Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What kind of flea/tick preventative on your dog? (Safe around cats!)

Cassandra323

Lairian
What kind of flea and tick preventative are you using on your dogs that is safe for dogs that are around cats? I know K9 Advantix is not safe to be used on dogs that around closely around cats. I need a tick preventative more than anything.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cassandra323

I am goimg back to trying frontline plus.. Some say it works some, say it doesn't -
I used it for many years before switching to other prescription products that my dog had a bad reaction to amd many products didn't cover ticks

Let us know how you like the seresto collars :)

Here is a simple tick removal method I tried

Tick removal made easy !

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use next guard for my dogs. It's a chewable preventative. I previously used Frontline plus but at my vets recommendation I switched. No oily residue on the dogs is nice too

Victoria D

Lairian
We have always used comfortis, it is a pill you give once a month prescribed by your vet. We later switched to trifexis since it is a heart worm preventative as well as a flea killer. Both worked for us! I never had great results with the skin applications like frontline.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynxmoms et al
Looking for reviews of seresto flea collars for dogs?

My rottie is on phenobarbital for seizures .
Yesterday he had his semi annual blood work and weight check
(Lost 10 lbs so far ! Is 153 lbs now )

My vet has a dog with seizures .
She said seeing bad flea problems lately in Florida

So we discussed preventive and she recommeded the seresto collar she uses on her epi dog.

I am always hestitant to use or apply pesticides all these products have :(

I know some members have experience with this product so looking for your reviews

I worry too because my kitties cuddle snooze rub up on the dogs

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Still looking into seresto flea ollar for preventive for my rottie who can’t have nexgard because of his seizure medication
This poor boy is allergic to even Benadryl !
I saw scary allergic reaction pics to seresto over time

Please
Anyone have experience with the seresto collar long term?

@kauna are you still using nexgard ?
Have to look at using it as preventative for the Aussies who are very thick double coated and bathed every two weeks

Thanks in advance !

alandsim

Lairian
Still looking into seresto flea ollar for preventive for my rottie who can’t have nexgard because of his seizure medication
This poor boy is allergic to even Benadryl !
I saw scary allergic reaction pics to seresto over time

Please
Anyone have experience with the seresto collar long term?

@kauna are you still using nexgard ?
Have to look at using it as preventative for the Aussies who are very thick double coated and bathed every two weeks

Thanks in advance !

I'm switching my dog to Nexgard because he was on K9 advantix II, but haven't given him his first dose yet.

I liked that it was chewable, so I asked my vet if it was safe to combine with zonisamide and heartgard.

She said yes, then later on I saw this info from the FDA. I was asking my vet a lot of questions about it being associated with seizures and other problems and they said the studies that found this did not indicate to them that seizures were caused by Nexgard, it's just that when dogs have a neurological event and they're on Nexgard they have to report it and they become part of the study whether they are then found to have a condition like epilepsy or not. I had already bought it and I was kind of like "... okay I guess that makes sense... so you would give this to your dog? Okayyy I'll tryyyy itttt"

But if I notice any increase in seizures or a reaction I want to switch so my vet recommended frontline which is topical and which she says won't hurt cats. Before all this I was under the impression that topical meds would be harmful so now I'm like, I wish you would have told me to get that first!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@alandsim totally get it
Two week ago My vets office said seresto collar for my seizure dog
They wanted 82 for it but got on Chewy for much less
Didn’t open it an sent it back after seeing the fda warning and learnings the large dog size are not breakaway !

Back to the drawing board and went old school frontline plus my vet said it was fine to use - I had an unopened box on hand from my “hurricane kit “ so they all got it

I have used frontline plus on my dogs for 15 plus years without any problems
I use intermittently and two weeks after their heart preventative (hare giving them all these poisons :( ) amd certainly not at once

I did give the Aussie a nexgard when I first got him but not using again -
IMHO I just don’t like these flea “meds “ that cross the blood brain barrier

I am sticking to frontline - recently ordered frontline gold
It has one extra ingredient pyriproxyfen .25
compared to I think advantage with at double .46 pyriproxyfen
Advantage has the first ingredient I won’t give to my seizure dog

I have never put on any flea meds on my kitties

(Just to share my rottie Max year’s ago had a horrid reaction to trifexis!
All neurological stumbling muscle stiffness falling just aweful )

Soo lesser of evils for me here

My breeder friend uses only interceptor plus amd frontline too

I did read for seizures dogs interceptor amd frontline is recommended
My vet doesn’t carry interceptor or interceptor plus
So I order online and they fax my vets office
(I ordered interceptor thru Chewy pharmacy for the first time amd it was a breeze! )
Got frontline on sale there too 20% off so I keep an eye out on their sales that seem to go thru Sunday nights -amd reappear on sale again randomly)

Using interceptor plus on my dogs Aussie n rottie including my seizure rottie for 6 years no issues

Will let you know how the frontline gold is

I did call frontline and asked why the application of the gold is different than the plus-
Better distribution ?
I am not going to apply the gold al the way to the base of tail where they could lick it
which rep said was fine

Thanks for sharing your thoughts experience !

Last edited:
Back