Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What should I look for in a vet?

Brodi & Sissy

Lairian
Hello, everyone!

I just joined the sphynxlair! I have two sphynx cats who will be needing a check up soon and am wondering what I should look for in a vet. Their last visit was almost a year ago right before I adopted them. I have been told that not all vets know how to work with sphynx cats. Any suggestions for good vets in Massachusetts or how I should go about finding one would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Kristin, Brodi & Sissy ;)

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome Kristin Brodi & Sissy!!

I think the most important ( and most comforting) factor for a vet who works with sphynx is he/she has got to be a lover of the breed. A few members have had vets (and changed them) who've voiced their disagreeing opinion on the breed, some who are just downright disgusting and then others who are not sure what to make of them. No , no to all of those. The vet you choose needs to be clued up on the breed. There are a few illnesses and traumas that occur very readily to sphynx that only a trained eye can pick up on (hopefully this won't be needed though) do some research and see. Maybe there are some members from or close to the same area as you who could recommend a good vet to you. It's rare that vets have a negative attitude to these amazing kits but just in case get some opinions. Good luck on your search.

Taraforweb

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
yep- when I was looking I always asked if they saw other sphynx cats. If there aren't any in your area, make sure they are familiar with sphynx specific issues.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yeah, make sure the vet isn't horrified at the idea of a Sphynx, that they pay attention to the little detail (they couldn't get a good temp read on El at first because they had her plunked down on a cold, Stainless steel table, so they got her a towel and let her warm up a bit and tried again and she had a normal temp reading!!!)
Our vet, I can't say enough good things about, everyone from the office staff to the vet techs to the vets themselves treat Elvira like she's a rock-star!!!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I left my old vet when they couldnt get me in for my last two emergencies. One of the vets actually said to my face she didnt like sphynx and if she wanted to touch "skin" instead of fur she would have gone to work with humans.

When choosing my new vet I looked around at the newest built clinics in my area, because I like vet staff that are up to date on their stuff. As a vet tech I worked with a lot of old school vets and have horror stories. My new vet mentioned they didnt even stock ketamine in their clinic when I asked them about ketamine for Count's neuter. That sold me on them. Been going there ever since! And even though they are new so they have a higher overhead than older clinics, their prices are good.

NakedNorasMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm out in the middle of nowhere Texas and literally emailed every vet in town asking if they knew the breed. Got one yes! Thankfully also the newest clinic in town with the newest technology!

If I wouldn't have found one who knew the breed then I would have tried who was the most interested in learning about them. It all can be learned as long as they are willing to recognize the differences in Sphynx and "normal" cats.

Good luck in your vet quest!

Brodi & Sissy

Lairian
Thanks, everyone for your help!
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I am still getting used to this forum and didn't realize people had already commented on it!

Brodi & Sissy

Lairian
Gradydanni, what sort of illnesses should I be asking them about?

I don't understand how some vets can be so against these beautiful cats! Everyone that meets Brodi and Sis fall in love with them instantly! (though a few have been a little wary when first seeing their pictures)

A friend of mine's sister actually works at a vet office and has two sphynx of her own! So I will be bringing them to her place for their checkups, which puts my mind at ease.

uzska75

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My vet works at a place that is only for cats. They only have a few sphynx clients but are super in love with the breed and knowledgable. Ferns first visit everyone came in to see her. The vet even pulled up pics of his other sphynx clients to show me how beautiful they are. I was impressed with his knowledge of the breed specific issues.
It's kind of a pain to deal with one vet for my cat and another for my dogs and yet another for my bird but I think they are all great with my animals and their specific breeds.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i agree with everything said. i also think its important to have a vet who is willing to listen to you and take your feelings/opinions into count. we had to put one of our sphynx to sleep last week and our vet almost cried. it made me feel good about my vet that he is invested in my pets as much as mine are.

Joleen

Lairian
The clinic we go to had only one female Sphynx client before us, in some odd way we ended up with that same cat a few months ago, so now we have two Sphynx's and they are their only Sphynx clients. It can be really hard to find a vet who is experienced especially when we are the only people who own them in out area! So we had to compromise, the first time we went we had to get my male cat neutered, we had always visited the same vet in Israel who treated him since he was 3 weeks old and I was in the room the whole time and got an explanation about every single thing she did and why she did it. So I really hated the fact that when we got to this new vet I had to hand him over to the receptionist and they just told us to come back after a few hours! I really didn't like that I was already freaking out about the whole thing and no one bothered to even talk to me and explain what they were doing I literally had no idea and that scared the living hell out of me, but then I though you know what they work with our local shelter (where I happen to volunteer) they do this all the time! and I don't think the fact that he's hairless makes any difference (minus the shaving part :LOL:). Thankfully we didn't need to visit them again until he had to get his shots two weeks ago because he is perfectly healthy and has never had a problem.

As for our female cat that we adopted a few months ago, she has feline herpes, and that vet happens to be the same vet that treated her before she got to us so she knows everything there is to know about her situation and has all her medical records, so I trust her with her and once I got to meet her and talk I really liked her. Thankfully I try and read and know as much as I can about medical issues specific to the breed which there is not too many of, so if I ever need to, hopefully not , I can brainstorm together with my vet who is open to ideas and we can find a solution together.

So that was long but basically you need to find someone who you can trust, it can be hard to find someone that knows much about them, my vet told us a lot of vets can go through their whole career and never see one so she thought it was cool she got two.. and there are first times for everything but its a matter of being open to learning, if the vet tries to treat them like they are just a regular cat I wouldn't like that because they are different and they need to consider that and do whatever is in their will to not make any mistakes. I had no experience when I got my first Sphynx but you have to learn somehow. So just find someone that is willing to learn and research if needed and understands that this is a different situation that might require some more attention, as long as you have at least that you will be fine.

Heidi58

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you!
I know that this is an older thread, but it was just what I needed. :)

DIANALKIMMEL

Lairian
I agree that you should look for a vet that either has one of their own or at least knows of them! Our vets both have sphynx. However, that doesn't always mean they are the best!
Our little "Tammy Faye" recently had to have the rest of her teeth removed due to stomatitis (she had half of them removed last year). It's a horrible disease! But that's not the worst part. She needed to stay overnight at the vet after surgery and as a result she had complications from the IV that was left in her front leg. We didn't know she would be left completely alone overnight. She had torn it out! SO, make sure that whoever you choose has an overnight tech to check on your baby! Good luck!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My vet had only ever seen one other Sphynx, but he was very nice and very intrigued about Pixie. Thought she was adorable, even when the little rebel went to climb on everything. :)
He kept stroking her the whole time, too. It'll be interesting when I get to Germany, as the vets may be quite a distance away from where I am. But since the horse vet comes every few weeks, I can ask them if they would inform and treat her too, if need be.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it is ok if your vet hasn't had a lot of Sphynx patients. I would mostly look for a vet that is willing and interested in researching the breed. Tell them that Sphynx have some unique medical requirements such as no ketamine and that the Sphynx ears are naturally more waxy and see what they say. If they tell you they will look into these things more that is what you want. A vet that argues or accepts blindly is what I would be turned off by. Ask them to do research and see how willing they are. Ask them how up to date they are on the latest medical procedures and see what they say. A vet who is interested in staying current is a vet who is more likely also care about the unique needs of each patient.