Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What made you get a Sphynx?

Why did you choose a Sphynx cat?

• Austin Powers?

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Strange and "Different" looking?

Votes: 71 32.3%
  • Personality traits?

Votes: 100 45.5%
  • I hate cat hair!

Votes: 48 21.8%

• Total voters

Bella07

Banned
What made it my dream to get a Sphynx Cat was for a variety of reasons. They are the most unique, beautiful breed that I have ever seen, and their wonderful personality's made me fall in love. I can't wait to own a Sphynx of my very own!

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You didn't have one to say you stole one from your in-laws........:)

We went for a visit, and I stole my piggy and brought him cross country.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i picked "i hate cat hair"- mostly because it fit the best... but wasn't completely accurate.

i'm exteremly allergic to cats and i saw Kat Von D on tv doing an interview one night and saw her cat and INSTANTLY fell in love!! My fiancee and i talked about maybe getting one, but wasn't for sure, then he surprised me with my Bronxe!!

He IS and will be the most amazing gift i will ever receive. (ok, note- i have not yet have a child of myself.. although they may even be put on the back burner for him ;) j/k)

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i picked "i hate cat hair"- mostly because it fit the best... but wasn't completely accurate.

i'm exteremly allergic to cats and i saw Kat Von D on tv doing an interview one night and saw her cat and INSTANTLY fell in love!! My fiancee and i talked about maybe getting one, but wasn't for sure, then he surprised me with my Bronxe!!

He IS and will be the most amazing gift i will ever receive. (ok, note- i have not yet have a child of myself.. although they may even be put on the back burner for him ;) j/k)

Speaking of Kat Von D, I read on Yahoo news she was dating Jesse James. I'm not one for gossip but I found that a little weird.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Elgato- i found it odd too. can't help but think it's some drug induced publicity stunt. just seems so far fetched. and they both have a serious history of substance abuse.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I always thought the breed was interesting but it wasn't until I met Teeka and one of her kittens that I fell in love. My sister owned them and had bred Teeka twice. She found it too difficult to continue the breeding and wanted to focus on her dogs. When she offered me Teeka, I jumped at the chance.

I had fallen in love with that little girl instantly.

And now she's mine. :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've always been a cat person. First time I saw a Sphynx I was in my early 20's, I fell inlove with them and had to get one...then I found out they were expensive so my dream was temporarily shattered.
Last year I noticed my teeth declining quickly. I'm deathly afraid of the dentist and made myself a promise that if I got all of my dental work caught up and fixed, along with my wisdom teeth I'd let myself get a sphynx as a reward. It worked!
All my teeth are fixed and looking great,,I have some nerve damage where my 4 impacted wisdom teeth were extracted but other than that $6000 in dental work and a mere 9 months of dental appointments and I got my Sphynx! Snuffie is so much more to me than just a hairless cat!! The thought of her helped me get through all the hyperventilating and anxiety attacks!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been a cat person all my life. The Sphynx looked so unusual and no hair to mess things up or sneeze. Large ears and big eyes just drew me in. A sculpture in motion. Now that I have owned a few - it is the personality.:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I remember I was looking to buy a persian kitten (although my husband hates cat hair!) and searching online I saw these hairless kittens and I just fell in LOVE with the breed!....I just had to have one!...I started searching for breeders in FL and I found one,She told us she had one 2 week old sphynx kitten. And there he was my cute little Mickey,He was all wrinkles and so tiny.

I LOVE SPHYNX CATS!!!!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been a Siamese cat lover for years and years, until I became curious about sphynx cats. It all started because my boyfriend made some comment about my cats shedding a lot. I then visited a sphynx cat cattery in Denver and fell in love with the sphynx personality. I knew then that I had to have one of these enchanting creatures for my very own. I found Piglet through a sphynx cat rescue group...and the rest is history!

Christine

Lairian
At first I thought that they would be awesome with no hair lol. The more I read about their personalities the more I wanted one!

MontyBurns

Lairian
It is strange because I actually do not like cats, I've NEVER liked them, don't care for them (I think because when I was 5 years old I was trying to pet this cat and it scratched me..haha).

Anyway, my original plan was to get a Chinese Crested dog because I have this thing for hairless animals and I saw it in the movie superstar, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money and my friend told me you can get free pets on craigslist, but most of them are going to be kittens.

Then I had this bright idea to search on CL for hairless pets, and a sphynx came up.

That's pretty much the end of the story, because I saw the picture and just thought they were so awesome. I did a lot of research and it seemed that their personality was just right for me. I don't even consider them cats, to me they are Sphynx's (I definitely like the lair headline: If it's got hair, it's just a cat!) I could not agree more.

So much for not spending a lot of money...but I am incredibly happy with my Mr. Burns:BigSmile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I read an article about sphynx in Cat Fancy magazine back in the mid 80's I think it was. Then I saw a live one at a TICA show in 1988. The owner let me touch him and I fell in love. Took me 15 years to get one of my own but it was worth the wait. :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I fell in love with their "look" back in the early 90s and soon had 3 boys. But after the last one died in 2008, it was the personality I missed most of all and is the reason why bringing Gleek home has been such a joyful time.

Treasurecat

Banned
I had seen them at shows and in books but never really entertained the thought of getting one ( A thousand dollars, are you crazy!!! ) I went to a breeders house to look at Cornish Rex. But none of them were very appealing or friendly (she only had 2 or 3 available) When I said that I didn't think she had any rex for me, she said " would you like to see some Sphynx, I have a litter that's about 8 weeks old" So needless to say, that was the beginning of the end for me (the end of hairy cats, lol) and I left that day with Peaches, who was so cute I could have eaten her, lol.

I don't remember having much of an opinion before I got her, but once I did it was an immediate fascination. Just watching her play and move and the expressions on her face were all so novel and we've always had cats, just not naked ones. I don't think I could go back to hairy, I love my girls, each and every one (and I really do hate cat hair, lol)

cjsphynx

Lairian
I fell in love with the cute/ugly breed. I hate going to people house that have cat hair everywhere. I also wanted everyone to come to my house and not be worried about allergies. After getting the most lovable perfect kitten, I am severely allergic to her go figure. I am on every possible medication and have been doing so good. It broke my heart to think I might have to give her a new home. Thank god for my allergist I love my kitten. Her personality is part monkey and part dog.

KushielsTart

Lairian
I too, chose the hair option simply because it was closest. I have always been a cat person, and when my husband and I first got together and settled in I really wanted one but he was allergic. I think seeing the cat in Austin Powers might have been my first exposure, but it wasn't the catalyst. After learning Brian was allergic, I started looking into them and doing research on the internet. We visited a breeder and were both instantly entranced. He was a bit shocked, because he never really thought he liked cats.

Because of a move half way across the country it was almost two years until I got to the place where I felt I wasn't being entirely irresponsible buying a thousand dollar cat, and we've never looked back. We're at three right now and keep tossing back and forth the idea of another kitten for our 9 month old to terrorize rather than the older girls, but who knows.

Amanda537

Lairian
I went to see Cats and Dogs with my son, and the "villain" is a sphynx named Kitty Galore and knew I had to have one. When I got home I immediately started researching them and fell in love:Adore: and I put a deposit on a little boy last weekend. Plus cat hair isn't my favorite thing.

Back