Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What should I get as a second cat?

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Hi all,

I want to get my 6 month old girl a buddy. For those of you who have 2 cats, do you find female and female pairs get alone better or female and male pairs?

I was worried about rivalry with 2 girls as with our dogs we’ve always had opposite sexes because they seem to get along better!

What do you all think?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I have 2 boys and 1 girl. For a while I even had 2 boys and 2 girls. They all get along fine. No rivalry between the girls or boys. In my experience it's more important to find matching personality's.

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have 2 boys and they get along great! I've never had any other cats so, can't comment on gender differences, but from what I've read on here of other member's experiences, it seems girls can be a bit more territorial or particular? We did want another boy, but were more concerned with personality than anything.

Butchie was just over 1 year old when we got Vinnie, who was then 6 months old. When we went to see Vinnie at his breeder, and she had 2 boys left - one was a very gentle, slender boy and the other seemed to have a more outgoing, curious and slightly crazy personality. Butchie was really boisterous and super playful, so we knew we needed a second cat that could handle that, and Vinnie turned out to be a purrfect match!

The age difference was great as well - Vinnie was not a tiny kitten and could stand his own ground during playtime (with a bit of help from mummy and daddy sometimes!), but he was still younger so that Butchie didn't feel threatened at all.

oolahappi

Lairian
I tried to introduce a 7 y/o female (balinese) to my 1.5 y/o sphynx and it was a disaster. My sphynx and I were terrorized. The newcomer was alpha. A year later, I [nervously] introduced a 12 week old male sphynx to my now 2.5-year-old sphynx and she accepted him instantly. The age, sex, breed and personality all factor in. It fits within your budget and lifestyle, having 2 is twice as nice,

TheZu

Lairian
I think age is honestly more of a factor than sex, especially if they're fixed. Females generally can be a bit more territorial and have longer introductions, but cats are also individuals and every cat is different. Our girl took a bit of time to adjust to her half-brother when we got him (they are a year apart in age), but now they get along just fine. Yours is still quite young, another young cat will likely be easier to introduce regardless of sex.

oolahappi

Lairian
Actually, I forgot about a successful adult female to adult female cat intro. My resident 15 year old cat ruled the household and I was asked to foster a 2-6 year old shelter cat that was depressed and aggressive when handled. BUT, she was submissive, where my cat was alpha. They coexisted just fine because the temperaments meshed well and a pecking order was established quickly. So definitely alpha/beta is important.