Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What is the reaction when people see your Sphynx?

What is the reaction of guests when first meeting your Sphynx?

• Love em!

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Hate em!

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Loss for words?

Votes: 138 61.9%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What is the reaction of guests, family members or friends when first laying eyes on your Sphynx?
Please explain your answer of why they love em, hate em, or at a loss for words!

Last edited:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Everyone at work loves my cats, especially Buck. I've taken him to muliple petstores and he's allowed to run the front desk when at work with me--I haven't found anyone yet that doesn't love them all.

However, the best are people who come over to get something off of Craigslist. I never warn them.

As someone I know said, "HEY!! THAT'S ONE OF THEM THERE SKINLESS CATS!". :LOL: Gotta love it.

Brooke

Banned
I've met a few skeptics who loved the cats after they met them, but later admitted that they thought they would be gross, until they met them. They have an uncanny ability to change people's preconceived notions of what hairless cats would be like. Most people think they're really cool.

I had a cable guy here once that was completely un-phased. This is back when I just had Harold. Harold used to approach EVERYONE like he'd known them his whole life. So, the cable guy is standing in my living room and Harold walks right up to him and stands up and tries to climb the guys leg, just begging for the guy to pick him up. Cable guy didn't even react! That was weird. How do you ignore a naked begging cat that's climbing your leg?

Someone at the ophthalmologist today asked me if Nelson was a hairless dog...????

My boss is a cat hater (May he burn for an eternity) and when I showed him a photo of Helen, he told me she looks like Predator when he takes his mask off. :Furious:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo has been called a giant rat at the shows.
She was called a Gremlin also when I first got her.
Most be say can we touch them and think they are cool.
I have had a few nasty comments but not really at the shows.
Everyone asks where are the naked cats.
I had a few breeders of other breeds come over on sunday and ask if they could touch Wrinkles.
Most people are surprised they are from Canada.
Some of my family call them ugly.
Most people say can we touch them.

susi794

Staff member
Several people have confessed that they always thought these cats were ugly, but when they see them in person and see how sweet they are, they change their minds. They are such good little ambassadors! And lots of people ask if they can touch mine too. My male, Moody, jumps up on people's shoulders and my alpha queen, Habibi jumps behind people when they sit down and starts playing with their hair--most people laugh and enjoy the very outgoing nature of my cats, but have had some people jump away from fright when Moody jumps from the ground to their shoulder...and so far nobody's ever gotten mad about Habibi messing with their hair. But most of my kids are EXTREMELY friendly.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Most want to touch them..LOL mine have the added bonus of having one eye each. This really screws with peoples head.:LOL: Most people can't believe how warm and soft they are.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Alot of people want to take maggies pic & ask if they can touch her! I think more people say she is beautiful & amazing than ewwwa alien or that's ugly or what is that thing!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Most people are a little shocked when they first see Piglet, and some of them think she's a dog, but most of them soon warm up to her when they see how friendly and sweet she is. Everybody always want to touch her to see what she feels like and (like others here have said in their posts)are surprised at how soft and warm she is. I've only had a few people say that she's ugly; most people tell me how beautiful she is and how big her eyes are...LOL! A couple of the residents at the assited-living home we visit love Piglet so much, they'd keep her if they could!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Same as most of you already said here. I'm not sure why but when people see a picture they ask if it is a cat or a dog :Dizzy:. My grandfather, bless him, is convinced she is a chihuahua even though I've brought her to the house to visit 3 times! On Thanksgiving, I did not bring Sophie and he asked "where is the chihuahua?"

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Same as most of you already said here. I'm not sure why but when people see a picture they ask if it is a cat or a dog :Dizzy:. My grandfather, bless him, is convinced she is a chihuahua even though I've brought her to the house to visit 3 times! On Thanksgiving, I did not bring Sophie and he asked "where is the chihuahua?"

:LOL::LOL::LOL:Poor Grandpa!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My experiences have been very similar to the threads already posted. The following phrases are what I normally hear when we go out:

"Mr. Bigglesworth!" or "Hey! It's that Austin Powers cat!"
"Is that a chihuahua?"
"Rachel's cat!" or "It's that cat on friends"
"Where's its hair?"
"I bet it's hard to keep her warm in the winter"
"Can I touch it?"
"They're so ugly, they're cute"
"Always thought they were ugly, but...."

A couple of times I heard "That's freaky."

