was 32 inches, because the emergency vet measured it when they operated to remove it. And, after it was removed, they showed it to me and offered to return it! I declined. The next 2 weeks were interesting, because she wasn’t supposed to jump or run. We bought the largest dog crate I could find, and fitted it with a small litter box, a blanket and food dishes. It became her cave with a quilt draped over it, and she happily slept in it. I was sooo happy the day her stitches came out, and she healed up just fine.

Cleo is now 8 years old, and has a lovely zipper scar the length of her belly as a reminder of that awful weekend. Nowadays, she usually only eats cat food that has been decently canned and a few bugs. She is the only cat we have ever had who doesn’t like people food at all. But she still licks anything soft and fuzzy and likes to chew on sheer curtains!

ETA This episode made Cleo the most expensive cat we have ever owned. The bill was around $4300.99.
wow that's crazy !

SillyLily

Lairian
We attempted to get Miss Lily to wear a collar. She “loved” it so much she threw herself off the stairs through the slots in the railing. She fell around an estimated 6 feet onto the hardest flooring imaginable (this floor has broken numerous cell phones and an iPad) It was a terrible splat noise that we will never forget. It knocked the wind out of her and she was pretty sore for a few days. We haven’t attempted a collar, harness, or clothing since. We’ve put carpet runners where she fell in an attempt to soften a blow in case, god’s forbid, it happens again. Ugh...that noise :  (

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We attempted to get Miss Lily to wear a collar. She “loved” it so much she threw herself off the stairs through the slots in the railing. She fell around an estimated 6 feet onto the hardest flooring imaginable (this floor has broken numerous cell phones and an iPad) It was a terrible splat noise that we will never forget. It knocked the wind out of her and she was pretty sore for a few days. We haven’t attempted a collar, harness, or clothing since. We’ve put carpet runners where she fell in an attempt to soften a blow in case, god’s forbid, it happens again. Ugh...that noise : (
that sounds horrifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tuffysmommy

Lairian
You are all so lucky it was just a fright. They are so frisky and underfoot and into things. I don’t think any cat I’ve ever had has been that active even the tiny young feral I tamed and had for 13 years. My Paka is hurt now and I hope it becomes a horrible MEMORY soon. Lots of love and compassion.