The close minded people are really missing out. Most people I encounter find her cute and love how curious and well behaved she is.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ROFL..Oh Grandpa, that is so hilarious I keep giggling. Susi the litter got a eye infection when they were tiny and that is the result. You would never know but they do startle easy sometimes. I got them from a breeder as special needs. They are bro and sis, 7 mths.:Wink:

myspecialboy

Lairian
When they just see a picture of Chadwick, people are either excited that I have one because they always wanted one or (most) think he looks freaky. I have only had one person still think he's ugly after meeting him, but she wouldn't get close enough to him because his tail freaked her out. I've brought him to the children's psych hospital (the residential treatment side) I work at and the kids just love him! They always ask when I'm bringing in my cat!
The best thing about Chad is that he's a man magnet! All the guys who have ever met Chad are obsessed with him after! There is this one guy who is kind of a jerk and tries to act all tough (he's a cop). Well, he met Chadwick last year and every time I see him, he asks me why I didn't bring Chad with me, even at work and the bars! He asks his girlfriend (a friend and coworker of mine) to keep tabs on Chad for him, too! Another gets so excited to see Chadwick, he acts like a little kid! Only problem is all the guys Chadwick has met are either gay or taken. I need to show him to single guys...

Some reactions to Chadwick:
"He looks like a big rat"
"He looks like that thing from Harry Potter"
"Is that a cat?!"
"Why doesn't he have hair?"
"Will he ever get hair?"
"How does he stay warm?"
"He looks evil"
and my "favorite"...
"He looks like a scrotum"

Do I really look like a set of those????

gizmo6370

Banned
First it's like this
26.gif
and then they found out how
00012.gif
they are....now everybody loves them :BigSmile:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They get called Chihuahuas a LOT. I constantly hear "Is that a chihuahua?" I also get "they are so ugly they are cute"

Olemam

Lairian
Here the people are not so friendly-minded, either I have to listen to me, suffering animals bred, very, or getting used to the discipline should be banned.
During the conversation turns out, the people have no idea of the race. Is sad, but luckily gibts ja, individual, stand behind the sphinx.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They get called Chihuahuas a LOT. I constantly hear "Is that a chihuahua?" I also get "they are so ugly they are cute"

A lot of people who see Piglet thinks she's a chihuahua, too! :Dizzy: Amazing! I think sphynx are WAY cuter than chihuahuas!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A lot of people who see Piglet thinks she's a chihuahua, too! :Dizzy: Amazing! I think sphynx are WAY cuter than chihuahuas!

I just don't see the connection either.They are bigger than chihuahuas, they don't have hair and they look like a CAT. A cat with no hair but still they look like cats.:Dizzy:

I guess its because they are so unexpected. People would rather think "that's the weirdest chihuahua i've ever seen" rather than "did I really just see a naked cat:Surprise:"
:LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Everyone at work loves my cats, especially Buck. I've taken him to muliple petstores and he's allowed to run the front desk when at work with me--I haven't found anyone yet that doesn't love them all.

However, the best are people who come over to get something off of Craigslist. I never warn them.

As someone I know said, "HEY!! THAT'S ONE OF THEM THERE SKINLESS CATS!". :LOL: Gotta love it.

Yep, my Grandad regularly refers to Mo as the SKINLESS CAT!! He never realises what he's saying even though we tell him every time! :Hysterical:

Brooke

Banned
I just had an A/C repair guy and his wife here, and they LOVED the cats! ...and of course, the cats put on a show for them, especially Helen (the little circus clown that she is).

They were here to fix my heater because it's finally starting to get cold here in Florida, and I had to explain that it wasn't for me, it was for my naked cats...they fixed it, and the cats are warm and happy now.

I always like to tell people that come over here about the cats, even pizza delivery people, because often this is the only time they'll ever get a chance to see a sphynx in their entire life. I love to see their reactions. People are usually really excited to see and touch them.

susi794

Staff member
Susi the litter got a eye infection when they were tiny and that is the result. You would never know but they do startle easy sometimes. I got them from a breeder as special needs. They are bro and sis, 7 mths.:Wink:
Bless you for taking them and being their forever mama.:ThumbsUp:

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:LOL::LOL::LOL:I have heard all the above.. Most just think I am crazy for not only having one Sphynx but 3 more as well. Most are surprised by them and what they cost, thus making me look even crazier.. The great thing is they usually fall madly in love with my group...except the guy who did our electric hook up when we brought our new house and we're moving in. he would not come near them and would not come in the house till they were in the bedroom and couldn't get him..Which I found to be the funniest thing ever, cause the only way they would have hurt him is to lick him to death...:LOL::LOL::LOL: DEATH BY SANDPAPER TOUNGE !!!!! THERE IS A NEW IDEA OF TOURTURE:LOL::LOL:

Annelies

Lairian
My mom calls Sméagol E.T sometimes:BigSmile:

And when we were att the vet's, a little girl screemed: "Look mommy, that cat has no hair! But he's cute!"

It is a luck that the cats hav CAttatude!

Back